This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview coming up

I applied and tested for a state job a while ago.

I just now heard back. Seems the Division of Highways is looking for an Office Assistant and are interviewing at the end of the month.

Wish me luck and any advice?
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Good luck!

Advice/things that have worked for me: Smile, shake hands and be polite; Wear a professional red shirt/blouse (supposedly good luck and it makes you stand out to the interviewer); Try for good posture (slouching makes people think you are either a. Lazy b. small c. unimpressive); Highlight what you know and are good at, while showing a desire to learn I.E. you're unsure or do not know the answer, say you're not sure and would look it up; Unobtrusive follow ups are nice (an email a week afterwards if it seems like you might get it, again to stand out); Make sure you have a general understanding of the position (the description of the listing is a good start); relax before the interview, try to go with the flow and remember nerves are good but if you believe you will do well at the job, the interview should be calm, professional and easy; try not to ramble (i do this, and it shows LOTS of nerves)...

Again, Good Luck!
    To ensure it does not happen again, we have changed our slogan to "F%#k you, I'm eating!" ----- Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Oh, hope you have good luck, break a leg and any other ways to say it!

Can't really think of any specific advice other than to dress neatly, be squeeky clean and be polite, the usual advice.
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Send a thank you note or email afterwards.

Good luck!!

Comment

Good luck!

My recent interviews have all been those "freeform" ones where they ask you how you've handled situations in the past & expect you to show an example from either work or personal history, so try & think of any relevant situations beforehand!
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Before you leave the interview room, turn and smile at the people who are still sitting down so that that's their last memory of you rather than your back.
            "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Working...
            X