This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDMI to...

The main TV in the living room is a fairly decent modern machine so recently we bought a Chromecast for it. (Amazing bit of kit if you haven't already got one).

However we want to use it in the bedroom where we only have a crappy old portable. And I do mean old. It's CRT, has a standard RF connector, and red/white/yellow component connectors.

...and that's it.

Is there a way of connecting it or am I gonna have to bite the bullet and buy a new TV?

you'll need to get an active HDMI-analogue converter - pretty sure such a thing exists, but probably won't be too cheap due to the decoding/converting needed

Comment

I had a feeling that would be the case.

Maybe I should also add that the TV has an Xbox 360 plugged into it (but not HDMI-compatible). Wonder if there's a way of using the Chromecast with this?

Comment

Do you have a set-top recorder? Sometimes they have an HDMI input and analogue outs... They're quite common over here in Aus now that they've turned off analogue TV broadcasts

Comment

We've got Sky+ which is sort of the same thing but again that's plugged into the main TV. The portable is just an Xbox and DVD player now.

Comment

Even at monoprice, it seems you're looking at $38 or so for Component (RGB) <> HDMI. Yeek. If you mean RCA connectors (yellow video + red/white audio), they can be had at MP for ten bucks or less. The video quality will be potato compared to actual HDMI, but if that's your only option, it's better than no TV at all.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

MP?

Well I'm converting HD to a standard definition portable so I can't imagine it's gonna look amazing anyway.

Comment

Monoprice dot com

'Tis a place to get cheap cables and such for, well, cheap.

(e.g - for a straight hdmi to hdmi cable, quality doesn't matter so much; either it works 100% or it doesn't work at all, as it's digital)
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Monoprice dot com

'Tis a place to get cheap cables and such for, well, cheap.

(e.g - for a straight hdmi to hdmi cable, quality doesn't matter so much; either it works 100% or it doesn't work at all, as it's digital)
                  for cheap cables make sure the length is <1.5-2m - anything longer than that is prone to drop signal due to interference (the HDMI standard really wasn't designed for long distance cabling)

Comment

I try to avoid video cables longer than that anyway, regardless ^_^ I do own a 12-foot or so XB360 RGB cable that I picked up from a garage sale years ago, tho. It never gave me any trouble, but I've since moved on to HDMI.

Comment

Forgot I posted this. Yeah my memory can be a bit rubbish sometime.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Something tells me this is going to be tricky from all accounts. Think I'll need to get a new TV in the long run.

Comment

Working...
                      X