This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not really sure who was sucky, but I feel bad

I either made this lady mad or made her feel bad for asking, but either way I feel like I did something wrong. Her son (around 10) came up to the cafe to order by himself after a couple of people and before a few. I was alone, as usual, and help didn't come when I called. I was having an unusually busy afternoon, so I was trying to fill food as I went. Now, the young man had his tablet on the counter, as people often are browsing as they shop, but I didn't look at it. I usually don't; privacy and all. So I didn't realize he had a scannable coupon. After I got his food the mom came up and asked him if I'd scanned it and I immediately said, "Oh, umm.." when I realized I'd missed it, as I was thinking of how to fix it. Not even 2 seconds later she was all hurriedly saying, "Nevermind; that's ok." I think she didn't want to hold up the line. I would've given her the difference but she's already backed away, and I just said ok because I didn't know what else to do.

So I helped a couple of other people, running around, and she was looking at the receipt. She came up and asked about a 40-cent charge that I didn't recognize. I mean the description was US and some numbers. We don't even charge that amount for condiments, so it was weird. Right after she asked she defensively said, "I'm just asking!" as if I was going to challenge her. I didn't really even get a chance to think or answer. I did then say it was probably an adjustment or the "charge" for the condiment, as the combinations haven't been ringing up correctly. "We didn't order a combo." "Oh, well, the computer automatically combos that drink with that item." At this point I figured it didn't matter why it was on there and I didn't know if she'd been overcharged or not, but what the hey, let's assume she had. I said, "How much do you think it overcharged you? I can refund that amount." Whatever she'd say would be fine with me. She declined and was acting so weird, like she was embarrassed or thought I wasn't sincere. Either way, it made me feel bad. She ended with "you've been enough," whatever that means. I mean, I have no idea if she thought I was imposed upon or if she didn't like my service and had had enough dealing with me. I really, really wasn't sure; it could've been either. I'm frustrated she didn't let me make it right. I wanted her to be happy; I felt bad I'd missed the discount in the first place. It kind of ruined my shift.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Don't let it. It was HER fault she sent a child to pay instead of getting her lazy butt up and doing it herself.

Comment

I think she was trying to teach him about money and stuff, but it wasn't a good time. I would've done it when the cashier wasn't busy.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Kittykat View Post
        Don't let it. It was HER fault she sent a child to pay instead of getting her lazy butt up and doing it herself.
        Quoth Food Lady View Post
        I think she was trying to teach him about money and stuff, but it wasn't a good time. I would've done it when the cashier wasn't busy.
        I have to go with these, you did nothing wrong...

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          Definitely better to teach a valuable life skill like that when it's slower - IMO when it's busy, the child could become flustered and the parent may be rushing as well. Not a good teaching moment time for either party (or us retail peons for that matter.)

I wouldn't sleep over it (even though that's easier said than done) - Mom should have been there with the child.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
            I wouldn't sleep over it (even though that's easier said than done) - Mom should have been there with the child.
            Don't you mean lose sleep over it?

Comment

I hate when people come up with a vague question and then don't even seem to want help or an answer when you try to help them. If people think something is wrong on the receipt I don't mind looking at it (or getting a manager to do it) because mistakes happen. Yesterday I charge this poor lady for two of her items twice. Oops! She came back in and got her refund. But at least she was clear with her question.
              I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Working...
              X