X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventures with Wildlife

Oh the poor husband.

He's a city boy, born and bred. To him, deer on the side of the road while he's driving is something to freak out over.

Last night, he picked me up from work so we could hit the market and we could get food so I could say I'd eaten more than twice in an 18-hour period. (stress. Work has been hell, and I"m singing later today.) He was on the phone with me, walks out to the car, and then says "holycrap... I just saw a skunk."

"What do you mean, just saw a skunk? Where?"

"Going into our neighbour's garage. Do you know, I think that's the first time I've ever seen a skunk up close?"

"... you're kidding me. Really?" (I grew up in the country. My neighbourkid mistook a skunk for a cat once. And only once.)

"Really. Huh. That was spooky."

Moving on to later... I was too wound up to sleep, so we watched an ep of Torchwood on my iPhone, and then crashed around 1:30, with the alarm set for 6:30. About ten minutes later, husband throws himself out of bed onto the floor, yelling BAT!

"Bat? What? Oh, that's a bat. Goddamnit."

Yes, folks, there was a bat in my apartment. Took us half an hour to wrangle the cats into the bedroom, open all the other windows, and pray the bat found one. The cats were FASCINATED. They're not hunters. Not in the least. But one of them THINKS she is, and the other just thinks that things-that-move are great to watch. Husband was just freaking out about a bat being in the apartment. Poor man. Too much rural in one night for him.

Night before a huge performance, and I have to deal with two squeaking furballs locked in the bedroom with us, while a bat flies around the apartment, and I just have to hope that we actually heard it when it came in, and neither of us were bitten. (ten minutes... I don't think either of us were actually asleep yet, so I think we're safe...)

I was awake till 3. I'm now working on less than four hours sleep (gave the alarm the finger for about half an hour), and have a multi-hour rehearsal, followed by a performance today. This is going to be interesting...

Break a leg KK. And good on you for having the presence of mind to isolate the cats, especially at that time of morning!

Comment

Well at least you'll be insect free for a bit curious of mr. Bat

Comment

Just take it easy today, don't talk much unless you have to. If you can sing half-voice during rehearsal, do it.

I saw a skunk last night too. I crossed the street to avoid it, since I would have walked pretty close. There seem to be a lot of skunks in my neighborhood, judging from the fact that we smell them almost every night.
        "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Did anyone let the neighbor know about the skunk in their garage?

I actually live and work in the city, and we've got skunks and possums all over, still. Used to have foxes, too, tho not sure if there are any of them still about; plenty of wild dog packs, tho.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

KiaKat, with the way your Hubs attracts wildlife (and subsequently freaks out over it), keep him away from Seraph (Enemy of Nature).

That is all.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
              KiaKat, with the way your Hubs attracts wildlife (and subsequently freaks out over it), keep him away from Seraph (Enemy of Nature).

That is all.
              Darn. I was going to make a Seraph joke.

Comment

Still no sign of Mr. Bat. I'm pretty sure he escaped through the window.

Hubs and Seraph have yet to collaborate on a project. I'm counting the world lucky, given the similarity in their ability to attract Really Bad Customers.

And now wildlife... hrm. Yeah. I'm definitely keeping them apart.

We haven't alerted anyone to the skunk yet. Though I'm fairly certain they know about it. I smelled it this morning.

I'm home now. Exhausted and elated. It was an awesome performance, though incredibly hot and humid. My throat is sore, my legs are sore, and my brain is oh so tired. But it was AWESOME.

Comment

Yay! Glad the performance went well

Comment

I'm glad it went well, because going on 4 hours of sleep is torture.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post

"... you're kidding me. Really?" (I grew up in the country. My neighbourkid mistook a skunk for a cat once. And only once.)
                      When we lived in Tombstone, AZ, we had all sorts of interesting wildlife. Including the night my mom was on a neighbor's front porch, barefoot, talking, all the while the neighbor's cat was trying to nibble her bare toes, and she kept scooting it away. Til she looked down, and realized the neighbor's cat wasn't black with a white stripe......

Luckily, she inched her way home, I think the little skunk rather liked her.
                      We also, while living there, had a rattlesnake under the porch, scorpion under a desk, tarantula in the bedroom, poisonous centipede on the school football field, vinegroons (harmless but ugly as sin) and assorted other wildlife. Oh, and when out in the desert bottle-digging with my dad we had to watch for Gila monsters. Such a fun time.

Madness takes it's toll....
                      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Working...
                      X