Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 things you shouldn't say to single people.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Plaidman View Post
    I'd still take any advice for dating from all comers though
    The only advice I ever give is this:

Be yourself. Maybe be a bit more restrained, but otherwise, don't act like anything you're not unless you want to keep that act up for the rest of your life.

I never actually dated, myself. I just hung out with people who shared the same interests. In my case, my ex-husband and my current beau were both gamers and geeks.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

"Well, there's 2 kinds of girls, the ones you date, and the ones you marry..."
      i always heard that one as "the ones you **** and the ones you marry"
      implying that there's some guys out there who wanna get laid all the time but want a virgin for a bride.

though i think that's less true these days

had a supervisor tell one of the girls at work once "why would he buy the cow if he gets the milk for free?" (i think she cried actually)
      and one of my other supervisors said the only reason he married his wife was because she didn't give in when he tried to get into her pants.

but i had one woman (the choir director from my church) whose advice that was... actually kinda sweet. at the time i had a giant crush on someone we both knew had no interest. her advice was to not pray that i got my friend, but to pray for whomever god had in mind for me, etc.

but i will say that... the one about "when you're not looking" is kinda accurate.
      the times when i felt desperate, it seemed to never happen
      but when i got into moods where i didn't care about looking... is when guys seemed to show interest.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        but i will say that... the one about "when you're not looking" is kinda accurate.
        but when i got into moods where i didn't care about looking... is when guys seemed to show interest.
        Yeah, I mean, the reason I might say that is because that's how it happened with me.
        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          It's not about looking or not, but about self-confidence.

Usually, when you're actively looking for a partner (and particularly if you're feeling desperate), you tend to view yourself very critically; seeing yourself as less than you are because "there must be something wrong if you can't find someone," and the like.

However, when you're not looking at all, or when you've found someone to be with, at least for a while, you exhibit much greater self-confidence.

And many people are more attracted to high confidence levels.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

"why would he buy the cow if he gets the milk for free?"
            You know, if you call your girlfriend a *cow,* you are pretty well guaranteed not to get any "milk" at all for a long, long time.
            Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

It's not about looking or not, but about self-confidence.
              you know that's a good point.

reminds me of a guy i had a crush on that didn't work out. (plus he let a roommate poison him against his other female friends & me, not realizing she had her own relationship agenda).

but later, when i was over him, when i didn't mind being friends but didn't care as much... apparently he started having a crush.... but i'd moved on.

heh. relationships are funny like that.

Comment

[QUOTE=PepperElf;720709]
                had a supervisor tell one of the girls at work once "why would he buy the cow if he gets the milk for free?" (i think she cried actually)
                and one of my other supervisors said the only reason he married his wife was because she didn't give in when he tried to get into her pants.
                QUOTE]

I got that sort of comment from my mom all the time some years ago, but I think it was mostly because I hadn't known my daughter's father that well/wasn't married to him when we'd had sex.

Comment

Quoth pepperelf
                  "why would he buy the cow if he gets the milk for free?"
                  I used to always reply with this:

"Why buy the bull when you can sit on the horns for free?"

All I ever got were Deer-In-The-Headlights looks.

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
                    You know, if you call your girlfriend a *cow,* you are pretty well guaranteed not to get any "milk" at all for a long, long time.
                    yup. That'll put her in a bad Moooooood!
                    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

udderly pissed off...

Comment

... Guess you made one mad cow... Hope she doesn't get sick...
                        Military Spouse Support.
                        http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                        Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Hey...you guys are being cheesy and no one told me * pouts and sighs*... but alas I cannot think of anything amoosing.
                          I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
                            Hey...you guys are being cheesy and no one told me * pouts and sighs*... but alas I cannot think of anything amoosing.
                            Hey, Don't have a cow over it!
                            Military Spouse Support.
                            http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                            Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
                              Hey, Don't have a cow over it!
                              Yeah. it's just our whey.

"All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post
                                I have one I'd like to add:

"Well, there's 2 kinds of girls, the ones you date, and the ones you marry..."

the implication being that I'm the kind of girl you marry, to which I must reply "How the H am I supposed to get married, if I don't date?"

I think its supposed to be a compliment that I'd make a good wife.. but still...
                                I think it mean there are girls you would only date and then there are girls that you would marry. Like the difference between the girls that you bring home at night for fun and the girls you would bring home to meet the parents. The second can also be the first type but the first type is talking about the kind of girl that you wouldn't get serious with.
                                "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Working...
                                X