Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 things you shouldn't say to single people.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19 things you shouldn't say to single people.

http://dating.personals.yahoo.com/si...-single-person

Yeah. I agree with all of them. They're just harsh sometimes. Especally that it'll happen when you least expect it. That just not true at all. Or when the time is right you'll meet someone.

When is that time oh master? When I'm fifty? Sure seems like it.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

The one I'm totally tired of hearing is "It happens when your not looking/least expect it." Hmmm, that just sound illogical.

One that I've never had said to me but a friend was complaining about is the old "you're too picky". Her comment: "Really? It's too picky to want someone who acts like an adult, can hold down a job, is kind and has good hygiene?"
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

none of those statements really bothered me that much, and I am single.

Comment

I don't like the rationale given for why "why are you single right now" is bad. It implies that no one would ever want to be single, and that if you're single it's clearly something that you're trying to fix.

For the same reason that I don't like that rationale, I agree that saying that someone will come along and ruin your plans is stupid. People are capable of choosing to be single. If you decide that your career is more important than a relationship, are you really going to fall head-over-heels for someone who's not compatible with that career?

Comment

I think the article was meant more for single people who are looking for relationships, not for single people who are not looking and happy being single.
          Military Spouse Support.

Comment

I have one I'd like to add:

"Well, there's 2 kinds of girls, the ones you date, and the ones you marry..."

the implication being that I'm the kind of girl you marry, to which I must reply "How the H am I supposed to get married, if I don't date?"

I think its supposed to be a compliment that I'd make a good wife.. but still...
            I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

On the "when you're not looking" line, I think it's mostly about how when you're actively looking, you can end up putting out a desperation vibe. I used to have a friend who would manage to get girls to bail in about 10 minutes without doing anything wrong except for just trying too hard.

But, yeah, I can see how those would all be grating on someone trying to find someone else to be together with.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm single and I'm gay, and GOD willing I'll remain BOTH for the rest of my life!
                I never want to go through living with another human being again.

I like my sex the same way I like my pizza. Delivered to my door hot and gone before I go to sleep.
                "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

"Your turn next [at weddings]." Has gotten people the death glare from me. Also the you are too picky.
                  Yes I have stupidly high standards
                  Guy must like animals and would like to own one and gets along with my dog.
                  Have job
                  Be responsible, I have no plans on being your mother mister.
                  Stay away from drugs
                  Not think I'm a freak for being the way I am. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong.
                  Yes high standards....*grumbles*
                  I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
                    "Your turn next [at weddings]." Has gotten people the death glare from me. Also the you are too picky.
                    Yes I have stupidly high standards
                    Guy must like animals and would like to own one and gets along with my dog.
                    Have job
                    Be responsible, I have no plans on being your mother mister.
                    Stay away from drugs
                    Not think I'm a freak for being the way I am. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong.
                    Yes high standards....*grumbles*
                    Huzzah! I have higher standards then you!

Oh... wait. That's not a good thing ><.
                    Military Spouse Support.

Comment

Hehehe Plaidman *hug* I so glad I wasn't drinking when I read that. I do have higher standards then that, I just didn't elaborate on the responsibility part it would be a novel. I dated a wanna be mama's boy...that didn't go well...there are reasons I don't like being set up anymore.
                      I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
                        Huzzah! I have higher standards then you!

Oh... wait. That's not a good thing ><.
                        Standards aren't a BAD thing, really!!

Crazy standards, maybe, but standards are always good, because it means you won't settle just for the sake of settling. My mom did that for the longest time before finally divorcing bio-dad. She's much happier with stepdad, because she didn't settle due to having us kids.

But as to the article. Yeah, some of those...twitch inducing...I need a whapping stick...and the author of that article in close proximity...

Comment

"the implication being that I'm the kind of girl you marry, to which I must reply "How the H am I supposed to get married, if I don't date?""---Join the Moonies?
                          Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

I'd still take any advice for dating from all comers though
                            Military Spouse Support.

Comment

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
                              "Your turn next [at weddings]." Has gotten people the death glare from me.
                              Turn it around and say it to that person at the next funeral...
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X