Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coolest thing I've seen in a looong time...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolest thing I've seen in a looong time...

Just got back from Garden City (which is a beach) where we stayed a few days and on Saturday, I saw the coolest thing. I just so happned to be looking out over the ocean and this manta ray jumped out of the water, flew through the air, and landed with a huge splash. If I would have blinked, I would have missed it.

I have no idea how big it was. It was out past the breakers. I know a few things, but can't guess size.

1. I could see the "horn" protrusions on it's head. Even at that distance and even at a quick glance. I do not possess sharp eyesight. And yet, I could clearly see details.

2. It made such a huge splash it was easily heard over the roar of the waves.

It was a big ray. I just have no way to tell how big. I'm not good at guestimating size, and trying to guess size out on the open sea is not easy even if I were. I would say it was certainly no smaller than about ten feet, but it could have been much larger. Those things get around twenty feet wide, I think. I've seen rays in the water before, and last time I was on Tybee Island, I actually put a bunch of Atlantic rays back in the ocean after they'd been beached. But we're talking a foot, maybe a foot and a half or so in diameter. This thing I saw was easily the biggest ray I've ever seen, even if I've underestimated its size.

I suspect only a handful of people saw it, judging from the reaction of other people.

I stood there for a long time hoping it would jump again. It didn't. But I have never seen anything like that.

Wish I could have seen that!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Wow. I had no idea they could do that. They are scary-looking, but cool.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I don't think it's something that happens a lot, but it does happen. I've heard of a lady getting killed by one that flew out of the water and struck her while she was in a boat. Blunt force trauma to the skull.

It just jumped at the wrong place and time, it didn't attack her. They don't attack people.

I've seen them inside waves before, and I've seen them while snorkling or if they're washed up on the beach, but never have I seen one become airborne like that before. Especially the size it was.

Comment

Working...
        X