Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah, she sounds like she was just having a bad day. Happens to all of us.

Comment

I guess she was having a bad night and didn't realize how she was coming across. I'm glad you tipped her well, working hard for nothing tends to wear thin after a while. She would have been sucky if she had complained and wanted more than ten dollars.
      It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
      -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

I always leave a tip, even if the waiter/tress was deplorable. I remember one time, a group of friends and I went to Bennigan's, only to be completely ignored after she took the orders. She was sitting chatting with her friends that came in to eat (who were seated just below us, so we could see them). Another server had to bring us our food after about an hour of just sitting there. She didn't bother to check on us until we were just about to leave. We left her a penny tip and handed the other server his tip. I know it wasn't nice, but that was the worst dining experience I've ever had.
        "Stupidity isn't punishable by death. If it was, there would be a hell of a population drop."
        - Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
          Raised eyebrows are powerful.
          But are they as powerful as "The Teacher Look"
          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
            my mum had a "you are in SUCH deep trouble when you get home" look

it made me immune to any teacher or any eyebrow raising.... those looks are nothing compared to the wrath of my mother

but then my mother reminded me of the trunchbull from Matilda so.......
            I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

If I may give my 2cents... I personally like the idea of paying on credit (double points at restaurants ) and leaving a cash tip, 3 reasons, one I know people who work tips who like having a physical guage to go off of through the night, 2nd that way I know managers aren't cheating them like they could easily do, and 3rd, at least when my mother worked as a controller at a restaurant, the IRS estimated the server's income based off of what was on the credit card tips... so the less they have on credit cards the less they have to pay in taxes
              oh and to the OP, I'd say slightly sucky, but all things considered I'd say it is understandable and forgivable.
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth the_std View Post
                Especially against mimes.
                Which reminds me, I need to get a shirt with "Learn the words!" written on it upside down.
                [/off topic]

For the OP, sounds like she had a shitty night, and you made it a whole lot better.
                The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

She slid it into her machine behind the counter and there was nothing for me to put my pin in. So I guess she did have to ask. Normally they hand you something and you write down what you want to tip and what the total is.

I fully understand having a bad day and thinking everybody is going to be the same. I just hope it helped her feel a little better. And I hope the manager who was standing there appreciated her a little more too.

Comment

They ask if you want to leave a tip on the card, too, at my local Denny's.

From what was int he OP, I think the waitress was having a rough night. I think that excellent service overrides any speck of attitude that she may have had in her tone.
                    Also, she might be like me... Customers often think I'm being sarcastic or cold, but I just speak a certain way and I don't even realize it. Either that or they confuse "not ecstatic" with "a total bitch."

Comment

I'd say she was a bit sucky for her tone. You didn't deserve that.

Regarding the #1 rule in restaurants ... let me just say this to servers and cooks here: if I were to catch you messing with my or my family's food, you WILL need serious medical and perhaps reconstructive surgical attention. And, I know that I am not alone in this level of zeal.

A customer getting upset because you or a co-worker sucks does not give you permission to screw with what they are about to put into their body. Remember, the customer is the one give money to you in this ... not the other way around. You are not doing them a favor by being there.
                      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth Bieshmahaw View Post
                        We left her a penny tip and handed the other server his tip. I know it wasn't nice, but that was the worst dining experience I've ever had.
                        That's nasty, but well thought. It means you are not one of those who "don't believe in tipping", but clearly indicates how you felt about her service. I'm pretty sure that got your point across. If it didn't, even two Death Stars and a Clue-Bat© wouldn't.

Quoth Primer View Post
                        Quoth Kiwi View Post
                        my mum had a "you are in SUCH deep trouble when you get home" look

it made me immune to any teacher or any eyebrow raising.... those looks are nothing compared to the wrath of my mother
                        Never underestimate the power of the Raised Eyebrow. It sometimes can be mightier than both the proverbial Pen and Sword.

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                        Which reminds me, I need to get a shirt with "Learn the words!" written on it upside down.
                        [/off topic]
                        This made me laugh. Now I need one too.

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                        A customer getting upset because you or a co-worker sucks does not give you permission to screw with what they are about to put into their body. Remember, the customer is the one give money to you in this ... not the other way around. You are not doing them a favor by being there.
                        Any kind of trade is a two-way part. Offer crappy service, mangle your orders will get you stiffed. Berate the waiting staff, complain without reason, stiff them and have the gull to come back will get you crappy service and mangled orders.

Whether you are part of the staff or a customer, you kinda do the other a favor. If you're a customer, you do them a favor by helping them being a profitable business. If you're part of the staff, you do them a favor by cooking and bringing your food for you.
                        "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

I guess we use the word "favor" differently. I view that as the normal part of the exchange.

When I go to a restaurant, I expect relatively fast service (if I'm ordering at McD's, I expect my burger quickly ... if I'm at a fancy restaurant "fast" means a totally different thing ... I'm aware that the cooking of my food actually takes time). I expect that the staff will be polite and not allow their own personal problems to spill into my meal. I expect that the establishment will be clean.

The staff and the management expect that I will eat in a reasonable amount of time (at McD's, this is relatively short, at the fancy restaurant, not so short). They expect that I and the rest of my party will leave in a reasonable amount of time to help increase turn over. They expect that I will not paint the walls, floor, and other parts of the restaurant with condiments and other food items. They expect that I will not steal silverware or other items from them. They expect that I'll be at the very least civil. And, they expect that I will pay the bill and tip appropriately.

I call that commerce ... an exchange with unspoken expectations. To me, favors are one-sided. As I said, perhaps we use the word differently ... because, I think we agree on the principles.
                          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Yeah, my not being a native English speaker might be the cause of that, too. But, when you think about it, a fair trade is when both parties think they made a good deal, right ?

But yeah, a real favor would be when the restaurant staff gives you a free drink because you're well-tipping regulars, or when you bring them new good customers.
                            "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Only time I didn't tip was when I was in high school. A group of us went out to a local diner and we got horrendous service, for example, it took 45 minutes just to get our drinks and it wasn't that busy, and other tables were being served in a normal fashion (by our own waitress). I think we wrote something on a napkin something like "if you served us like everyone else, you would have gotten a tip". We also wrote it in jelly because we didn't have a pen . Now I'm not so passive aggressive and would probably complain to the manager about something like that.

Only other time I really didn't want to get a tip was when I went to a Cosi with my then boyfriend. We were never even greeted by our server and other tables that were seated 10+ minutes after us got greeted and their food served. The only time the server talked to us was to ask us if we needed the spare chair. By that point I was just really angry and curious how long it would take her to realize she hadn't even greeted us. At the 45 minute mark, I got fed up and complained to the manager. If you know me, that means I'm REALLY angry, even angry enough to start getting sarcastic "I'm sorry that I'm apparently not good looking enough to be flirted with, and thus not worthy of being served..." (a table of guys from Germany sat next to us and she immediately ran up to them to serve them and was obviously flirting with them).

We ended up getting a server from an entirely different section and the entire bill comp'd. I was still really angry at the first server and didn't want to leave a tip, but I knew that it wasn't the second server's fault so I left a decent tip on it.

Comment

Sucky? Probably not. Odds are you mis-interpreted the frustration and stress in her voice as sarcasm.

Kudos for making her day.
                                I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Working...
                                X