This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They're not all bad

Sometimes it can be an earlier techs fault as to why people get irate. Case in point....

The other day I get a call from a customer and it went something like this:

Customer: My domain account is locked out could you please reset it for me?

Me: Just a second while I pull up your account (Pull up her account), OK I'm not showing it as locked let me check in another place (pull up the account with a different tool), No, not showing it locked there either, What is it that you are trying to log into?

Customer: (Gives name of program)

Me: OK, we don't handle that password, you need to call this department. (Give name of department)

Customer: (Sounding irritated) I already talked to them and they told me I need to talk to you because if my domain account is locked that is the problem.

Me: OK, let me ask you this, can you get to any web site outside of the network like google.com, yahoo.com

Customer: Just a sec, let me try. Yep can get to them just fine

Me: OK that tells me that your domain account is just fine, and you state you already spoke with [Earlier stated department]

Customer: Yes and I really need to get into this program.

I could tell that she was irritated and I could understand her frustration, did not want to keep getting bounced around

Me: OK, let me put you on hold, I'm going to get them on the phone and conference you in, I know the problem is on their end but at least if you have me on the phone you won't keep getting bounced back and forth.

Conferenced in the other department, explained the situation and they put me and the original customer on hold why they looked up the problem (Not an uncommon thing, I do that with customers myself sometimes)

While on hold, I kept apologizing to the customer that while I can't speak for that deparrtment, a simple account unlock should take about two minutes.

After being on hold for about 10 minutes, a supervisor from the other department gets on the phone (Not realizing that I am also on the line) and states that it is not on their end, she needs to call Global (My department), I chime in that I already checked everything on our end and her account is not locked. We are put back on hold.

To make a long story short, after talking to 4 different people and 40 mins later, it was determined that the url for what she had been trying to get into was changed and she was accessing it through a bookmark. She was never even given a redirect to the new url or any notification that it was changing. She went to the new url and everything was fine.

Later that day, my manager called me to her office to talk about a call from previous customer, I knew I did nothing wrong and immediately though what a SC, to complain on me after I went out of my way and killed my Average Call TIme to do the conference call.

I will not jump to that conclusion again, she contacted my manager to give thanks for having an analyst so patient and apologetic even though it was not my fault.

Anybody else have some positive experience stories to tell?

A thankful customer?

*ducks and listens for trumpet sounds, plagues, and the second coming of the Llama gods...."

Comment

I actually have a lot of stories that are similar, and will not go into all of them. But I will always remember the woman I helped with her email. She'd called in 7 times already that day, between local office and National Help Desk (my department) trying to get her email to work. When she called me, she told me that she needed a Port number. So we went into her account settings and checked them, but the ports were all correct, so I asked her to recreate the error for me. She then told me that she was being asked for a user name and password. I asked her what she had in the username. She had her full email address instead of just everything before the @ (a common mistake). Within 6 minutes of me answering the phone I had her fixed. She asked me to speak to a manager, and told my manager what an amazing help I'd been. It made me feel really good Those are the customers that keep me coming to work, and staying through all the ass hats.

Comment

I had to spend twice as much time on 2 different calls 2 days ago then should been required due to two previous "techs."

Situation 1:

The first one was a woman who was trying to install Mcafee, on a PC that was basically brand new (it was sitting in a moving box for 2 years and was used maybe 6 times before then). The previous tech had issues uninstalling her Norton (but she finally got through it) and proceeded to install Mcafee. Well, Mcafee started to malfunction with lots of false reporting and other shit, so what does the tech do? Got frustrated and started a virus scan and had her call back!

When I got her, PC was running slow and she couldn't get online. Mcafee destroyed her winsock keys so not only did I have to have her uninstall Mcafee but I had to spend time in the registry with her. Rebooted and all was well, I ran some spyware checks and everything was hunky dory.

Situation 2:

The tech who helped her is one of the better ones, so maybe it was a brain fart or he was being a lazy ass. She could not get online, and the day before she called twice and got the same tech. Well her issue was she could not get online. After doing about 2 hours of troubleshooting, the previous tech had her run a chkdsk /r and then a repair from her XP CD. Well after her bitching to me that she was wasting her time yesterday, I calmed her down and decided to have her disconnect her router and plug her cable modem directly into her PC. That did it, she was able to get online no problem. I did a few checks on her system, not to mention I had to reinstall her printer as the repair reinstall knocked it out.

Comment

She had her full email address instead of just everything before the @ (a common mistake).
          You know, that is SO common I'd think ISP's would have just fixed it in software by now. It can't be that hard to tell a computer to ignore @ and anything after it.
          Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

It'd be up to Microsoft to fix that issue, unfortunately Outlook Express will take anything you type into it, then tell the user that they were "successful", yeah, at entering the information. And Mr. User, why would a program have you type in the box, the same thing it says by the box? Such as POP3 or SMTP? And adding an acct in OE, doesn't mean that its a valid email address on your ISPs system. There maybe a way for ISPs to program their system to ignore the full email address mistake on their side, but I'm sure someone would find a way to exploit it.

Of course this doesn't apply to webmail interfaces where we have two boxes to enter your email address, and it seperates it with an @ and already has the domain.com in the last box. No, you do not have to type that part, it's like a puzzle or crossword, just fill in the blanks.
            Last edited by BravoOrig; 02-14-2007, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X