This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIRE BAD!

The title to this is part of an actual call I gave to EB around christmas. It's one of those things that strikes me as hilarous, but it has a great happy ending.

The setting: EB games, 1 week before Xmas.
    The characters: 1 Used Xbox 360, 1 new power convertor, 1 fire extinguisher.

Background:

Having bought the 360 for X mas (odd that I have to buy my own presents) I took it home. A day before christmas eve, my family says I can go ahead and use it. So, I do. I smelled ozone around the thing and figured the power brick was bad. So I replaced that. Still smelled ozone. So, I called the store: this was the phone call.

EB: Thank you for calling. blah blah, sales pitch sales pitch. (he actually said that) How can I help you?
    Me: Laughing some. "Hey, listen, I've got an X box from you, bought it a few days ago and I've a problem.
    EB: Problem? What kind of problem?
    Me: Well, it's odd really. It smells funny. Kinda like ozone or something. You know, when an electronic is burning up?
    EB: Fire bad.
    Me: Yes. Fire bad. Can you help me out?
    EB: sure, bring it on down and if we can replace it we will. If not, Ah heck, we'll make it good.

So, I head down there, and find out this cool guy I was talking to was either the store manager, or the district manager. Either way, he pulls me aside, we dig the thing out and plug it up. He's gotta test it.

We stand there talking, not far from the thing, and this conversation comes out of it.
    EB: So, how long had it been on before you smelled the stuff?
    Me: bout twenty minutes or so. Not long.
    EB: (nodding) Sounds like someone traded in a crap system. We'll do something...(He turns.) Oh that's different.

Looking around, we see the Xbox sitting on the counter with great blue flames coming out of the top. The case is blistering and the clerk at the counter; bless his soul, is doing transactions like nothing's amiss. Customers are staring at it though, like it's a bomb...then again, wouldn't you stare at a burning machine? The manager I'm talking to, sighs and then says aloud to the clerk. "Uh. Dude. FIRE?"

The clerk nods. "Soon as I finish this." he says, turning to get another game, with the manager staring at me. A second later, the manager grabs an extinguisher, bathes the system (and most of the store) in this white cloud before he turns to the clerk. "Fire bad. Fire very bad."

So what did I get out of the mix? I now own a new 360 (not used) With HD, and a killer Gears of War, faceplate. Plus, I've a year paid at Xbox live. All to make up for the old one burning up.
    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

That is one thing I like about the policies about EB and Gamestop, you get a game from them and it's bad, they will just swap it out with no questions.

Hell I love their used game policies, you can have the game for a hell of a long time and you can bring it back for a full refund. I usually give myself one week with a used game before I decide if I want it for the long haul.

Comment

I had to call Microsoft, about a week ago, for the 360, we have at work for the customers. That jerk, keep blaming me and my boss, for it smoking. Then his manager was doing the samething. They kept wanting to talk to my buddy, but he was with his wife at her familys house. We got treated like crap.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Bah! M$ never takes blame for things. That's why they are still sending out bad 360s to people.

So far I have seen (bear in mind, these returns are all sold factory-fresh

5 returned due to used hard drives. (HDDs are linked to the 360 so they can't be transferred)

A 10% failure rate on the console itself. ( we had so many returned, we couldn't secure them in our cages anymore.

Countless missing copies of free games. As well as several defective copies of said game.

M$ accountability? None. They claim it's our promo for the games, despite the entirety of the packages being assembled and sealed before they leave M$.

How many PS3's returned? Six, all Factory-fresh (probably couldn't get a profit on ebay ) How many defective? One. Maybe.

How many Wiis returned? Zero.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

That is hilarious!! Fire bad LOL!!!

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
            The manager I'm talking to, sighs and then says aloud to the clerk. "Uh. Dude. FIRE?"

The clerk nods. "Soon as I finish this."
            hahaha ROFL

That was great!
            "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
            -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

Hey now, fire IS bad. Why all the confusion? LOL
              The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
                Looking around, we see the Xbox sitting on the counter with great blue flames coming out of the top. The case is blistering and the clerk at the counter; bless his soul, is doing transactions like nothing's amiss. Customers are staring at it though, like it's a bomb...then again, wouldn't you stare at a burning machine?
                Please pardon me for being the party pooper here, but...what's the source for these flames? Was the Xbox plugged into an outlet while sitting on the counter? Are we talking spontaneous combustion here? If you were able to get it from your house to the store without incident, I'm at a loss as to why it would suddenly shoot "great blue flames" once it got to the EB.
                Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Quoth PuckishOne View Post
                  I'm at a loss as to why it would suddenly shoot "great blue flames" once it got to the EB.
                  It sounds like the failing component finally went, and had nothing to do with EB.

With that said, I don't think the freebies were given entirely for the original 360 failing...but because the employee was an idiot and let it burn, rather than attempting to put it out.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth PuckishOne View Post
                    Please pardon me for being the party pooper here, but...what's the source for these flames? Was the Xbox plugged into an outlet while sitting on the counter?
                    He said they plugged it in to test it.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
                      He said they plugged it in to test it.
                      Cool, thank you. I continue to be at the mercy of a variety of cough-busting pharmaceuticals, so things can slip past me at lightning speed.
                      Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

I really can't see any semi- normal person/people screwing around with that. Fire can spread very quickly they wouldn't just stand there and let it go like it was no big deal.
                        "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                        HellGate: London

Comment

Well, I have to wonder just how much "embellishment" for the sake of a good story was at play.
                          I don't mean to insinuate that it didn't happen, or repsac is not truthful, but I just can't picture an employee standing beside a burning XBox and having to be told by the manager that the thing was on fire.

That just sounds a little too much like going for a convenient laugh.

reapsac is not without writing talent or storytelling prowess, so that part just doesn't sit right with me, although I, too, am currently under the influence of cold medicine and my instincts could be a little clouded.
                          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                            Well, I have to wonder just how much "embellishment" for the sake of a good story was at play.
                            ... I, too, am currently under the influence of cold medicine and my instincts could be a little clouded.
                            Personally, I'm not on anything and I'm also wondering the same thing.
                            "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                            HellGate: London

Comment

Quoth NightAngel View Post
                              Personally, I'm not on anything and I'm also wondering the same thing.
                              Don't worry, I'm a little curious to know the details as well. While I would understand the employee freezing up in panic, to say that the employee ignored the whole affair-and the customer he/she was helping said nothing at all-is a little too much for me. And if I were the manager or bossman that was there, I would be saying alot more than "fire bad!"
                              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Working...
                              X