Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ONLY time I'll ever let a customer 'slide' is if it's 1 or 2 cents and they've been nice to me. If you're an SC, well then fork it over pal. I'm salaried so I have all the time in the world to wait

Comment

I will gladly pay you Tuesday for fuel today.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

The size of the stones on these people never fail to astound me, I can't imagine even asking for the store to cover the last couple pennies except at full service stations. I have accepted a penny occasionally when the cashier offered one out of the take-a-penny while I'm searching for one, but if I only have X$ I make very sure to pump that or less when I pump myself. The entitlement complex was strong with this one.
        Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

All the stations I have worked at for the past 20 years have been strickly prepay -- either with a card at the pumps (which only works is you have enough on your card to pay the "hold", or you come in the store and pay me for the exact amount of gas you want, cash, credit, or debit (in which case there is no "hold" on your card. Around here there were far to many drives offs to allow people to pump first.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
            ... some SCs just expect that ...we can 'just let it go' (we can't, I'll get audited if they see a pattern).
            It never ceases to amaze me when a customer, without explanation, just says "Oh, you don't need to charge me for that."

Comment

Quoth judecat View Post
              All the stations I have worked at for the past 20 years have been strickly prepay -- either with a card at the pumps (which only works is you have enough on your card to pay the "hold", or you come in the store and pay me for the exact amount of gas you want, cash, credit, or debit (in which case there is no "hold" on your card. Around here there were far to many drives offs to allow people to pump first.
              Out of interest what happens if you use less fuel than you paid for - do you have to go and get a refund?

I hate using self pay "pay at pump" systems as they make a right mess of credit cards as often the hold doesn't lift for a day or two on my corp card (not good when you're near the limit at the end of the month), unfortunately I've been told I'm only allowed a certain limit and only allowed to use my corp card.

The other issue I find with pay at pump is the person in front usually takes longer to work out you have to put the card in BEFORE you get fuel that it does for them to pay inside.

As for the SC, I used to work for one company that docked anything over £1 EITHER way on your till out of your pay. Not a fun experience with a 4 hour shift at £3ish/hr. So if I'm paying with cash (unusual) I'll always make sure I've more than I need ready to go. I think a lot of "these" people have never actually worked in retail, my father keeps going on about leaving his professional, heavily unionised, job and retiring pushing trollies in Tesco - ok dad, rock on. Even if you did get the job (not going to happen) your mouth would get you booted in about 20 mins.
              Last edited by Amadan; 06-30-2014, 09:40 PM.
              Not y3k compatible

Comment

As it happens, we don't get many driveouts happening at the petrol station... and those who do get picked up by the police, cuz of our CCTV and registration recognition stuff. A lot of people ask me, "But what if they had stolen number plates?" Well, been there for years and never had that problem; maybe the people who drive out are either too stupid to think of that or see stealing number plates as "dishonest"...
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

by the way Lance Nigel Singer, what part of the UK do you live in? pay at the pump is available just about anywhere in London.

Comment

Quoth Amadan View Post
                    Out of interest what happens if you use less fuel than you paid for - do you have to go and get a refund?

I hate using self pay "pay at pump" systems as they make a right mess of credit cards as often the hold doesn't lift for a day or two on my corp card (not good when you're near the limit at the end of the month), unfortunately I've been told I'm only allowed a certain limit and only allowed to use my corp card.
                    Not sure about all gas stations, but the one I work at charges your card only after you hang up the pump. So you do not have to come back in, you just get your modified receipt and get going. The customers love this. The pumps will also shut off if you use a debit card and run out of money in your account. I have seen that happen twice.

Comment

Personally I refuse to use prepay pumps that put a "hold" on a set amount (for example a supermarket chain here has self-service gas pumps that you need to use a credit or debit card for, but regardless of how much you want to pump, it puts a hold on $150 to start out, if you don't have $150 on your card, TOO BAD, NO FUEL FOR YOU! To make matters worse, they have a sign on the pump saying that it can take 5-7 days before the funds can be released (though depending on the bank it can be released immediately) Really the only drawcard that gets people to fill up there is that it is a whopping 15 cents per litre cheaper than competing petrol stations (though it is only 10 cents cheaper than a petrol station just down the road)

I always prepay at the cashier since I can pay via EFTPOS that way, rather than having to put a hold on funds that I may need a couple of days later for whatever reason (being a student I'm on a VERY tight budget, I can't afford to tie up $150 for up to a week).
                      Last edited by Kagato; 07-01-2014, 08:54 AM.
                      Violets are blue,
                      Roses are red,
                      I bequeath to thee...
                      A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth sstabeler View Post
                        by the way Lance Nigel Singer, what part of the UK do you live in? pay at the pump is available just about anywhere in London.
                        It's actually Lace Neil Singer; it's a Metal Sludge name, back when I actually posted regularly on Sludge. Lace = female version of Ace, ie Ace Frehley; Neil = Vince Neil; Singer = Eric Singer. Now I just use it as my handle, cuz it sounds like a name.

I don't actually want to say where abouts I am, but it's near London but not in London. Makes sense that there'd be pay at the pump in London cuz it's a big place. Same goes for twenty four hour petrol stations, which SCs keep on about in much the same way... "But the one in London is twenty four hour!" Yeah, that's nice. XD But here it's not.
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth SixFortyK View Post
                          It never ceases to amaze me when a customer, without explanation, just says "Oh, you don't need to charge me for that."
                          I get that a LOT on SCO when I see something doesn't scan. I saw you toss that pack of steaks down the belt when the register told you it didn't go through (you weighed a corner of the pack so the weights didn't match), yes I think the machines are crap but what makes you think it's free if the register doesn't recognize it?

The SCs I get that pull this always try to 'sympathize' with me, yes I know I make far less than you, all the more reason for YOU to pay for that filet and not me. (cashiers/attendants don't get docked for shrink--YET--but we do get scrutinized if there are too many apparent walkoffs on one person's shift)
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                          X