Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jester, this sounds pretty cool. I think I have to go out and buy some rum, and have a glass in your honor. Maybe that vanilla one you mentioned once before.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Banana Hammock cracks me up. I'm glad your year is off to a good start.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Jester, this sounds pretty cool. I think I have to go out and buy some rum, and have a glass in your honor. Maybe that vanilla one you mentioned once before.
        Brinley Gold Vanilla, from St. Kitts. Liquid candy. Greatest flavored rum ever. Accept no imitations. All other vanilla rums are clear...this one is the color of vanilla (dark brown) because it is MADE with real vanilla beans.

Will answer the Spanish/French thing later....my hangover is the size of Haiti right now.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          Will answer the Spanish/French thing later....my hangover is the size of Haiti right now.
          Recovered from your hangover yet? I'm still interested in knowing the differences (method and result) between French-style rum, and British/Jamaican/Cuban style (the latter may be more than one style, but those are the non-French rums I've heard of). Thanks.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Crap. Forgot about this. But I will get to it....soon. (No, really.)

Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester, any updates?

Comment

Nothing major, really. Finally got the literature from the liquor rep, which allowed me to sign in online to the mixology program, and order my package, which my bar paid the difference for, as I said they would. Now just waiting on said package to arrive in the mail so that I can begin the online course.

Current plan, since my buddy Popcorn is also in the program, is to get a hotel room in Miami for two nights, the night before the program and the night of the program. Day before, I will drive up to Miami, and either pick Popcorn up at the airport that night (he is flying in from Jazz Fest in New Orleans) or have him cab it to whatever bar I am at, at which point we will party, though somewhat responsibly, so that we can pay attention at the seminar the following day.

Next day, we shall do the seminar. We plan on smoking it, of course.

After the seminar, we plan on talking about the seminar with each other...over several drinks, as we will be back at the bars again, without any reason to be responsible.

Next day, hangovers in tow, we shall hop in the ever-reliable Jestermobile and return to the Keys.

Not a bad way to spend a Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, huh?

Still A Customer."

Comment

Sounds like a good time Jester!

Comment

Any idea when you'll be able to post about the differences between French-style rum and British/Jamaican/Cuban style?

Comment

Ah, crap. I did promise that, didn't I?

Try to hit me up tomorrow for that. Today, as you may have noticed, is a holiday, and to me one of my favorites. But I WILL get that info to you shortly. I promise, damn it!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Any updates on the differences between French and other rums?

Comment

Jester, you gotta get onto this. If Wolfie has been taking lessons from Lupo about how to bully, you're in serious trouble.
                          I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

Damn it! I knew I was forgetting something....especially since the last time you asked me that, I said I would get right on it that night.

Well, enough procrastinating, damn it.

Ready for a quick lesson? Well, here we go!

Now, dividing rum into meaningful groupings is complicated by the fact that there is no single standard for what constitutes rum. Instead, rum is defined by the varying rules and laws of the nations that produce the spirit. The differences in definitions include issues such as spirit proof, minimum aging, and even naming standards. Basically, just as rum has the most variety of tastes and styles of all the spirits, it also has the most variety of production methods and standards. Hell, it could be argued that the former is due to the latter.

An example of the above is Colombia, where rum is required to possess a minimum alcohol content of 50 ABV (alcohol by volume), while Chilean and Venezuelan rums are only required to be a minimum of 40 ABV. Mexico requires rum to be aged no less than 8 months, the Dominican Republic requires a year, and Venezuela mandates a minimum of 2 years. Naming standards also vary, with Argentina definite rums as White, Gold, Light, and Extra Light. Barbados uses the terms White, Overproof, and Matured, while the good ole U.S. of A. defines the variations as Rum, Rum Liqueur, and Flavored Rum.

Despite the differences in standards and labels, the style of rum production can generally be grouped according to the language that is traditionally spoken in the country of origin, which generally will be Spanish, English, or French.

Spanish-speaking countries traditionally produce light rums with a fairly clean taste. Rums from Cuba and Puerto Rico are typical of this style.

English-speaking nations are known for darker rums with a fuller taste that retain a greater amount of the underlying molasses flavor. Rums from Jamaica and the Demerara region of South American are typical of this style.

French-speaking countries are best known for their agricultural rums (Rhum Agricole). These rums, being produced exclusively from sugar cane juice, retain a greater amount of the original flavor of the sugar cane. Rums from Martinique, Guadeloupe, and Haiti are great examples. Personally, I think the French style rums are generally a bit harsher than the other styles, or as might be more diplomatically put, "more robust." I am not generally a huge fan of the French style, but of course, your individual rum mileage may vary.

As a side note, many countries produce spirits similar to rum. Cachaca, for example, is a spirit similar to rum that is produced in Brazil, and is the base spirit for that country's national drink, the caipirinha. The Indonesian spirit Batavia Arrack, or Arrack, is a spirit similar to rum that includes rice in its production. Aguardiete is produced in Central American and northern South America, and is distilled from molasses infused with anise, with additional sugar cane juice added after distillation. Other than cachaca, though, I have never personally experienced any of these rum-like liquors.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth houdini View Post
                              Jester, you gotta get onto this. If Wolfie has been taking lessons from Lupo about how to bully, you're in serious trouble.
                              I can second that, at least Jester managed to avoid it, LMAO.
                              By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                                . Damn it, Pyrat.....why do you torture me so?
                                Because everybody needs a hobby?
                                Quoth Jester View Post
                                In other news, found out that one of the other ten Key West bartenders attending the aforementioned mixology class is my buddy Popcorn, which is rather cool. We may just roadtrip up to Miami together, which works for him, since he doesn't have a car.
                                Popcorn is the Tony Bahama Rum mixologist at that other bar?
                                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                                X