This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parental Correction *Warning: Racist Term Used

Hubby and I were at the Mart of Wall last night. While browsing the books section, a Black teenage girl comes around the corner from toys holding a basketball under her arm. She scans the magazines and starts bouncing the basketball.

That echoing thunky-twang of a basketball on tile is headache-inducing and we both cringe. She doesn't get more than four bounces, though, before her mother comes around that corner after her.

Mom (sternly): Haven't I told you not to bounce that ball in the store?
    Sucky Brat: Why not?
    Mom: Because it's annoying. Don't be a nigger.

Hubby and I look at each other like . Yup, we both heard that correction.

The brat scowled but at least she stopped bouncing the ball.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Yep, pretty typical for this area at least.

Bright side is the kid stopped being a brat. Anything else I could say I'll save for a Fratching discussion later.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I guess it's like me telling my kids not to act like trash, but it was a surprise to hear the "n" word just tossed out like that as a reprimand. Still, if it works, I like it.
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
        I guess it's like me telling my kids not to act like trash, but it was a surprise to hear the "n" word just tossed out like that as a reprimand. Still, if it works, I like it.
        While I'm aware that the n-word has heavily negative connotations, I'm guessing in this instance, she was referring to the "gangsta" crap without mentioning the word gangster?

There's actually a song that pokes fun at the "gangsta" stuff, more specifically the white boys who try and act "gangsta".
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
          While I'm aware that the n-word has heavily negative connotations, I'm guessing in this instance, she was referring to the "gangsta" crap without mentioning the word gangster?

There's actually a song that pokes fun at the "gangsta" stuff, more specifically the white boys who try and act "gangsta".
          Not "Pretty Fly For A White Guy"?
          Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
          What's the difference?
          We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth rose_metal_nz View Post
            No the song I believe is Weird Al/Bloody Fetus "I'm a Wigga" song. (I've heard 2 claims to this song)

Although there's another one called "White and Nerdy" which I believe is a parody of "Fightin Dirty"

Comment

I'm pretty sure that first one isn't Weird Al. The second one is, and it's funny (can't vouch for what it's a parody of, since I'm not familiar with the original).
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

fh - The latter is a parody of "Ridin' Dirty" by Chamillionaire ^_^
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

They can use it. It's not as big an insult as it would be if a white person used it. Also, FYI, wigger (or wigga) is considered just as bad. I learned this the hard way when I had to deal with a situation at work, as a steward.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    fh - The latter is a parody of "Ridin' Dirty" by Chamillionaire ^_^
                    Oops. I don't listen to him (cha millionaire that is, not weird al) so shows what I know . I reckon the first one is bloody foetus (this is what he actually is called btw).

Although apparently with the latter case (white and nerdy), there's a joke about vandalising a certain wiki page. That page kept getting vandalised so many times after the song came out that eventually the guys editing the page had to put a "knock it off" thing up.

Comment

I thought the Wiki thing was over "You're Pitiful".
                      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth rose_metal_nz View Post
                        Asked for a 13, and they drew a 31.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                          I thought the Wiki thing was over "You're Pitiful".
                          It was. But the vandalism was depicted in the music video for "White & Nerdy".

Comment

OK, so both songs were connected. I don't feel quite so stupid.

Comment

Since when did bouncing a ball of all things become a racial stereotype? :P

Comment

Working...
                              X