Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screw that, if they need it they, well, NEED it. And if I needed something and couldn't afford to drop 200 bucks on a new piece of software, I'd be damn happy the technician on th eother end told me about a solution

Salll' about the customer service I guess.

Comment

I hate office for mac, it makes me unhappy in the most uncomfortable way. Almost like watching The Ring, you know the part where the nail goes through the finger and you actually see it lift the fingernail *shudders*

Neo Office all the way! I have been known to tell customers about it, because the Mac Office Trial doesn't even allow you to print!
      At least Adam and Steve don't have to worry about leaving the toilet seat up

Comment

Quoth Mr. Rude View Post
        .....................openoffice.org

Nuff said
        I installed that on my stepfather's new computer until such time as I could get the data off of his old hard drive (but you can bet that his pirated copy of Office will not go back on the new computer).

Cue about fifteen minutes of neeping "But it doesn't have Powerpoint/Excel!" and patient (maybe too patient) explanation that yes, it could both read and save in those formats. I'm thinking that RTFM is beyond him. He's too cheap to pay for the full MS Office, so he better learn OO.

College was fun as the majority of instructors didn't believe that I could have found a non-MS program that handled most formats (one went so far as to delay grading classwork until I could "prove" to him that the program I was using was legit, luckily that didn't take long and I had my computer science advisor to back me up).
        Last edited by Dreamstalker; 12-30-2006, 04:52 AM.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I'm another one who recommends OpenOffice to people. My one friend runs her own business, and she mentioned needing MS Office so she could access the documents people send her. I told her not to waste her money on that, and told her about OpenOffice, which is free. She must have thanked me a dozen times. It's not that she couldn't afford it, but why spend the money if you don't need to?
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
            My brother did that with his, modifying the splash screen and wallpaper to say 'Windows 97'.

I think my favorite splash screen mod was one where the clouds were replaced with storm clouds, with flashing lightning. The Windows logo was filled with cracks and holes, and the title said "Cracked Windows 95." The smaller "with Plus!" logo had been modified to say "with Bugs!"

I remember altering a friend's to say "Cab smells".

We call him Cab, by the way. It's a laugh riot around here, I can tell you...

Rapscallion

Comment

Gah! This used to happen to me ALL THE TIME when I was in computer sales. People just don't get it.
              And openoffice, while a wonderful piece of software, I would not even FATHOM trying to explain that to one of these people. You would get stuck in an endless loop of "So it's Microsoft Word? No? I need that? ...explain again... So it's Mircosoft Word?"
              Loop
              as hawthorne once said JUST SAY YES

Comment

Quoth yahurd View Post
                as hawthorne once said JUST SAY YES
                Oh heck no. When that happens, they will inevitably call back and scream "You said I have Microsoft Word! I don't! I want money back for Office I never spent in the first place!" or some other unreasonable demand.

And the owner of the company was such a moron, he always caved to those demands.

I hated that job.

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
                  She replied that she did not see an icon on her desktop for windows and she wanted to use windows RIGHT NOW.

... This argument of what windows was went on for quite some time.

I finally convinced her that Office and Windows were two separate things. Took me an hour.

I'm sorry ma'am but we will be by to pick up your system. You are too stupid to own a computer.

Ironically, I was planning to pick up a copy of Office this weekend.

Comment

Oh heck no. When that happens, they will inevitably call back and scream "You said I have Microsoft Word! I don't! I want money back for Office I never spent in the first place!" or some other unreasonable demand.

And the owner of the company was such a moron, he always caved to those demands.
                    id just tell them to draw a shape in draw and right-click select convert to->3d
                    then i tell them i did them a favor and hang up
                    [offtopic]at barnes and noble i heard a woman say "my puzzle lost three pieces and ive had it three years i dont know if it came from here"AND SHE GOT A RE(if you can call it that)FUND [/offtopic]

Comment

So did she think Office was Windows, or did she think Windows was a program that you can click on, like the Internet?

I'm a bit confused about the OP.
                      "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                        I get that too and it drives me CRAZY!

On my computer upgrade form, I ask faculty and staff to list any programs that they use, and note that Office 2003 and Firefox will already be installed. I can't even count how many had Word, Powerpoint or Excel listed.

A DUH!

Jenni
                        A quick check shows at least two different versions of Office 2003 available retail, one of which does not include Powerpoint.

And if they've been around long enough ( like me :P ) they may even remember when they were sold as individual products.
                        ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth anode_probe View Post
                          Hahaha!!! Now try explainign that to a Mac user :P
                          Honestly, whether it's Mac or PC, one thing is for sure, Stupid people saturate both platforms making life complete hell for tech support. The only downside about knowing Macs at an ISP, is that you're always the dedicated "Mac Guru". PC users always cut down the Macintosh platform constantly, but when it comes to having to troubleshoot them. I always hear this beep in my ear following a voice "Yeah, I have a customer with a Mac, Can you help them"

Even with a Mac some people are way beyond the boundaries of "Help".
                          So I tell the swamp donkey to sock it before I give her a trunky in the tradesman's entrance and have her lick me yarbles! - Hooligan from the Movie Eurotrip.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                            SC: "I DON'T SEE WINDOWS!"
                            Me: Have you checked your walls?
                            typical windows joke

Hahaha!!! Now try explaining that to a Mac user :P
                            id just tell them the hilarious story about the windows user(most mac guys are pretty smart, before windows this was not the case as msdos was a doozy to master,yet as mac os x is bsd in disguise teh are unix 1337^o^)

but honestly, all kidding aside, they can be just as bad.

Comment

Working...
                            X