This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinda nervous, but kinda YAY!

From July 4, 2011 til now I have been employed with a third party medical equipment repair company. Tomorrow is my last day with them. I am moving back down to the armpit of Texas and taking my old security job back.

From the beginning of this job i have worked hella long hours, been working myself to the bone and driving so many miles in my company van that i fall asleep still seeing headlights going by my closed eyelids. I saw my family more when working 7 12 hour shifts in a row in the security job than i do on a typical week at this one.

The online system we are required to put our work orders into, is glitchy at the best of times, and often takes more time to get work orders into the system than it does to actually do the work

when i moved up to Colorado for the job, i stayed in a hotel for about two months while i waited for my boss to decide where he wanted to place me. When he finally decided, i got an apartment, 6 months later, he tells me that there is not enough work to keep me there, and wants me to move a little over 300 miles away to cover an area that one of our other techs was leaving. He tells me the company will help me get out of my lease, etc...

So i break my lease and move up to where he has asked me to cover. I have been up here for two months in a hotel again... and then two weeks ago, he calls me and tells me that he is coming up to talk to me, when he comes up, he tells me he has not been satisfied with my work, and that he has been contemplating firing me since before i moved up here... then asks me to meet with him again the following day. When we met again, he had me pick him up and we went to a steakhouse, and while he treated me to a steak dinner, tells me that he thinks i am not satisfied with the job, i lay out my complaints, and we agreed to part ways amicably.

So now after spending all these months away, i called my old boss at the security job, and he said he had hoped i would come back, and missed me since i had left, that i would be able to basically set my own schedule once i get back. Hell he never even took me off his employee list. So at least i have a job to go back to, of course i make about a third what i made up here, but cost of living is cheaper down there too.

So i am nervous about having to move AGAIN, but happy because my family lives in the area, so i will have a place to stay, hell i think they are throwing a barbeque once i am back down there. Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest. I promise i will post some SC stories from the repair job once i am down south again and have internet once more. some of them are kinda funny...
    ~LSTYD~
    Quote: Dalesys:
    you may want to take a census of your brain squirrels... maybe one escaped?

I'm so glad for you. Sometimes a pay cut is worth it.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Sounds like the cut in wage will lead to a massive increase in quality of life, and really once your bills are covered that is what matters most. Good luck!
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Thanks guys, I just turned in all my stuff with the company today, and to add some wonderfulness, i may be getting screwed out of my last paycheck... And i don't really care, i am just glad to be rid of them... I was pissed as hell at first, but you know what, they will get theirs eventually, karma has a way of running over dogma...
        Last edited by Twinblade; 03-30-2012, 02:14 AM. Reason: Edit to add
        ~LSTYD~

Comment

Quoth Twinblade View Post
          Thanks guys, I just turned in all my stuff with the company today, and to add some wonderfulness, i may be getting screwed out of my last paycheck...
          Oh, no, do not let them get away with that. You're not working there anymore, and you're not going to use them for a reference, so fight for it.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

All the best for the move back Sounds like it's an improvement! And here's hoping you do get that last pay
            Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
            What's the difference?
            We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Wagegoth is right; don't let them screw you out of that last pay. You earned it, it's yours, they've no right to keep it.

I think you're making the right decision. I went through a similar job change last year (though I didn't have to move to a different city). Sometimes the better job is the one with less pay but less stress. What good is extra money if you're too stressed out and unhappy to enjoy it?
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Sorry it has been a while, just got net back, had to reconnect an old wifi card i had laying around. I did get my last check, but only after my old boss saw a post on my wife's facebook calling him out on his moronic reasoning on keeping my last check... I was only down here three days before the new boss was begging me to start working, they were in serious need of my help. I have been working long assed hours, but things are starting to shape back up. Things are looking up!
                ~LSTYD~

Comment

Glad to hear it, Twinblade!
                  "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                  X