Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Getting Hot in Here... So All the Roads are Closed.....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Seshat View Post
    Our 'end of civilisation' plan is perhaps a little morbid for discussion.
    I'm right there with you.

I've been saying for years, "When the Revolution comes, can I be first against the wall?"
    Meeeeoooow.....
    Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

threads like this make me glad I live in a pretty temperate zone. Sure the weather is bipolar (from bright and sunny to torrential rain in literally minutes) but snow is never an issue.... Would like to see some one day though

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
        Those tend to go without saying for that part of the country.
        Not to mention you'd have to get past all my neighbors too. It's a mixed blessing.
        Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
          Don't forget the french toast - how else do you explain the bread, milk and eggs

thankfully we in south jersey are at "low" on the french toast alert system

I really need to restock my MREs though. (I normally have a case or two lying around)
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
            Kind of like people who buy an air conditioner at the beginning of summer...only to return it in the fall for a refund. I know people are cheap, but all you have to do it buy it ONCE, and it'll be good for years (maybe even well over a decade). You DO know it's going to get hot again next summer, correct?
            I blame the anti-clutter idiots.

I'm sorry but being told "if you haven't used it in six months, you should get rid of it" by people who are *not* on a limited income and haven't ever had to fall back on a several year old compouter (or other item) because the newer one needs a repair that you can't afford *really pisses me off.

*I* am not "hoarding" useless stuff. I'm keeping my books, and I've got a lot of spares for my computers and A/V stuff (as well as some stuff for projects I haven't gotten around to).

The "consumer" culture and the "minimize your stuff" cultures are *insane*.

Comment

I live in MI....I grew up in FL. I've been here for 7 years and it still amazes me that if I ask 10 different people for directions on how to get to one place, I'll have 10 very different routes. In FL...there was maybe 3...possibly 4 different ways to any one place. Knowing different routes is a very good thing.

Comment

Quoth Thana View Post
                I live in MI....I grew up in FL. I've been here for 7 years and it still amazes me that if I ask 10 different people for directions on how to get to one place, I'll have 10 very different routes. In FL...there was maybe 3...possibly 4 different ways to any one place. Knowing different routes is a very good thing.
                That it is. One of my quirks is finding back roads so I spend time with ADC mapbooks and on Mapblast. My uncle thinks I'm nuts, but knowing back roads can be a lifesaver at times. Like the time some moron decided to commit suicide by jumping off the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. Police standoff for hours. Two of three lanes from MD into VA were shut down resulting in a 6 mile (11 km) backup while all three lanes from VA into MD were shut down resulting in backups up to 16 miles (25 km). It was a complete disaster and knowing back roads could save you a lot of hassle...

Comment

This morning at 6 AM I come around a corner and... the overpass is blocked off by police. My slept deprived mind took a second to realize that the cop directing traffic was not going to wave me through. Ha. Then it took me another second to realize there was a way around that only took about 5 minutes. But I didn't drive through random parking lots hoping another overpass had sprung up overnight.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth registerrodeo View Post
                    It was mayhem here the last few days because some moronic trucker decided he needed some sleep and decided to pull over on one of the main thoroughfares thru Pittsburgh (a section by my house). Trucker twit must have been real tired and not seen the fire hydrant when he pulled over a curb (as opposed to the parking lot entrance) and took that mother fucker right on out, causing a geyser and flood all over main road (route 51 south for the yinzers).
                    LOL I know *exactly* where that happened--right past the Dunkin' Donuts. Been through there many times, and I only take 51 if I have to. Route 51 sucks balls in the best of times. Too many idiots in the passing lane, too many red lights, plus that huge mess just inside the city limits at Maytide/Route 88. You'd think people would be able to deal with water. But nooooo! Some of the comments on the news, people were losing the freaking minds! There are probably a million ways around that mess. It's not like everyone doesn't have a GPS/smart phone
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Thana View Post
                      One of the first things I learned when I moved to my area was the back roads, because knowing those will help more then just during the bike weeks.
                      Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth seigus View Post
                        Guess I forgot to mention the dogs and firearms...
                        Not to worry. I'll bring mine so you won't have to share.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

IroncladAlibi, I believe you've overlooked another obstacle that would be involved in getting to seigus' place in the event of a breakdown in public services. He's mentioned being in Idaho, your locator tag says "inside the beltway" (presumably the DC area). Does your vehicle have enough fuel capacity to get there? Does it have enough cargo capacity that it can hold enough spare fuel in addition to other supplies for the trip? Remember that gas stations would also be affected by a crisis, so you wouldn't be able to refuel en-route.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Now wolfie, surely you've seen all those end-of-the-world movies that have shown up over the past several years. There is always a way to get from here to there, and reality never gets in the way.

Comment

I've also seen a few Westerns where the hero fires a dozen rounds from a Peacemaker without reloading, and a few episodes of the animated "Redbeard" series where they do the same with single-shot muzzleloaders. Doesn't mean it can be done in real life.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                                I've also seen a few Westerns where the hero fires a dozen rounds from a Peacemaker without reloading, and a few episodes of the animated "Redbeard" series where they do the same with single-shot muzzleloaders. Doesn't mean it can be done in real life.
                                None of those match the flintlock pistol in this movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X