X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
    Wait, there are still cars with stick shifts? *mind blown*

In all seriousness, when I was looking for a new car some odd years ago the roommate pointed out that the stick shift cars were about 3-5k less then the automatic and said that I should consider getting one. I told her as I'm about to tell everyone else: I've never driven a stick, I've never learned how to drive one, and if you don't want to pick my body from the morgue, I'm sticking with an automatic.
    Yup =) Currently sitting out front is a 1984 Chevy S-10 [Zombie 2] that is a manual, a 1996 VW Jetta in manual, a Grand Caravan momvan in auto and a 2006 VW Jetta in diesel automatic. We have never locked the s10 or the 96 jetta, leave the keys n the visor of the s10 and am proud to say that neither the unlocked jetta nor the keys in s10 have ever been taken for a joy ride [despite a spate of stolen cars in our county and area about 2 years back ]

My ultimate desired vehicle right now would be the diesel manual Ford Kuga we rented in Germany about 5 years back ... the ergonomics were fantastic, it was amazingly comfortable and was a blast on the autobahn in the open speed sections, there is something viscerally satisfying about opening up and seeming to float past cars gently strolling along in the right lane and not worrying about cops [backstory - I learned to drive in 2 vehicles, a 1973 Chrysler New Yorker, the largest wheelbased car other than a limo in the US at the time] and a Ferrari 308 GTB, a the time I was dating a race driver. I am *really* accomplished at driving urban tanks and sports cars, and I have owned several fairly high end sports cars over the years. I adore manuals =) ]
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
      Wait, there are still cars with stick shifts? *mind blown*
      Don't ever come to the UK then; automatics are nearly as rare as hen's teeth. They're rarely used by anyone other than people with mobility issues, and they sell at a much lower price because they're so unpopular.
      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
        Ah learning to drive a stick. If I were forced to I could probably do it, but otherwise I'll stick with a standard.
        Quoth wolfie View Post
        I was under the impression that "standard" and "stick" both referred to a manual transmission. What's the distinction between them.
        I was thinking the same thing.
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          I have 10 or 12 places in mind that I'd like to drive one of those through right now...
          Downtown wouldn't be a good choice . . . .might run into a building or some such.

Now I'm reminded of two brothers who took a joy ride in one of those they found hiding in their parents' garage.

Better that than go next door to their crazy aunt who had a missile silo installed her her backyard past the pool.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

The only stick I've driven is 3-on-tree.
            I'm afraid my dyslexia would make me a dangerous driver of traditional stick shift vehicles.

Comment

I've driven both manual and auto in LHD and RHD cars on both sides of the pond, and after a couple of years with a couple of large high powered autos I'm much happier to be back in a small (well, a bit smaller) manual car. Autos are heavier, generally slower to get going, and more expensive to fix when they go wrong - unless you have a very modern manual with a dual mass flywheel! That said, my smallest car (I have a few) is an auto, and is a blast because it's easiest to drive it with one foot on each pedal! Makes for some fun time navigating the tiny gaps in city traffic when you can just brake, turn and accelerate without moving your feet or worrying about which gear you're in

Over here if you pass your test in an auto, you can't drive stick without retaking the entire test... This is mostly only done by those with physical difficulty using full standard controls.
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                I was thinking the same thing.

Bad wording on my part that I didn't notice. I meant Automatic.

Comment

I drive an automatic now, but I learned on stick. My dad was the one who taught me, and that's all he had to teach me with. It was frustrating at first, but now I'm glad I know how to do it. You never know when you're going to need it, like when I rented a U-Haul, and the only thing they had was this piece of junk that must have been at least 20 years old, and was a stick shift.

In addition to putting the parking brake on, my dad also taught me to leave it in gear when it's parked, so that if the brake somehow failed, then it was still less likely to roll away. I got into an argument with my ex over that. It seems that when she went to borrow my car one time, she didn't bother to take it out of gear before she started it up, and it lurched forward. She came back inside and started screaming at me for it. I tried to explain that I left it in gear for a reason, and told her that a) she should have checked it before she started it up, and b) she was lucky I was even letting her use my car, but of course, she was always right and I was always wrong.

I drove stick for over a decade before I finally got an automatic. Before that, I had driven a few rental cars, which were automatic, and it took some getting used to. Not only did I keep reaching for a shifter that wasn't there, one time I pushed my left foot down on the brake, thinking it was the clutch. I got yelled at for that one too.
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                    In addition to putting the parking brake on, my dad also taught me to leave it in gear when it's parked, so that if the brake somehow failed, then it was still less likely to roll away. I got into an argument with my ex over that.....
                    I once tried to explain to a garage owner that I was disturbed when I went to pick my car up that the parking brake wasn't on and the bumper was touching a tree. He said that was policy, that they had once had to pay for a brake that had seized when the vehicle owner blamed the mechanic who parked it for breaking it because 'nobody uses the emergency brake except for an emergency'. So his mechanics were trained not put on the parking brake when they put cars in the yard, even on a standard. That`s also when I found out that mine was the first standard they had in for almost 3 years, and that there was only person on staff who would drive it. He was off when my car was done, and the rest of the guys pushed it out to the parking lot. I did inform my insurance company of the garages behaviour. Coincidently that garage wasn`t on the list of preferred shops I was given a few weeks ago to get my car`s damage assessed. I wonder why

Quoth MadMike View Post
                    Not only did I keep reaching for a shifter that wasn't there, one time I pushed my left foot down on the brake, thinking it was the clutch.
                    I`ve done that a few times, but only in the worst situations. I`ve decided I am not a good automatic driver!
                    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

I've been driving this van for a few months now, and still, when I get into a situation where I'm operating on instinct (accident avoidance type stuff), I still find my left foot trying to jam in the clutch and my right hand looking for the gear shift. Thankfully this van has an hand lever e-brake and a gear shift on the tree, so I haven't managed to screw up too badly.
                      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                        Not only did I keep reaching for a shifter that wasn't there,
                        My Impreza's shifter could easily be mistaken for that of a stick shift. It's in the right place, such that it'd be natural for you to reach for it, it's got a familiar shape (as opposed to previous automatics I've driven, where the shape was a dead giveaway), the only tell is the trigger on the front. Manuals don't have a button to release the stick.

Try to "shift" with it though and while you can throw it left or right, you'll only be toggling manual mode on and off. "Manual mode" doesn't enable/disable the flappy paddles--they're always on--it just tells the tranny not to take back over after a certain time.
                        Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth Golden Phoenix View Post
                          I recall a tv show from many years ago (Possibly called driving school?) featuring a woman named Maureen Rees who had failed her test many times, possibly as many as twenty times according to unsubstantiated googled forum posts, and much ado was made about the fact that she eventually passed, by learning in an automatic.
                          My father taught me on an automatic, even though we also had a stick, and would not teach me stick until I had proven myself a good driver on automatic. He felt that it was best to take advantage of learning good driving habits (rules of the road) without the distraction of shifting, and THEN add in the complication of shifting gears. I think he was right. I did have some trouble learning stick, but that was because I learned on my brothers car, which was a piece of crap with the tightest clutch I've ever used in my life . . . so naturally I had a hard time not stalling. When I later switched to driving Dad's car (also a stick) it was a breeze and I've never had trouble since. I've owned a couple of stick shifts: my old Honda Civic Wagon, and my Jeep CJ 7.

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          I was under the impression that "standard" and "stick" both referred to a manual transmission. What's the distinction between them.
                          I don't think there is a difference; I think the terms both mean the same thing.

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          I hope the vehicle in question was one where the parking brake was a hand lever (both manual and automatic versions of my car have this type), instead of a foot pedal conveniently located to the left of the brake (as in most minivans). The second type could get rather interesting for someone who's used to driving a manual.
                          My Jeep had a foot brake instead of a hand brake. Never had any problems.

Quoth Akasa View Post
                          The only stick I've driven is 3-on-tree.
                          I'm afraid my dyslexia would make me a dangerous driver of traditional stick shift vehicles.
                          It might be easier than you think. Once you learn what positions to pull the shift in, it becomes second nature. You don't even think about it.

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
                          I once tried to explain to a garage owner that I was disturbed when I went to pick my car up that the parking brake wasn't on and the bumper was touching a tree. He said that was policy, that they had once had to pay for a brake that had seized when the vehicle owner blamed the mechanic who parked it for breaking it because 'nobody uses the emergency brake except for an emergency'.
                          My dad taught me to always use the parking brake, even when I first learned to drive on an automatic. Maybe it's because that's how he learned, but it's an ingrained habit. EE's husband gives me a hard time about it because he doesn't think it's necessary, but I prefer knowing my car's not going anywhere even if I'm driving an automatic. I most definitely never fail to engage the parking brake on a stick shift.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Autos are getting more common over here - personally I would love to have a manual but my (American) wife cannot drive manual - she tried learning in my little Integra (god I loved that car) which had one of the most forgiving clutches in history. Sadly she couldn't get the hang of it and then, when she would stall, she'd start to panic. She's had a few bad experiences in cars before so that might play into it (she still refuses to go on the motorway).

Right now we've got an 06 Subaru Legacy - 4 speed auto but with a manual/tiptronic option. Not quite the control I love from a Manual but better than nothing.
                            How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

Oh! My first post!! Okay, automatic vs manual shift cars: I learned on a stick, took my test on a stick, and almost every car I've owned since then was a stick. Several reasons:

In the 70s when I first learned, gas prices were just starting to climb, and stick shift (if driven correctly) really was better on gas. Not so much nowadays, with all those fancy computers and all, automatics are nearly as good as stick shifts.

When I was in my 20s, driving a stick shift meant that I didn't have to loan my car to my friends!! Talk about a serious PLUS! The only friend who could borrow my car not only drove it properly, but would bring it back to me with the oil changed, the tires rotated, and any other minor maintenance done. Win-win.
                              Same with my 30s. Don't have to loan the car to ANYBODY.

Nowadays, even though I live in an area with serious rush hour traffic problems, and stick shift is HORRIBLE in rush hour traffic, I fortunately seem to miss 99% of that traffic, so I bought a stick shift. I did consider that *very* carefully when choosing a new car.
                              This car also came considerably cheaper than usual, because it was a stick shift, nobody wanted it, and it sat on the lot for a year. I got it brand-new for a SONG.

For those who *know* how to drive a stick shift and live in snowy areas, you know what I mean - a stick shift is simply better in snow. It's easier to control the speed of the tires and cut down on slipping and sliding. Especially here, where nobody seems to know how to drive in snow.
                              So I'm a stick shift junkie, and will drive one until I'm too feeble to operate the clutch.

Comment

The problem with stick shift vs auto anymore on the highway is gearing. Too many boi razor wannabes cannot live without being able to launch of the line like a bat out of hell, so all the manuals are geared horribly to compensate. Honda is particularly bad for this.
                                But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                                And it's not what I wanted to be
                                The weight on me
                                Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Working...
                                X