This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasy Casting: The Princess Bride remake

So I was looking at entertainment headlines a while ago and saw how many 80s movies they're remaking in Hollywood. Curious I turned to my movie collection and my eyes alighted on my copy of "The Princess Bride" and I thought, "Who would I cast in a remake?" I made this inquiry to some friends and this is what we arrived at:

Westly - ?
    Buttercup - ?
    Inigo - Antonio Banderas
    Fezzik - Michel Clarke Duncan
    Prince Humperdinck - Robert Downy JR
    Count Rugen - Johnny Depp (?)
    Vizzini - Jason Alexander
    The Albino - Jack Black
    Miracle Max - Steve Carrell
    Valerie - Tina Fey

As you can see the two main characters are big blanks. That's because my friend are I can't afford cable or satellite and in my case watch Asian or European movies.....

So... who do you think would make a good Westly and Buttercup? Agree with our other choices? Disagree? Who would you think be good as sonso?
    "There is a sadist inside me. She likes cake." - Krys Wolf, my friend

In a coffee shop in Whitehouse, Texas: "Unsupervised children will be given two shots of espresso and a free puppy."

Personally I think it would be a travesty beyond belief to remake this classic, and any attempt to do so would almost certainly be doomed to failure.

That being said, I'll play the game. Hey, why not?

For Wesley, I can actually see Mark Wahlberg (his turn in "Ted" showed his amazing comic timing, far more than I expected), Leonardo DiCaprio (watch "Catch Me If You Can" if you doubt me here), or perhaps even Orlando Bloom. His role as Will Turner seems the closest thing I've seen to Wesley in recent years.

For Buttercup, I just honed right in on Cameron Diaz, though I could easily see Kirsten Dunst or Anna Paquin as well, as I think all three of them have the looks, the acting chops, and the comic timing. Or perhaps even Keira Knightley or Natalie Portman.

I have to say, your casting choices for the others were, for the most part, surprisingly spot on. Well, other than Antonio Banderas, which I have to say HELL NO to. Just doesn't fit for me, even though I think his comic timing IS pretty good. No, for Inigo I would ABSOLUTELY have to cast the guy who played the "Dance Instructor" (sword instructor) for Arya in Game of Thrones. Dude would be AWESOME in that role!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

I have no clue who would play what role, the only one I will broach is

Fezzik - You need a giant. Somebody large. Paul Wight aka "The Big Show" I liked him in Knucklehead.
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        Personally I think it would be a travesty beyond belief to remake this classic, and any attempt to do so would almost certainly be doomed to failure.

That being said, I'll play the game. Hey, why not?

For Wesley, I can actually see Mark Wahlberg (his turn in "Ted" showed his amazing comic timing, far more than I expected), Leonardo DiCaprio (watch "Catch Me If You Can" if you doubt me here), or perhaps even Orlando Bloom. His role as Will Turner seems the closest thing I've seen to Wesley in recent years.

For Buttercup, I just honed right in on Cameron Diaz, though I could easily see Kirsten Dunst or Anna Paquin as well, as I think all three of them have the looks, the acting chops, and the comic timing. Or perhaps even Keira Knightley or Natalie Portman.

I have to say, your casting choices for the others were, for the most part, surprisingly spot on. Well, other than Antonio Banderas, which I have to say HELL NO to. Just doesn't fit for me, even though I think his comic timing IS pretty good. No, for Inigo I would ABSOLUTELY have to cast the guy who played the "Dance Instructor" (sword instructor) for Arya in Game of Thrones. Dude would be AWESOME in that role!
        Oh I agree totally. Nothing new could match the awesomeness it is now. This was just something fun I thought up. My next idea is "The Great Race" but no one I know has seen it!

I'll have to share those with my friend. She was throwing out Chris Hemsworth or Tom Hiddleston. Mainly because we had just seen The Avengers and they were fresh in mind. Same with Scarlett Johansson for Buttercup. But then I saw the new Conan and was considering the leading lady from that... ::looks it up:: Rachel Nichols. I need to watch more mainstream movies.....

I also need to get ahold of a copy of GoT now to check that sword guy out.....

In a coffee shop in Whitehouse, Texas: "Unsupervised children will be given two shots of espresso and a free puppy."

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post

Fezzik - You need a giant. Somebody large. Paul Wight aka "The Big Show" I liked him in Knucklehead.
          He was my personal number two, but since most agreed on MCD as their number one, he made the final list.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            No, for Inigo I would ABSOLUTELY have to cast the guy who played the "Dance Instructor" (sword instructor) for Arya in Game of Thrones. Dude would be AWESOME in that role!
            That would be Miltos Yerolemou, who has been in a handful of things, and I think would make an outstanding Inigo.

Although, as a Patinkin fan, it'd be a hard role to fill in my eyes.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth AlmightyALT View Post
              I also need to get ahold of a copy of GoT now to check that sword guy out.....
              He was only in three episodes near the end of Season 1. The character's name was Syrio Forel, and he was played brilliantly by Miltos Yerolemou.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                He was only in three episodes near the end of Season 1. The character's name was Syrio Forel, and he was played brilliantly by Miltos Yerolemou.
                Thanks!

extra words here to let me post it provided by my keyboard

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  I would ABSOLUTELY have to cast the guy who played the "Dance Instructor" (sword instructor) for Arya in Game of Thrones. Dude would be AWESOME in that role!
                  Just so.

Quoth Mytical View Post

I've often said the same thing. Heck, when he was wrestling in WCW, they called him "The Giant" and for a time billed him as the son of Andre the Giant.

Buttercup, I think, should be played by a female actress who isn't mainstream.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

*nods* While others might be a decent size, there are few who can stand nose to nose with Andre the Giant. 'The Big show' is one of those people.
                    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                      Buttercup, I think, should be played by a female actress who isn't mainstream.
                      Fair enough. Suggestions?

Quoth Mytical View Post
                      *nods* While others might be a decent size, there are few who can stand nose to nose with Andre the Giant. 'The Big show' is one of those people.
                      While I admit I am not familiar with The Big Show, I have to defend the OP's choice or Michael Clarke Duncan for the role. He's very big (not Andre big, but no one is), his voice is perfect, and he has the acting chops, presence, timing, and sensitivity to not only pull this role off, but be one of the few in the New Cast to outdo one of the originals. My opinion, anyway.

Still A Customer."

Comment

No doubt Duncan would make a good choice. Andre was a large guy, no doubt, and even Paul Wight (who stands about 7' tall) is a bit shorter. Here is a link to a picture of Paul on the set of Knucklehead. http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2010...lehead_008.jpg. Even that really doesn't do the guy justice in size though. He does also have some acting chops (most wrestlers do, though not all translate to the big screen..as wrestling is just a big soap opera lol). Anyhow, I agree that Duncan would definitely be my second choice for the role..and as mentioned..currently out voted so it is all good.

I do want to suggest to see Knucklehead though, to see why I would put Wight before Duncan. Heck at one time in Wrestling, they promoted Wight as Andre's Son.
                        Last edited by Mytical; 07-26-2012, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Jared Paldecki (Sam from Supernatural) as Wesley, not sure about Buttercup. I thought maybe Drew Barrymore, but no.

Comment

Jared would make a good Wesley I think. I have been wracking my brain for who would make a good Montoya, but I reject as each for various reasons. Maybe Cary Elwes? (Robin Hood from Men in tights).

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                              Jared would make a good Wesley I think. I have been wracking my brain for who would make a good Montoya, but I reject as each for various reasons. Maybe Cary Elwes? (Robin Hood from Men in tights).
                              ... You do realize that Cary Elwes was THE Wesley, right?...

Comment

Working...
                              X