This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Advice Please and ThankYa

Long story short, my family recently inherited a few things including 3 new guns: a long barrel revolver, a lever action Winchester rifle, and a 12 gague pump action Mossberg. All the guns need to be cleaned up a bit but overall seem to be in good shape. The shotgun is now mine. I've shot guns before (Civil War era muskets and one smaller shotgun) but I'm not sure if this shotgun will be too much for me or not.

The gun is a 12 gague pump action Mossberg Western Field 500A shotgun. It weighs about 9-10lbs.

I am 5'4", 140lbs, probably average build (meaning not super muscular, not super out of shape, just slightly toned), 20-ish years old.
    Answers: $1
    Correct Answers: $2
    Answers that require thought: $5
    Dumb looks are still free.

Well I am not the greatest about guns, but I believe it will depend on if there is a recoil dampener (? not sure that is what it is called) or not.

If so, you might be ok..otherwise..12 gage can have some kick to it...
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

You may want to get something with shoulder padding between you and the gun when you first shoot it since you don't know how much recoil it has.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
        Well I am not the greatest about guns, but I believe it will depend on if there is a recoil dampener (? not sure that is what it is called) or not.

If so, you might be ok..otherwise..12 gage can have some kick to it...
        The gun has a recoil pad on the end. The shotgun looks exactly like this:

Comment

I'd start with what Ironclad suggested..or here is how my dad got us use to the kick. We found a tree with a 'fork' in it, and put the butt against a tree..so find something similar when you first fire it. See how much kick it has.
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

That looks a lot like my 20 G.. That thing has quite a bit of kick. I can just imagine the kick from a 12G..
            "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

It's going to have one hell of a kick. It looks a lot like the one I used to use skeet shooting. If you can, buy or borrow a shooting jacket with a shoulder pad. That should help.
              The recoil pad on the stock will help too.
              Since you've shot before, you probably know the basics. But you're definitely going to want to make sure the stock is firmly seated against your shoulder (Trust me, I made that mistake exactly once.)

Honestly, though, my friend's old muzzle loader had a much bigger recoil. You should be fine as long as you're careful.
              "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I think Recovering Kinkoid might know more.
                In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

There are all sorts of loads available for shotguns; you should be able to fire birdshot without too much trouble, and there are light target loads also available. You should try buckshot at least once though, for the experience. ;-)

Comment

First off, watch this.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnT723O5fZg
                    If she can handle a 10G, you can handle a 12G.

My Grandfather taught me how to shoot when I was seven, 20G, 12G & .22 rifle. I weighed 125lbs. Hold it tight to your shoulder. Keep a wide stance. You won't have a problem.

By the way, that same 12G put my Aunt on her ass. My Mom had no problems with it.

Also,have it inspected by a gun smith. I got my Grandfather's 12G and the .22. My brother got the 20G. The 12G & .22 is still in good shape, but the 20G has a cracked hammer. Not sure how much life is left in them, and they are too old to get parts.
                    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                    Save the Ales!
                    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

It certainly wont be impossible for you to shoot. Like other posters have said, if you understand firearm fundamentals (your grip, your stance, etc) its just a matter of protection for your shoulder. 12 gauges have a hell of kick from what little experience I have with them (solid slug shells) My experience is more in rifles and pistols, I could talk about those all day

And you've fired old school muzzle loaders???? so cool.

Comment

Quoth Rainman View Post
                        It certainly wont be impossible for you to shoot. Like other posters have said, if you understand firearm fundamentals (your grip, your stance, etc) its just a matter of protection for your shoulder. 12 gauges have a hell of kick from what little experience I have with them (solid slug shells) My experience is more in rifles and pistols, I could talk about those all day

And you've fired old school muzzle loaders???? so cool.
                        The muzzle loaders were sooo fun. Big gun, fun to load, nice kick (now over-powering but enough so you can feel the power), and pretty accurate. The only thing I didn't like is you HAVE to wear goggles or else you get black powder sprayed in your eyes. It comes off skin easy enough

There was a 12 gauge shotgun available to shoot, but the gun owner literally took if from my hands and said that gun was "too big for you little girl" and directed me to the "girl gun" which was a 20 gauge shotgun. I took the kick easy and made the smallest target vanish. I still wanted to shoot the 12 gauge

Comment

The recoil from a 12 ga is only about 10% more than a 20 ga. Find some one to help you get the gun fitted to you properly. The length of the stock (length of pull) is important so you can have the proper hold. The only thing I would add, is build up your left arm strength so you can hold the gun up while leaning into the shot. 75% or more of your weight should be on your front foot. You don't mention the caliber of the pistol, but large pistols are easier to shoot accurately than small ones. Get the revolver checked by someone who knows guns before you shoot it above all HAVE FUN.

You need to have the lever action checked by a gun smith but lever guns are almost indestructible.
                          Last edited by Dave1982; 05-08-2012, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Quoth Taurus52
                            The recoil from a 12 ga is only about 10% more than a 20 ga. Find some one to help you get the gun fitted to you properly. The length of the stock (length of pull) is important so you can have the proper hold. The only thing I would add, is build up your left arm strength so you can hold the gun up while leaning into the shot. 75% or more of your weight should be on your front foot. You don't mention the caliber of the pistol, but large pistols are easier to shoot accurately than small ones. Get the revolver checked by someone who knows guns before you shoot it above all HAVE FUN.
                            I've been holding it a bit today (I'm excited to shoot it lol) and it seems to be a good fit. I didn't get a chance to get a good look at the revolver as the shotgun was in my hands the second it entered the house, and te revolver was in a holster. From the size of the holster and the look of the gun butt, I'm guessing it's a .357 Mag.

Quoth Taurus52 View Post
                            You need to have the lever action checked by a gun smith but lever guns are almost indestructible.
                            The lever is a bit sticky but besides that, it seems to be in good shape. I'm looking forward to shootong the rifle too

Comment

My (in 6 days) Wife, is 5' and about 110lbs, wants a 12 gauge semi auto with a 3 inch chamber. She learned to shoot with one her grandfather had. Yeah, it's funny to watch her shoot the one she has, but it's also nearly as tall as she is. they make pads for recoil if you find it's more than you like, some fit in your shirt, some on the weapon. If it feels awkward or uncomfortable, don't fire a large load from it. Also have fun.
                              To ensure it does not happen again, we have changed our slogan to "F%#k you, I'm eating!" ----- Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Working...
                              X