Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to remember the name of a book.

A few years ago I borrowed a book from my college library to read over the Holiday break. I like reading but I have a problem of being a very slow reader. Regretfully I had to return the book before I could finish it. Now, I'm tearing my hair out trying to remember what the book was called and the author's name.

It's about an elderly man living in a small town with his wife. In his life he used to be a journalist (I think he worked for a paper) and he's now retired and "killing time until time kills him" (from the description on the back of the book). He had a late son who passed away when he was 30ish and the protagonist described his son as a surfer/bum type.

He's going through his old journals and reads something that makes him want to revisit a place from his past. So he and his wife pack up and set sail. During the trip they meet another couple and the husband of said couple falls off the ship during a storm and drowns.

I think he was visiting his mother's home land. He said something about his mother being and orphan and a run away that got to America from France (I think). That's about as far as I got.

I've tried googling it but the problem is I don't know what to google. I don't recall the title or author and I tried googling the quote from the back of the book but I got nothing. I know this is a bit of a stretch but I've exhausted every thing I could think of short of going to a local book store and browsing the fiction isles (which I just may end up doing). Anyway, if anyone has any idea what this book is called or the author please let me know.

You said you borrowed it from a library. Ask them if they have a record of the books you checked out (it's possible).

SC
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Is this it?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Spectator-...7004254&sr=8-1

Comment

Yes! YES! A thousand times yes! That's it!

Holy crap I was so close on the title too! I kept thinking it was "The Watching Bird" but every time I googled that I got a bunch of books about bird watching. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
        X