This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Treasure View Post
    "Are you TRYING to make my last 3 sifts as obnoxious as possible? because I've been here X number of years/months and always do XYZ.... "
    Sadly they treat all their employees like this pretty much all the time. They believe in scripting every single situation down to your tone and freak out if you forget one of your scripts.

It has been like this since I started, they treat the other cashiers just as badly, we have to memorise scripts for pretty much every customer interaction. Including "how to thank a customer if a customer uses a competitor coupon" and "how to state our opening hours" and "how to ask the customer to sign up for our loyalty club" and you are NOT allowed to deviate from that script one bit.

It is the most micro managed workplace I have ever worked in. They even have a list in order of how to close at night. I have to vacumn the entrance, clean the bathrooms, sweep them mop the floor, then collate coupons, loyalty club applications, check the registers for paper etc etc.
    I am supposed to do them in the order THEY state but it sends you from one end of the store to another so I do all of the assigned tasks but in my own order working from the most urgent to the least (from the front of the store to the back) and the managers FREAK about it. When I point out that my way is faster and gets them the numbers they need from cash quickly they tell me "thats true but you have to do it in the order HQ has mandated".

The customer service manager has literally told me they don't want employees to try an think of new ways to do thing, to just concentrate on getting their compliance up (sticking to the scripts) even if it doesn't make sense or help the customer. So even if a customer hands me their loyalty card, I MUST ask them to sign up for our loyalty card which makes me look like an idiot and the customer think I am an idiot. When I asked if I could just thank them instead or ask if another family member would like to sign up I was told "just follow the HQ prompts"

.....okaaaaaaay

Oh good news though!
    I miscalcuated when I am leaving so I am handing in my notice this Sunday/ Monday instead of next week so I could literally be having my LAST shift in a few days YAYYYYYY!!!!
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

At that last point, after everything else, and the fact I was leaving their employ, I would have said "Oh, go to Hell!" and walked/drove away. If they fired me, then they fired me, I'd find a way to make up for the $150.00. The additional stress is just not worth it.

SC
      "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post
        sit back and enjoy the show (best if done with the Bored Now (tm) expression on your face)
        If you want to burn your bridges, this is actually a very good way to do it. The less you react to their micromanaging, the more you upset them. Even better if you're able to greet everything they tell you with a little Mona Lisa smile.

Trust me on this. Hard to do at first, but if done right can reduce any micromanager to gibbering fury. Might make your last few shifts quite . . . enjoyable.

Comment

If they have enough time to watch your every move and "mistake", they have time to help or do it themselves.

That's what I keep trying to tell myself I'm going to tell Crazy Lady or Trainer when they nitpick at me. One thing one minute, something else the next.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
            Sadly they treat all their employees like this pretty much all the time. They believe in scripting every single situation down to your tone and freak out if you forget one of your scripts.
            There was a SF novel, I believe by L. E. Modessitt, JR, where a parolee was stuck in a sales clerking job; in the job, the kid wore a mask, which displayed a computer-generated face, spoke in a computer-generated voice, and the computer prompted the kid into performing his robotic tasks for the soul-killingly-sucky customers.

He eventually killed himself.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
              There was a SF novel, I believe by L. E. Modessitt, JR, where a parolee was stuck in a sales clerking job; in the job, the kid wore a mask, which displayed a computer-generated face, spoke in a computer-generated voice, and the computer prompted the kid into performing his robotic tasks for the soul-killingly-sucky customers.

He eventually killed himself.
              Sounds like an interesting book. I tried to find more information, but Mr. Modesitt has written a lot of books. Any of those titles look like the right one?
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Heh. If I'd remembered which one it was, I would've said.

Comment

It seems as though that they are setting people up to fail. Methinks that you should document everything that happens to you in case this is wrong so that you will have enough ammo for a future lawsuit.

They'd do better with robots and vending machines.
                  Last edited by cindybubbles; 04-21-2012, 05:47 PM. Reason: Forgot that Kiwi is already leaving.
                  cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Working...
                  X