Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate my gift. I can pick up people's feelings without them actually showing it. Its super bad at work cause I have a bunch of people in line and it makes me wanna scream sometimes. People wonder why I have some sort of social phobia.

I also, with anything technological, can start using without an guidence from someone or a manual. Its nifty when people come in with phone problems (I don't even work for a cell phone company ) and I can help them fix it within like 5 min. It mostly starts off at our photo counter and my managers or coworkers tend to call me up and ask me to fix the phone for them cause they can't find their pictures. Why me?

Comment

Quoth mharbourgirl View Post
      I'll have you know it's very painful to snort 7-up through one's nose. And my primary monitor is NOT at all pleased at the moment.
      If you're going to drink cola while reading CS, be sure it's either Pepsi or Royal Crown. Some people might get the wrong idea if you say you were snorting Coke.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth cashierbex View Post
        I hate my gift. I can pick up people's feelings without them actually showing it.
        basically you're an empath....I can't imagine how hard it would be to be surrounded by that all the time.

Quoth Seshat View Post
        It depends a lot on how it's done. Even 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead' has too much background detail and too many things going on.

Yes, RL is very hard for me too.
        Well if you get a chance try movies based on plays...again examples are

Butterflies are Free (1972)
        Closer

They tend to not have a lot of background stuff going on.
        Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 04-03-2012, 04:26 PM.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess

basically you're an empath....I can't imagine how hard it would be to be surrounded by that all the time.
          I'm an empath too. There's a reason I want *out* of retail. (and I work for the same company as cashierbex )
          Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
          Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

My superpower is knowing exactly how much to leave at a restaurant before I've seen the bill. If you know the prices of the food you got, add 'em up. Then find ten percent -- easy, just move the decimal place over. Then multiply that ten percent by three and you have thirty percent. Add that to the cost of the food. You're done.

I'm in Ontario, where sales tax on restaurant food used to be 15%, so tax plus tip was an even 30%. One of the taxes has been lowered so now the total tax on restaurant food is 13%. So I overtip just a bit.

Comment

Quoth cashierbex View Post
              I also, with anything technological, can start using without an guidence from someone or a manual. Its nifty when people come in with phone problems (I don't even work for a cell phone company ) and I can help them fix it within like 5 min. It mostly starts off at our photo counter and my managers or coworkers tend to call me up and ask me to fix the phone for them cause they can't find their pictures. Why me?
              I got a bit of the knack, too. I have on occasion been able to diagnose (correctly) a problem with someone else's computer, within a few minutes of meeting the person, and not being in the same part of town as the computer.

Okay, it was once.

About 10 years ago.

SC
              "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

I swear I'm psychic or prescient.

I seem to clear up stuff as if I'm not going to be in the next day when I have no reason to expect so (eg. gave the boss paperwork for the auditors Monday and had to take Tuesday off to help family... paperwork was required Tuesday.

I constantly know which boneheaded scheme of 'ignorance' that my customers are going to come up with next (eg. Pre-warning a client they need to deduct from us X amount GBP - If I hadn't they would have shorted me £200 on the currency just because it matched on their system As it is I can prove they've known that wasn't accepted for them to do that now.).

I also seem to know when that I need to be up early/in a certain place etc. and somehow manage to be without knowing what problem is about to hit... Its not fun for the day you wake up with the Impending Doom Cloud and have to wait for all day before it actually hits though.
                I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

My super power is to remember tiny little details, just so long as the trivia is completely useless.

Remembering how to do differential equations? Not a chance.

Knowing that the first three conservative PMs of Canada (a country I've never visited) had a first name of John and were all knights (and two of whom died in office)... yeah, sure thing. I bet that one comes up when I go on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire...

Comment

According to how things went this morning (and other, similar mornings which are thankfully VERY few & far between) my superpower is waking up with *just* enough time to still make it to work, should I somehow sleep through my alarm or have it fail to go off...

Woke up 10 minutes before shift start, it's a 12 minute drive on a good day... We get a 5-minute leeway period before we have to please-explain why we're late, & I made it with 17 seconds to spare - yes, I was paying very close attention!
                    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I have a real knack for remembering numbers. Back in jr high and high school, before cell phones were popular and invaded the public schools, I could remember phone numbers of my friends really easily. When I got my driver's license and started applying for jobs, it took me no time to remember my license number and SS number. I know my own phone number because I'm always spouting it off to someone or need it to apply for a job.

My current job is a grocery store and it's the second one I've worked at (third if you count wally world but I was only there 3 months and never worked up front) and I know most of the produce codes like the back of my hand, even obscure ones like habanero peppers. I also used to work at a chocolate factory that made truffles and all the different types of truffles had codes that you needed to print labels and I knew most of them by heart. Co-workers who were either lazy or bad at remembering numbers would just ask me instead of looking in the book.

I'm also quick with numbers for the most part, especially when dealing with money. I've delivered pizza at two different jobs(same company) and when I worked at a burger joint, I'd often hit exact amount instead of typing in what people gave me, and would be able to count backwards and know quickly what their change was.

I guess being good with numbers is why I'm about to graduate with a degree in math.

I also really enjoy reading. If I'm were not busy with work/school or distracted by video games, I would read. When I went without internet for a little while, I started going to the bargain section of the local bookstore and buy 2 or three books at a time and I'd be done in a week with all of them.

Comment

I'm right-handed but can write with my left, though it tends to be backward. And cursive. I have to really think to make it read correctly.

I also have the amazing ability to transpose numbers. I cannot be trusted to give a correct number. If the number is "18" and I am looking at the number in front of me, 95% of the time I will say "81" or not know what number it is at all and just stare blankly at it like I'm waiting for it to say its own name or something. I can DO simple math, it just takes me a really long time because first I have to figure out what the number is, THEN figure out what to do with it, THEN doublecheck myself because I have invariably tansposed a number and am off by a lot. I am so embarrassed by that.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                          NO, don't wish that. I read very fast. So fast that I need at least 3 books for an 8 hour plane trip. I want to savor good books, but my eyes just keep moving on and my brain processes the story, and then the great book is done in 3 hours and I wanted it to take longer.

(I waited until all the Harry Potter books were out...and read them over one weekend.)
                          only 3? now I'M jealous. It takes me about 45 minutes to read a 300 page book that is not simplistic (like a romance). less for simplistic books like romances or kids books (some of which are very well written.) I usually carry 8-10 books with me at all times.

Comment

Quoth Skeen View Post
                            I'm right-handed but can write with my left, though it tends to be backward. And cursive. I have to really think to make it read correctly.

I also have the amazing ability to transpose numbers. I cannot be trusted to give a correct number. If the number is "18" and I am looking at the number in front of me, 95% of the time I will say "81" or not know what number it is at all and just stare blankly at it like I'm waiting for it to say its own name or something. I can DO simple math, it just takes me a really long time because first I have to figure out what the number is, THEN figure out what to do with it, THEN doublecheck myself because I have invariably tansposed a number and am off by a lot. I am so embarrassed by that.
                            I could be wrong, but it sounds like number dyslexia. My oldest daughter was diagnosed with that and that is what happens with her. she transposes numbers when reading or writing them unless she is extremely careful.

Comment

I seem to be walking imbd.com I can't remember my own phone number but can remember movies people have been in. People can describe what they are looking for and I can figure it out and then go on to list what else they were in.

I also seem to be able to know what is going on with many different sports even ones I don't watch.

No one plays Trivial Pursuit with me.
                              Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

I'm a trivia nut too...I used to read almanacs for fun

This one is less useful as a moneymaking opportunity, but I'm really good at whistling songs...in the right key, even. I used to amuse myself by whistling entire albums. Some people, sadly, do not like my constant whistling. *sad face*
                                "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X