Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question: a male friend of mine, who would be the first to admit he doesn't taste much in the way of subtleties in food (for instance, organic versus non-organics, buffalo versus cow, but can tell a Granny Smith from a Fiji (apples)), tastes wine as "buttery and disgusting-- like drinking butter." Why is that? Another friend and I have made him try the gamut from really strong reds to even icewine!-- all he had to say about the icewine was that it tasted like sugary butter.
    EDIT: Also, what Whiskey asked. I usually drink by myself or with my friends, and given the backwaterish state I reside in, there's not much call for sophistication, sadly, but I plan on having some sophistication anyway. Suck on that, chavs.
    EDIT EDIT: He can't taste any green teas, but can taste some oolongs and most black teas. Yay for experimenting on a friend!
    LAST EDIT I SWEAR TO DIONYSUS: wow I'm really impressed by your (tiny, very cute) blog!
    Last edited by teh_blumchenkinder; 08-21-2010, 04:19 AM.
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

If you want some help on most facets, give me a holler some time (IM/PM). I have a ton of newbie wine question + i'm decent in web/graphic design

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
      I have a question: a male friend of mine, who would be the first to admit he doesn't taste much in the way of subtleties in food (for instance, organic versus non-organics, buffalo versus cow, but can tell a Granny Smith from a Fiji (apples)), tastes wine as "buttery and disgusting-- like drinking butter." Why is that?
      NOT A WINE EXPERT

but, i'd say palate plain and simple. Some people can taste 1% cocoa, some people couldnt taste chocolate if they were hooked up to an unending hose of delicious fudge.

Try him on red wine, maybe? (kia can dispute/agree accordingly). I'm assumign since apples are acidic, he can taste the differences. Red wine is more acidic, generally, yes kia? Lambrusco is amazing for a cheap, delicious red.

edit; kia, girl. Cooking wine is wine you cook with.
      Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
        edit; kia, girl. Cooking wine is wine you cook with.
        No, cooking wine is what you use to make vinegar with. Use the wine you would drink to cook with. The reasoning? If you won't drink it? why on earth would you eat it?
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I know, i was joking.

Comment

Ok, so this weekend I'll finish up the Sweet Wines post (needs a LOT of editing) and get working on the Flavours, What Are They and Why Does My Wine Taste Like Mushrooms? post.

I'll aim for one major post and two or three minor posts every week.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
              Why Does My Wine Taste Like Mushrooms? post.
              this is one i want to know

Comment

Working...
              X