This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google is just going to take over everything

I logged into my email and I got a notification that I can make calls with my gmail account for free (within canada and the US).

http://www.google.com/chat/voice/compare.html

Has anyone done this? I'd hate to strongly rely on the internet for my communications, but if I could get a 10$/mo prepaid phone and pay 40$ for faster internet per month, itd save me a good amount of money. I don't know how reliable this type of thing is though. I knew skype did calls, but they charge.
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

I got this too, Whiskey.

I've tried it out on a couple of victims friends, and it seems to work pretty well with a USB headset.

Only trouble is I can't wander like with the cordless to the landline. Even the bluetooth has a pretty limited range.

Would I replace my landline with it (or any VoIP/cell service)? NO. In an emergency/powerfail condition, the landline with an old non-cordless phone will work every time.

B
    (20 years doing telecom has taught me this. )
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
    I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth Bandit View Post
      Would I replace my landline with it (or any VoIP service)? NO. In an emergency/powerfail condition, the landline with an old non-cordless phone will work every time.)
      I wouldnt make it my only means of communication. Thats what the prepaid beater phone would be for.
      Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
        I wouldnt make it my only means of communication. Thats what the prepaid beater phone would be for.

I don't even trust cell phones/mobiles/handys for that stuff. They fail way too early with a big power failure.

The good ol' phone network was designed to survive just about anything this side of nuclear war and keep going.

B
        "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
        I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Working...
        X