This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A conversation with my cat

A bit of background: Ever since I moved back in with my parents, my calico cat Nora has been losing weight. Her behavior has been the same, so I've chalked it up to anxiety and being the low cat on the totem pole. My black and white cat Julie has to get arthritis medication, so I give them both a quarter can of Fancy Feast at night because it's much easier to medicate her that way. She was also in the habit of finishing off anything Nora didn't eat. Recently, I've started feeding Nora on the windowsill (I have high privacy windows in my room) because it's difficult for Julie to get up there. This has made Nora much more comfortable, and she's eating more. Nora goes from the floor to the dresser to the windowsill.

Tonight I'm sitting on my bed, and Julie jumps up next to me. She starts to casually step on my nightstand; if she goes from there to the dresser, it's easier to get to the windowsill, but there's a bunch of stuff she'll knock down.

So I said "Where are you going?"

Julie: "...Meow."

Me: "No. You've had yours."

Julie: "Meow?"

Me: "No, no. Have a seat."

So she turned around and lay down on the bed.

She thinks she's alpha over me, but she's not.
    "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

I love that she knows what you're saying. Also, nice try, kitty.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Cats know exactly what you're saying to them. They just don't care .

Mine has suddenly decided to get very verbal when she wants to be fed. And she uses those sounds then, and only then. She sounds like a tribble. I swear it. And we all know what happened to them when they got overfed.

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

My husbands cat gets a snooty look and a prissy meow when he stops petting her to give me a hug. She's very good at letting you know what she wants.

Comment

Hahaha. My best friend had a cat that would "yell" at her when he could see the bottom of the food bowl. There'd still be food, but he could see the bottom! So she'd just go over to the bowl and cover up the bottom. He'd be happy with that. LOL
          Her other cat would lay in the water bowl when it was empty, just to let you know there was no water.

Comment

My cats 'talk' to me all the time. Squeaky is the most vocal, followed by Smudge, Molly, and Mickey.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
              cat that would "yell" at her when he could see the bottom of the food bowl. There'd still be food, but he could see the bottom! So she'd ... cover up the bottom.
              This, this, exactly this. Too funny. All we have to do is shake what's in there around a little and happiness ensues. "There. Ya' happy? You made me bend over, 'grats."

Comment

My cat, Chloe, is *incredibly* vocal sometimes. Especially with my dad. Whenever he gets home from work, she will run over from wherever she is in the house to greet him in the kitchen, meowing excitedly like "Yay! Daddy's home! Daddydaddydaddy, I *neeeeeeeed* to tell you about what happened today!"

Or, at least, that's how I translate it.

Also, she 'meep's. She's fallen into this habit of, even if her food bowl is completely full, standing by her treat bowl and looking at it in a most forlorn fashion. Whenever any of us walks past her, she'll look up and meep at us.
                "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

My avatar's grandma, Charity, is not vocal, but she doesn't need to be. Whenever I go to their house to visit, she knows I'm a sucker for nose scritches (she's Himalayan, and with that face structure, her nose gets itchy, an she knows I'll scratch her). If I stop before she thinks I should, I get the nastiest case of stink-eye ever. Her son (Casey's dad), and my Himilayan Casey all inherited the stink-eye from Charity.
                  That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

I used to tell my best kitty-bud, Sylvester, "You can come and sleep on the bed with me tonight, OK? You come and sleep on the bed." And he did. Every time. If I didn't say that, he'd usually sleep somewhere else.

I miss that boy so bad.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Julie, for all her cattitude, will often come when I call her, though it has to be the right inflection. She also tends to follow me around the house, if she's awake. She also has a little throw rug in my room that she likes me to pet her on. She'll actually lead me back to my room to be petted and get elevator butt scritches.
                      "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

I've noticed our cat Spartacus uses a different voice, depending wether he is talking to me or hubby.
                        If he talks to me his voice is low and he draws out his meows.
                        When he talks to hubby, his voice is higher and the meows are short and clipped.
                        When he talks to Zora, his kitty girlfriend, it's half meow half purr, kinda "mrreowrr"

Comment

Maggie lets me know exactly what she wants, in many ways.
                          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                            I love that she knows what you're saying. Also, nice try, kitty.
                            pets can be smart like that.

Sometimes all it takes is saying my dog's name to get her to stop doing whatever she's suppose to be doing. Like digging. Or eating a bone on the carpet vs on the blanket we set up for her. etc

Comment

Working...
                            X