Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you can't afford empathy/sympathy, don't interact with anyone or anything.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you can't afford empathy/sympathy, don't interact with anyone or anything.

I work at a pet store. We get tons of scammers, thieves, and assholes. But it's these kinds of people that just make me wonder how they survive interactions with other people.

Yesterday, I had a guy come up to me and tell me that they have a very old dog who is "suffering horribly and in a lot of pain" and they can't afford to "put her down" but he read online there is something he can buy over the counter to give her to kill her. All said with the most nonchalant tone and body language, like it was all no big deal.

I'm actually really glad he asked me about this instead of anyone else working at the store. I don't think anyone else would have taken the question well.

So, of course, the answer is no, we don't carry that. I suggested that he call around and he says he did, the cheapest was $120. I told him that that was about the right price for that. He just kind of shrugged and wandered off. Poor dog.

This other one was today.
    We'll have a script for this one. Just imagine the customer's tone in the most snotty, inconvenienced SC tone you can manage.

Me: *goes into room with the phone* This is going to be an awkward call.
    CW: Why?
    Me: You'll hear. *dials phone*
    Cust: Hello?
    Me: Hi, this is Rayndel calling from Pet Store, is this Mrs. Cust?
    Cust: Yes, we were just about to leave to see you for our appointment today.
    Me: That's why I'm calling. OtherCW just found out she had a death in her family and won't be able to meet with you today.
    Cust: Oh great.
    Me: ...she said to tell you she's really looking forward to the class and you can start next week.
    Cust: Well. We're going to be out of town next week. I mean, I feel for her. I've been going through pictures.

I ended up making arrangements for her to meet with a different coworker today, but my words after hanging up the phone was "What a bitch." I'm glad (in a way) that my coworker was too busy crying to call to try to reschedule herself.

Sigh. I can't stand people sometimes.

If I had helped the person in the first story, he wouldn't have walked out of the store. Yes putting a pet down is expensive, I've done it twice, but I think it's an expense well worth it if it helps the poor thing.
    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

And in cases of genuine poverty, vets will often allow you to pay in installments. Especially if they know you and your pet.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

In many cases, the vet will charge less than the cost of that "over the counter stuff," while being more humane about it.

And the second one is of the, "Oh, it's okay for her to grieve, as long as it doesn't effect ME."
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

If you ever need to euthanize a pet on the cheap, check with your local humane society. I had to put a dog down once and they did it for $25. The staff was very kind and it was nice to not have to worry about the expense.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Oh my God that poor, poor dog

Comment

It disappoints me to think of scammers, thieves and assholes at a pet store. I was happier thinking people who owned pets were mostly nice. I don't even lock the car door at the veterinary clinic.
              I wonder if the first customer was looking to kill a neighbor's dog who annoyed him?

Comment

I was thinking that too...main reason I could come up with for wanting "over the counter" stuff (no paperwork and no proof of what was purchased).

If we left the car unlocked at the vet, one of the shelter dogs would probably wind up hopping in the car
                Last edited by Dreamstalker; 06-26-2014, 02:06 PM.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Round here, there's a charity called Blue Cross which helps poor people with vet stuff. I really hope that guy didn't just go and buy a dose of rat poison instead for his poor dog.

I used to work in a pet store and a lot of the customers were nice, but there was this percentage of rude, obnoxious, scamming arseholes who used to get on my nerves. Sadly, idiots come in all types, animal lovers and all.
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
                    It disappoints me to think of scammers, thieves and assholes at a pet store. I was happier thinking people who owned pets were mostly nice.
                    If that was true then the RSPCA wouldn't exist. Sorry, there are bastards in every sub-section of the population.
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I used to volunteer at the local MSPCA shelter (I had to stop because the one bus line that services that area no longer runs on weekends). Based on a few things I saw while there, I can say that the above is very true. We had some lovely animals surrendered because the owner didn't realize they had to clean a litter box or any real work that's involved with a pet.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                        We had some lovely animals surrendered because the owner didn't realize they had to clean a litter box or any real work that's involved with a pet.
                        At least they were semi-decent; they donated them to you, rather than drowning them in the bath or throwing them in the river/sea in a black sack. Some people really need to be
                        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Working...
                        X