Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me or is this a bit ... "off" ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me and Legira are identical twins but our mum and dad refused to have us wear identical outfits. My parents said they are seperate people with their own personalities. If they were given matching outfits we would normally wear them on different days. We did very rarely wear the same thing but it was unusual. It think some of their reluctance was that their was a pair of twins locally who had been bought up pretty much as one person and were somewhat mentally troubled by that.
    Last edited by Bardmaiden; 08-01-2012, 05:45 PM.
    Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

thing is you only had a snippet of their lives. you don't know how he reacts when they don't match, or if maybe she was making a joke.

i know when i was that age, sis and i really liked matching and we're one day off from being exactly 2.5 years apart. And it kinda worked cos as we got older i got to have her cast-offs that perfectly matched some of my older clothes. .

I remember a couple of tshirts and one dress in particular.

Comment

This reminds me once again of why my parents were so awesome.

No, I am not a twin. But my little sister and I looked so much alike growing up (pre-puberty) that we were OFTEN mistaken for twins. Hell, even to this day we occasionally get the twin question, because while I clearly resemble my mother, my father, and my older sister A LOT, the resemblance between Lil Sis and me borders on he scary. (Although to be fair, as I have gotten older, the creepy resemblance is more with me and my father, who I can often pass off pictures of as those of myself.)

But growing up, we did NOT have the same clothes at all, not even similar clothes, despite the fact that Lil Sis was (and still is) quite the tomboy. Other than the fact that I was clearly clearly larger than her (and more male), it is not hard to see why people thought of us as twins. Neither of us ever LIKED it, mind you, but we now both accept it as reality.

And you don't have to believe me, either. Just check out the attached picture from our childhood. Yeah, the Fonz was cool, man!
        Attached Files

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Awww, so cute!
          Rugz and his cousin were frequently mistaken for twins as well, and most of the boys on his dad's side look the same. To the point where it's a family joke to show newcomers an old photo and say "Don't Rugz look great in his uniform? Gee, he's aged rather well." (It's a photo of his grandpa in a WWII British Navy uniform)
          Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Is it weird that people would mistake me and my best friend (not related at all) as sisters? We'd get it everywhere.
            My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
            It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

@AmbrosiaWriter: Nope, not at all. One of my dearest friends and I were constantly mistaken for each other all of the way through high school. We think the same, act the same, have similar speech patterns and have perfected our evil laugh.
              Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Quoth Mishi View Post
                Rugz and his cousin were frequently mistaken for twins as well...
                I look enough like my cousin The Beard on my mom's side that I could have probably used his ID to get served, since he's three years older than me. I never asked him for it, though, and I never would have attempted to use it, as I was paranoid that an alert bouncer would have noticed that the ID noted the height as 6'2". I'm 5'8". Even on roller blades, I come up to barely 6'0". Yeah, most bouncers don't notice that shit, but at 18, I didn't realize that!

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                Is it weird that people would mistake me and my best friend (not related at all) as sisters?
                Not really. As often good friends (or long-time couples) will start to resemble each other. My best friend and I look exactly NOTHING alike. But we often get asked "are you brother and sister," probably because we ACT so much like brother and sister. (Of course, we often get asked if we are a couple, too, so draw your own conclusion.)

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  ... so much like brother and sister. (Of course, we often get asked if we are a couple, too, so draw your own conclusion.)
                  If you're from extremely NW Arizona...
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Nope. Tempe. Definitely nowhere near NW Arizona, thank you very much.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      (Although to be fair, as I have gotten older, the creepy resemblance is more with me and my father, who I can often pass off pictures of as those of myself.)
                      Sounds like the universe is playing a nasty joke on you - with that resemblance happening AFTER you turned 21, and can use your OWN ID to buy a beer.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Well, I definitely wouldn't have tried to use my father's....since, ya know, he was born in 1932 and all.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Growing up my sisters and I wore matching clothes, but mostly because my aunt dressed her three girls who were slightly older than my sisters and I in matching clothes and then passed them down to us.

There's a Christmas Morning photo of the 6 of us all in matching night gowns. We have a hard time deciding who is who other than the oldest and the youngest.

But, yeah, a little wierd that it bother's the father when they aren't matching.

P.S. My sisters and I do not dress alike anymore. Though I did end up buying the same car as my sister and didn't even realize it until I showed up at her house and saw "my" car in her driveway.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            If she had said, "their dad really loves seeing them in matching outfits," it wouldn't sound weird.

Saying "he really doesn't like it when they don't match" DOES.

Not because he's the dad. Because it BOTHERS HIM when their outfits don't match.
                            That's it exactly.

Lots of parents think dressing their kids alike is cute. I know my sister & I had matching pajamas for Christmas a few times, and once my mom had the brilliant idea of matching dresses - I was 9, I thought it was great, my sister was 14, she wore the dress for photos and it was never seen again
                            Having only one child, I had to settle for matching outfits for my daughter and her cabbage patch kid

And granted, all we have to go on is one comment from the Mom - could be she just chose the wrong words, could even be he thinks it's cute and it's a family joke about him wanting a "matched set" or something, could mean a lot of things other than how it sounds.

But if the one sentence does sum up how he is about it, yeah, I find it odd and definitely creepy as well. First, sounds like a control freak, if he's determining how they dress all the time. And second, the way she said "he doesn't like it when they don't match" not "when they don't wear matching clothes". Sounds like he doesn't even really see them as people, let alone two different people.

Just something about that just makes my skin crawl a tiny bit, like something just isn't right there. At worst, that family's gonna be on the news one day, and not in a good way, at best, boy is dad in for a rough time as those girls grow up.

Madness takes it's toll....
                            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Working...
                            X