X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• go 'head and steal

http://upiu.com/articles/retail-stor...it-shoplifters

“Personally, I feel like the laws are made just to protect [shoplifters],” said Jen Santiago, assistant manager of Arden B. in the Palm Beach Gardens Mall. “It’s not really for us.”

*sigh* So, if being an SC and getting something free doesn't work, just steal it! Let's have anarchy in the malls! What difference will it make?
    Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

I feel the same. It always seems to be that good honest people get screwed while the scumbags are safe.
      ......../\
      ....../__\
      ..../\...../\
      ../__\../__\

Comment

How will stores tarnish their reputations if they are known for being tough on shoplifters? I'd shop in a place like that!
        Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Probably some stores think that if a shoplifter's actually caught they'll scream abuse and threaten to sue (that I'd like to see, I can't think of many judges who would let it get far), or try the "but I'm such a good customer/times are HARD" line...which you know a lot of them would. And then "tough on shoplifters" gets twisted in some people's minds to mean "we follow you everywhere" so the sheeple whine about "violating my rights".

The layouts of some stores seem to discourage watching for shady behavior (too few people on the floor/too many blind spots).
          Last edited by Dreamstalker; 05-07-2010, 04:24 AM.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

You mean people are actually taking Morrissey to heart?
            "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

When I worked at Staples they actually had a "no confrontation" policy. If we saw someone shoplifting we were not allowed to intervene. We could only report it to the management who also wouldn't do anything.

Sadly, many companies have this philosophy expecially with internal theft.
              Quote Dalesys:
              ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

The last retail stint I worked at only had one policy which was not to do anything at all (er, I know the police station is around the corner but generally they need to know of an incident). The owner was afraid to actually ban anyone...any shrink discovered during inventory was somehow blamed on the peons. For a short while we had a serial shoplifter; he was a part of one of the weekend gaming groups, myself and all the regulars knew him...rather than ban him alone, the owner decided to ban all $game tournaments until further notice (ie until someone gave the guy up). To my knowledge he hasn't been publicly outed; games are still going on unofficially (and the players have banned the jerk from their tables), but a lot of the organized players have left.
                Last edited by Dreamstalker; 05-07-2010, 01:40 PM.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                  Sadly, many companies have this philosophy expecially with internal theft.
                  I work in an office that does wholesale to a particular industry.

We've got pretty much zero tolerance for proven theft. The depressing part is that we actually have a sign near the time clock about the fact that taking anything without permission is theft. >.<

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                  X