Clear All

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
    "I was not fazed by Kitty phasing through the wall."
    ....Pixel!

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
      ....Pixel!
      RAH! RAH! RAH! -- Spider
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Yeah, I can relate to names being shortened like that. ugh. I grew up near a place called "Shelbyvile", but the locals all called it "Shevville". With a southern accent, it sounds like a lot like "shovel".
        The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
          Oh HOLY HELL. This.

We were watching 'Dogs 101' a while back, and it was talking about the Norwich Terrier. Pronouncing it 'Norr-which'.

@.@

AUUUUGH. I couldn't watch it, it sounded DREADFUL. I suppose it's all right, it's just I'm used to the home saying. I posted on FB afterwards, giving the correct pronounciation - 'Norritch'. A Yank friend of mine commented '*has pronounced it wrong his entire life* XP' and a Brit friend commented 'People from Norfolk say it as Narrch, so... '

XD It was amusing. I just wonder how some folk pronounce some of the odder names in the UK...we went through Housemate's big book of Cathedrals recently, having a giggle at awful potential pronounciations of some settlements...
          I tried to make it a point to find out how to pronounce the place names, especially local places. We did get a chuckle out of some American pronunciations, and to be fair, the odd chuckle at a British news anouncer or someone on TV mis-pronouncing American place names as well.

Of course it's impossible to always get it right, so I made many mistakes, and am pretty tolerant of others as well. What did drive me up the wall were some of the people my husband worked with, who had no interest in knowing the correct pronunciation, and even would complain and insist that the local pronunciations were "stupid" This was in Wales, where local name were, gee, WELSH ! Yet they would argue that they should be pronounced as they would be in English (and American English at that). After a few conversations where I found myself being less than polite (in fact, I was looking for something heavy to smack them with ) I finally had to just refuse to be in the same room with a few of them, since my sightseeing plans did not include the inside of a British gaol.

Madness takes it's toll....
          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

AD does NOT mean "After Death". It stands for "Anno Domini", and it goes before the date, not after. BC goes after the date.

AD 2012, 1500 BC.

The past tense of "sneak" is "sneaked", not "snuck", just as the past tense of "leak" is "leaked", not "luck".

Comment

Working...
            X