This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Culmination of a Journey

In January of 2009, I got to attend the very first NASA Tweetup. It was held at JPL in Pasadena; even though no-one really knew what they were doing, just getting to be there and meet the people behind the Mars (and other) missions was life-changing. I met some of my best friends there.

While I was there, I got to see the new Mars rover, Mars Science Lab (aka Curiosity), in the clean room of JPL's Spacecraft Assembly Facility. It was the first I'd heard of it, and I was fascinated.

2 years later, in June of 2011, I returned to JPL for another NASAtweetup. One of my best friends from the first Tweetup had returned for the event, and I got to see my JPL friends again, too. This time, Curiosity was almost complete; she'd be shipped to Kennedy Space Center in weeks.

From early 2011 until she was packed for shipping, I watched the rover get built, tested, and finally packed into the biggest crate I've ever seen.

In November of 2011, I blew the last of the money from my old job and traveled to Florida with friends I'd met at other NASA events, and saw Curiosity launch. I even stayed behind in the event tent with a handful of others to watch the video feed from Curiosity as she turned away from Earth and blasted out of orbit on her way toward Mars.

On Sunday night (Pacific Time), Curiosity begins her "7 minutes of terror" descent to Mars. I'll be in Pasadena with other NASA geeks to watch the feed.

3 1/2 years to get to this point. I'm terrified that something will go wrong, but there's no reason to think it will.

Go, Curiosity, go!
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

That's awesome.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Just watched a documentry about Curiosity and it is the most amazing craft. I'll be crossing my fingers that all goes well.
      Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

That is so cool! Is there anywhere that we can keep up with her progress, or can you keep us updated?

Comment

I'll have to remember to check the NASA website.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Ryooshi View Post
            That is so cool! Is there anywhere that we can keep up with her progress, or can you keep us updated?

Everything should be here: http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/ Check on Sunday to see about livestreams.

Also, follow @marsroverdriver on Twitter; he does exactly what his twitter handle says, and he'll be live-tweeting it!
            "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

Comment

Today is the day. 3.5 years of waiting, finally over.

If you want to watch the feed of the event, go to jpl.nasa.gov. MSL will land around 10:31pm Pacific time.

Comment

Gah - that's going to be early o'clock UK time. About 5.31am or so. Sorry, but I need my beauty sleep more than most people. I'll be looking for results when I get up, though.

Rapscallion

Comment

Logging on for a sec from the PlanetFest conference. I am sitting a few meters from the admin of JPL, the admin of NASA, and Bill Nye the Science Guy.

*tiny squeal of excitement*

Comment

I'm a huge space geek and have been all my life. I remember watching the live feed for other rover landings and will definitely be watching tonight
                    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
                      Logging on for a sec from the PlanetFest conference. I am sitting a few meters from the admin of JPL, the admin of NASA, and Bill Nye the Science Guy.

*tiny squeal of excitement*
                      TOTALLY jealous!!!! You need to get some pics to share

Comment

Currently on stage: Anne Druyan, Carl Sagan's wife, and Seth McFarlane, who is involved with the new Cosmos series.

Comment

Joi - I'm currently watching/chatting in Planetfest's USTREAM channel - thank goodness for it - I tried watching the chat in the regular NASA feed and the trolls are out in force!!! At least there's a higher level of IQ in the Planetfest chat room and social stream

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
                            Joi - I'm currently watching/chatting in Planetfest's USTREAM channel - thank goodness for it - I tried watching the chat in the regular NASA feed and the trolls are out in force!!! At least there's a higher level of IQ in the Planetfest chat room and social stream
                            HA!! Yeah, NASA gets a lot of trolls. Which variety are these? Moon landing deniers? "I protest the use of tax money for this" variety?

Comment

That and just your general idiots "Are there b00bies on Mars?" and "Is this live right now?" regarding the animation cartoons. "How are these guys filming this on Mars?" when they were showing vids of trial runs out in the desert, etc.... OY!!!

I remember during the last rover landing, watching it on Ustream and some of the programmers were actually answering our questions. Granted there were only about 50 of us in the chat room but it was an amazing experience.

Comment

Working...
                              X