This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "What new policy?"

This was told to me by a friend who still works at the place where I used to.

Since I left, a manager has returned who used to work there before. We'll call her P. Very abrupt, abrasive, cold. Also apparently coated in Teflon, as there have been several customer complaints about her manner but they seem to have simply slid off her back.

Anyway, last week P pinned a notice up in the break room next to the big holiday planner chart. This notice stated that Head Office were introducing new rules regarding booking leave. Time off during school holidays would now be limited, no bank holidays could be taken off, and New Years Eve, instead of being an early finish, would now be worked from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.

This of course was most unwelcome news, and there was great resentment among the peons... One of whom, instead of just grumbling, phoned Head Office to complain about the new policy regarding holidays.

'What new policy?' asked the Head Office bod.

It was nothing to do with them. It was all something that P had cooked up herself, and what's more, got the store manager to sign his name to as well.

The upshot of it all was that Head Office were most unamused and sent someone down to have a meeting with the staff, and P had to sit there with a face like a plateful of mortal sins while the HO bod proved she'd been lying.
    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Sweet! Karmic bitchslaps don't happen that often, but when they do, they're SO satisfying.

Then again, I'm a horrible person.
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Excellent serving of PWNADE(TM)!
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

a face like a plateful of mortal sins
        This is the most epic descriptive phrase I have ever read!

Also, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I love it when assholes get their comeuppance.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
          Sweet! Karmic bitchslaps don't happen that often, but when they do, they're SO satisfying.

Then again, I'm a horrible nice person.
          There we go, fixed that typo.

Karma is true neutral. It can reward us, it can punish us (in this life or the next), but eventually, it will always catch up to us.

(Interesting side note: The concept of Karma can be found in most religions and belief structures around the world. From Christian to Buddhism to Islam to some Native American traditions. Almost to the point of being universal. Wording and who/what causes it varies, but the general concept is always the same.)
          I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Is P still there? Or at least not in charge of anyone?
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I don't know any more than that, at the moment - I always had the impression, when I was there, that everyone else (even those above her) were scared of her. However, we all know that Head Offices do not take kindly to being embarrassed, and that can often be the trigger for dismissal / demotion when all the complaints and grievances in the world from customers and staff won't do it.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              This is the most epic descriptive phrase I have ever read!
              You're welcome! It's actually an old saying of my dad's (who got it from his dad).
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Wow, that's low! I can't believe she'd do something like that (well... I can... unfortunately). If she'd managed to pull it off you can bet that this new policy would apply to everyone but her! And she sounds like the sort of woman who'd rub it in your faces by having holidays and leaving early on NYE.

I just DESPISE people like this. Always makes me happy to watch them fall from grace.

Comment

Sad thing is in many workplaces, the employees would've just grumbled about the new "policy" and nothing more. They would've accepted it as the way things are now.

Crappy job market = manna from heaven for crappy bosses
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Sounds like Suck who refused to approve anyones vacation time this past summer because 'they were sooo short handed". Finally, in one of our daily FYI meetings, one of the more outspoken members of that dept, when we were all asked by ED if we had any concerns or needs, asked "when will we get some new employees so we can get vacation time?" Suck looked like she had just sucked 10 lemons, ED looked confused, and the rest of us started smirking because we knew Suck was had. Surprisingly, with some slight re arranging, everyone got their vacations in right after that meeting.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
                      If she'd managed to pull it off you can bet that this new policy would apply to everyone but her!
                      I wouldn't have been at all surprised, Evannah. When I was there, staff weren't allowed to make any purchases while on the clock; you could buy things in your lunch hour (for which you had to clock out) but not during your 15 minute tea break (for which you remained clocked in). P would regularly buy things during her shift, I heard her say once 'Got to have some perks' - nobody else would have dared.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                        I wouldn't have been at all surprised, Evannah. When I was there, staff weren't allowed to make any purchases while on the clock; you could buy things in your lunch hour (for which you had to clock out) but not during your 15 minute tea break (for which you remained clocked in). P would regularly buy things during her shift, I heard her say once 'Got to have some perks' - nobody else would have dared.
                        Sounds like one of the managers at my store. No-one is allowed to buy something and then keep it in the back until their shift finishes, EXCEPT, according to him, one of our senior managers who bought a TV when it was on sale and then left it in the tech area for a week

Comment

When I was there, staff weren't allowed to make any purchases while on the clock; you could buy things in your lunch hour (for which you had to clock out) but not during your 15 minute tea break (for which you remained clocked in). P would regularly buy things during her shift, I heard her say once 'Got to have some perks' - nobody else would have dared.
                          man this makes me angry.
                          Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                          What's the difference?
                          We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

It was all something that P had cooked up herself, and what's more, got the store manager to sign his name to as well.
                            We're having some issues with policy at my work, too. I guess I don't care enough to call corporate about it, and even if I did I'm sure they would back the manager and I'd be in trouble. Thing is, I have no idea if some things are real policies or not, it's mostly the way in which they are presented. As usual, attitude is everything.

It's all suddenly, "you can't do this EVER, you'll be written up, and don't think you can do it while I'm not here because the cameras see you!" Like we're all just lazy, stupid, and purposely trying to piss her off.
                            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                            X