Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deranged Homocidal Maniac Tries To Kill Me (kind of long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Along with pressing charges, make sure your higher ups know. This is perfect grounds for a ban/trespass, which will allow you to call the cops if the guy sets a foot on the property!

Hell, next time he might corner one of those that can't defend themselves at all.
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I seriously would call the police and find out what they intend to do. If the guy was arrested only for attacking the officers, that could mean he was taken in for a psych evaluation and will be treated but not charged. Many times, police and prosecutors see those assault actions of a mentally ill person to be just part of the job, and nothing comes of it if an officer was not injured.

If a civilian was a victim, however, the charges usually result in prosecution.
      "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
      .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

That was severely scary. I hope your company's workman's comp will cover your injuries. What did your manager tell you to do?

Are you allowed to carry pepper spray in your jurisdiction? If not, or you can't do that at work, you might want to carry a steering wheel lock in the front of your car. It makes a good weapon if needed (there's a reason they call it The Club...)
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
          Uh, gang, "psychotic" and "psychopath" are not synonyms. Just saying.
          This is true. All psychopaths are psychotic, but not all psychotics are psychopaths.

(I'm probably vastly simplifying or possibly even wrong, but it's a pithy phrase that I had to put out there.)

Real talk: Glad you're OK, OP, and I agree with everyone else urging you to contact the police and see what can be done at your place of work to ban your attacker in case he's put back on the streets.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Aaaaaannndd he's out. I just saw him walking around not half a block from my work.. yeah... the police don't give a shit if he hurts anyone.. I'm definitely gonna press charges.. He comes anywhere near this place I'm calling the cops.. not that they'll care!

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              Tama, some do, some don't. It varies from crazy person to crazy person, and from psychosis to psychosis.
              Very true. The neighborhood I have the pleasure of working, has quite a bit of drug activity. There's actually a crack house next door to the office. Seriously. For the most part, the crackheads keep to themselves. Sure, they might be rocking back and forth in the fetal position on the porch, but they're usually harmless. Same with the drunks and the stoners talking to fire hydrants. Give them space, and they'll leave you alone. There are a couple of meth users in the area, and most of us walk the other way when we see them coming. Those fuckers are truly scary, and you *don't* know what they'll do. I've seen a couple, screaming at the top of their lungs on the bridge, and another attempt to throw herself through a plate-glass store window
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

If your local laws allow it, maybe invest in a pocket knife? One with assisted opening would be good for situations like that. I just hope you won't have to use it..
                Out of retail!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  Are you allowed to carry pepper spray in your jurisdiction? If not, or you can't do that at work, you might want to carry a steering wheel lock in the front of your car. It makes a good weapon if needed (there's a reason they call it The Club...)
                  The problem with The Club is that it is usually in the car, and not always accessible when needed. My suggestion would be a Mag Light. Same type of flashlight the cops use, and they use it for a very good reason: it makes one hell of a club. I would recommend the 3D or 4D (indicates both size and amount and type of batteries needed). Most cops use the 4D. I've found the 3D is just fine for me. After all, most of the time you'll never need it as more than a flashlight. And when you do need it as a skull cracker, the 3D works just fine.

The Mag Light is good for a few reasons. One, when you're walking through a dark parking lot, you can light up your way, and this will deter some would-be attackers. Two, it is a great skull cracker or club. Three, it gives you more confidence merely having such a badass tool. Four, Mags are legal everywhere, and you don't need any permit or license to carry one.

Two things: first, carry it the way the cops do, with it up by your shoulder and your grip like it would be on a club. The cops don't use this grip for show; if needed as a weapon, the Mag is already in position to come down hard on the offender. If you carry it like most people carry a flashlight (down by your waist), the grip is all wrong for defense, and you'll have to adjust. Better to be ready. Second thing, this is one of the few times I would definitely suggest being brand loyal, and getting the Mag Light brand. I once made the mistake of getting another brand, and it was flimsy as hell. I returned it within the week and got a real Mag. Mags have heft. Get a Mag if you go this route.

Quoth protege View Post
                  Very true. The neighborhood I have the pleasure of working, has quite a bit of drug activity.
                  There is a difference between crazy people and people who are crazy because of drugs. In self-defense terms, it doesn't always matter which they are, but there is a difference.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    Is it a dirty move? Absolutely. So what?
                    The OP mentioned planning to watch the season finale of Game of Thrones; there was a fight in that episode with one or two dirty moves that might be useful.

Comment

Quoth Nordel View Post
                      I'm definitely gonna press charges..
                      What kind of charges would be most appropriate in this case? Cavalry? Infantry with fixed bayonets? Shaped?

Quoth Jester View Post
                      Two things: first, carry it the way the cops do, with it up by your shoulder and your grip like it would be on a club. The cops don't use this grip for show; if needed as a weapon, the Mag is already in position to come down hard on the offender. If you carry it like most people carry a flashlight (down by your waist), the grip is all wrong for defense, and you'll have to adjust.
                      Trying to visualize this (have a Mag near the computer). The grip you're describing, is it with the thumb toward the tail of the flashlight, tail of the flashlight resting on the shoulder, and either little finger or the one next to it on the switch? By "like most people carry a flashlight", I assume you mean with the thumb toward the head, and on the switch.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I found a crowbar.. gonna keep that under my seat just in case. I like the mag light idea.. seems like you could do some damage without killing a person so easily. A crow bar to the head might cause death.. I feel better having it though.

Comment

Quoth Nordel View Post
                          I found a crowbar.. gonna keep that under my seat just in case. I like the mag light idea.. seems like you could do some damage without killing a person so easily. A crow bar to the head might cause death.. I feel better having it though.

can you carry mace where you live? Because mace.

I'd suggest a stun gun, too, but the guy probably wouldn't feel it.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                            Maglights are freaking awesome! Even a smaller one can be an effective weapon when used in the same manner as a kubotan - kubotans are considered offensive weapons in some areas so may not be entirely legal, but a long skinny flashlight would pass. Which reminds me...I need another maglight...
                            I was just about to say this. Have been doing some training lately with my instructor about Kubotans and he said a small maglite works just as well.
                            I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Just a note. I don't mind advice for self-defence; the sensible sort of advice, anyway. Not overly happy about armchair diagnoses of mental health issues.

Can we steer away from those please?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                                Trying to visualize this (have a Mag near the computer). The grip you're describing, is it with the thumb toward the tail of the flashlight, tail of the flashlight resting on the shoulder, and either little finger or the one next to it on the switch? By "like most people carry a flashlight", I assume you mean with the thumb toward the head, and on the switch.
                                That would be correct, Wolfie. While it's possible to get from "casual" to "tactical" positioning relatively quickly, it takes practice, and not something you want to be doing when you have an individual coming at you.

Having carrierd a 4D Maglite when working SCA security, I can attest to their usefulness.
                                "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Working...
                                X