This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New IT department issues

Our new IT company, who have outsourced the printing, have been discovering some problems with this - as have my coworkers and I. For some reason, every single document type (letterhead, logo, plain) is a different print server. Not too bad so far, but if someone starts to print a letter before lunch, hits save and wanders off, or if the margins error (which they do on quite a few templates) then the server locks down. Today we had 90 prints waiting from a half hour period because literally the entire company uses this one server for letters.
    It's not a terrible design, except that it relies on a little bit of intelligence from the users, and, given that this tends to happen every couple of days, clearly they're aiming a bit high.
    Apart from that, they're having some issues with the network connections which means, given that our pcs (with the applications all installed on C drive) have been replaced by a network terminal (I can't remember the name of it, but all applications must be loaded from the network rather than being on the PC), that Word now takes two minutes to open a template, outlook freezes every time an email is sent and that if you're ambitious enough to open several applications at once, there's a good chance that you'll lose the network entirely for the next 5 minutes. The only good side is that now we have internet-based telephones, you're not going to get any calls through whilst your computer's frozen.

Quoth Kal View Post
    It's not a terrible design, except that it relies on a little bit of intelligence from the users,
    But it is.

ANYTHING that relies on have a (l)user with an IQ above room temperature (in Centigrade) is doomed.

My sympathies having to put up with it.

Just remember the old saying - "Anytime someone comes up with something idiot proof, nature responds by getting better idiots."

B
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
    I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

They may be learning this at the moment. Unfortunately, as we've discovered recently, when the new IT company took over, they didn't put any kind of blocks on the internet so people are spending their lunchtimes watching videos on BBC iplayer or Youtube, for example, which has a nasty effect on the network speeds again.
      Apart from that, they've not disabled any user controls so anyone who wants can access the firewall/task manager/control panel and fiddle about with the settings to their little heart's content.
      Last edited by MadMike; 05-10-2013, 01:43 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post. We've already read it.

Comment

WOW...changing to all thin clients and IP phones without first checking network capacity and maybee... upgrading that first anyway. I mean that usually is the first step in going IP phones....rigghttt??? ,The Network??? That way you may even setup power over ethernet and not have an extra ac brick at every desk blocking one or two outlets.

Sounds like time to check a contracts details about 'failure to perform'.

Comment

Quoth technopoptart View Post
          WOW...changing to all thin clients and IP phones without first checking network capacity and maybee... upgrading that first anyway. I mean that usually is the first step in going IP phones....rigghttt??? ,The Network??? That way you may even setup power over ethernet and not have an extra ac brick at every desk blocking one or two outlets.

Sounds like time to check a contracts details about 'failure to perform'.
          Funny, as my office plans a transition to ipphones, our FIRST step was to figure out what new network gear we need. Because, you know, it's kind of important.
          Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Thin Clients are evil. We had them at a few of my jobs and basically if the network failed for any reason we couldn't do *anything*. At least with 'proper' desktops you could have a number of strategic things saved on the C drive and work on those (and just remember to back them up in case the C drives were wiped...)
            I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
              Thin Clients are evil. We had them at a few of my jobs and basically if the network failed for any reason we couldn't do *anything*. At least with 'proper' desktops you could have a number of strategic things saved on the C drive and work on those (and just remember to back them up in case the C drives were wiped...)
              Not here at The Client. Data can be saved to the C drive on the desktops here, but it gets wiped upon log-out and on shut down/start-up. Everyone has to save stuff to their network drive.

There are ways to recover stuff that was saved to the temp folders, but it's not easy to do.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
              X