This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Make Comments about My Package

Relax. I'm talking about actual boxes. After I fell behind due to Jack's sudden departure, I have been scrambling to catch up with sending hard drives to branches. I've had to drop packages off to the UPS Store since I kept missing the UPS pickup and couldn't afford to wait the next day.

Today, when I dropped my boxes off, the clerk said, "Oh! You only have four this time." Most of the drop offs were 16 small packages. I've even had to ship 6 servers once at the UPS Store. Those boxes are almost half my height. Yes, I'm still a large man.

She should consider herself lucky. On my way to my (used to be Jack's) first branch in Georgia, I stopped by the Staples in Augusta to drop off 32 packages. I did that to cut down the shipping time to Florida.
    This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Just curious, but what is a typical daily volume of packages you need to send to branches, and what sort of delivery timeframe do you normally have? UPS and Fedex (most likely choice if dropping off at Staples) are fairly expensive - if you've got a large volume and you don't need "next day air" service level, it might be worth going with an LTL trucking company for shipment.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I try to get 36 packages of hard drives to the branches two weeks ahead of time. However, our current project of OS upgrades will end at the end of this month. Our next project starts in the second week in March. That is full unit server replacements. Our project manager is scheduling special pick up so I don't have to haul those monster packages to the UPS box or the UPS store.

Comment

Sounds like you'll be doing a lot of VERY large (i.e. expensive to ship) packages in the near future. You might want to suggest to your project manager to get a quote (both price and elapsed time from pickup to delivery) from an LTL company. If it's significantly cheaper than UPS while still meeting the time requirements, you might score a few "brownie points".

A couple LTL companies I've heard of are "same name as a manufacturer of model rocket engines", and "colour of a lemon". Can't recommend one way or the other on their service - my only contact with either is that when I was with my previous carrier, I occasionally did the linehaul between a terminal of a Canada-only LTL company and a terminal of the first one I mentioned.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

The problems with that are that if I'm sending out 32 servers, they're going to 32 destinations. The technicians out in the field will be sending their old servers either back to our office or the recyclers. The bank already has an LTL shipper to take our computer junk away as well as shipping a large number of servers to another destination. No, that LTL is not UPS, it's an LLC that operates out of High Point.

Comment

The only time I would be tempted to make comments about your package was if you were at a strip club. As one of the strippers.

The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
              The problems with that are that if I'm sending out 32 servers, they're going to 32 destinations. The technicians out in the field will be sending their old servers either back to our office or the recyclers. The bank already has an LTL shipper to take our computer junk away as well as shipping a large number of servers to another destination. No, that LTL is not UPS, it's an LLC that operates out of High Point.
              I can think of two near High Point: OD (which IIRC is closer to Thomasville) and there's also SE Freight (near the Farmer's Market.) Or are those two considered LTL's?
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                The only time I would be tempted to make comments about your package was if you were at a strip club. As one of the strippers.

I am going from shipping hard drives to shipping servers. You could say that my package is getting bigger.

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
                  I am going from shipping hard drives to shipping servers. You could say that my package is getting bigger.
                  I actually asked my partner about this prior to losing my job...he plans on upgrading his home server. My response is "What is it with men and trying to make it bigger?!"
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                    My response is "What is it with men and trying to make it bigger?!"
                    When the package gets bigger, the magic happens.

Comment

Working...
                    X