This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning down Overtime because of feeling uneasy

So, the company I work for, esp in the Florida markets, doesn't give much for overtime and other things.

I today got a call from my roomate, she works at a different store than me, who knows I been aching for extra money saying that a store was needing people desperately enough to give OT. I woulda gone, but I never felt comfortable in the area the store is in. Its in the damn Ghetto. A bad part of town, at night. Sure things are fine for the most part, but I was in that store once and almost everything was locked up due to high theft rates. Not gonna risk my hide for any amount of money.

Was I wrong to do this? Roomate doesn't get it.

Everyone has their own comfort level. You have to weigh that against how badly you need the money. No right or wrong on this one, and I wouldn't worry about someone else not getting it.

I've been selling stuff on Craigs List lately, and if hubby isn't around, I've been known to make up an excuse for a particular buyer just because I got a bad vibe, or gut instinct (I'll meet someone at a neutral/safe place when possible, but not always possible on some items). Might lose a sale, and will never know if I did "right", but sometimes you have to listen to your instincts.

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Seconded.

I've turned down extra hours knowing full well that I needed the money. Especially with this one place that would give me about twenty hours a week and then call me in every. Single. Day.

Comment

The store I work at is in a shitty middle class neighborhood. Theft is high so shit is locked up all over the store. I would never have applied to that particular location had I not originally lived a five minute walk from it.
        I now live in the ghetto and there's a <my store> location half the distance in the other direction. But I will not go to that store cause it's deeper in the ghetto (I live on the edge of the ghetto, it's totally ghetto but it's not as bad as further in). I've talked to quite a few managers and co workers that have worked at that store and the theft is insanely high.
        So I agree with the 'trust your instincts' sentiment. I'm ok with my street (and general area) cause I live here but after I move I ain't coming back unless it's unavoidable.
        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

ALWAYS trust your instincts.

Comment

*nods* Never ignore what your instincts tell you, especially when it's with regard to your safety.
            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I turned down a trip to a store 1 1/2 hours away last year. It would've been 40 hrs, extra pay for working overnights, a paid hotel room, mileage, and food $. But my instincts said my car wouldn't make it, and other rides just weren't working out. Ultimately, I had to say no. Imagine if I'd said yes and my car broke down 50 miles from home.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

A neighborhood I lived in many years ago was on the edge of it. I wouldn't go out at night without my oversize Briard to keep me company. There was a 7-11 a block away from our apartment. For a long time, the night person was a big guy that took no shit. He quit. They hired a woman to replace him. She was raped less than two weeks later.

I'm so glad I had my dog.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Oh, that's awful! At another retail store where I worked a girl was raped in the back room. After that, and by the time I started there, we were never to close alone, period. The store manager felt soooo awful about it.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Yeah, I coulda had my old manager, but he's shorter than I am. He is athletic, but not full of muscle.

The roomie kept saying she was fine and blah blah blah. I told her, I rather not. Plus it was only 2 extra hrs of OT. Big deal. Now if it was 10, give me a Scooby Snack or 2 and I think I could be ok. Yeah, right.

*I know I said no amount of money would make me go to the store, but I could be talked into doing it, if the price is really right

Comment

Quoth cashierbex View Post
                      Was I wrong to do this? Roomate doesn't get it.
                      Not at all.
                      If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

I've turned down overtime on the basic principle that I didn't feel it was right that we weren't given proper notice, or that it was sprung on us right before the Holidays, or that it was unneccessary, and we'd all be standing around and getting yelled at for standing around with no work.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I don't blame ya. I wouldn't work at a job that's in a bad area. I'm a female and I don't wanna work in a job where there's a chance I along with the store get robbed and I could be shot or killed in the process.
                          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth cashierbex View Post
                            *I know I said no amount of money would make me go to the store, but I could be talked into doing it, if the price is really right
                            There are three main factors that push what a job pays up.

- Special training needed
                            - Undesirable work
                            - Dangerous work

What you perceive to be dangerous will affect how much you are willing to work for. It is nothing to be ashamed of.

My current job meets the first two criteria - you need special skills learned over time, plus it's a bugger of a job to do unless you have the right sort of mindset (a lot of people wince when I tell them what I have to do on a daily basis). Consequently, even in the poor economy, i'm supporting my family on one income easily.

Comment

just because it's money doesn't mean it's worth the risk.

hell i've even turned down working an extra hour at my current job... not because of risk level but because i was tired and just felt a single hour more wasn't worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X