This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghostie stories

I love Halloween. I just love it. I love pumpkins and autumn leaves and clear, sunny days with a billion stars at night. I love making cookies. I love that special feeling in the air, the one that you (well, I, anyway) don't get at any other time of year.

And I adore ghost stories.

So, let's do a pre-Halloween ghosty round of stories! Share your stories. Your friends' stories. Anyone's stories.

Come on, everybody!

I saw a ghost once. Shorty after we moved into our house I was walking down the hallway from the living room to the bedrooms when a lady ghost appeared in front of me and I walked though her. I turned and she was gone. And that's all there is tell. Never saw her again.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I don't have anything crazy, I don't really believe in ghosts as such... That being said, in this apartment one time I woke up randomly in the middle of the night with my heart pounding like I'd had a nightmare. After a few seconds, my cat who had been asleep next to me on the bed wakes up and bolts into the living room like he was being chased. I went out and looked out the windows into the parking lot but didn't see or hear anything. I kept thinking "we both just heard something" but I couldn't shake the anxious feeling for a while.

It normally takes a lot to shake me. I live by myself and have for a long time. Maybe because I grew up in a cabin in the middle of the woods, so I got used to all kinds of odd sounds, I would have to walk in the dark from my car up the drive to the house, etc. Our back door didn't always shut correctly and one night I was walking to the bathroom when the back door slams open from the wind. The back porch faced the dark woods. In the movies people would scream or something. I calmly shut and locked the door. So yeah, I still think about that one night when me and my cat got scared out of our sleep.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

My house is straight up haunted. My boyfriend's former GF passed away suddenly before he and I got together. She died at home, in the house I now live in. Her ghost hangs around, keeping tabs on everyone. You can tell when she's around because you suddenly start smelling fresh cigarette smoke. Can't see anything, and no one has smoked inside that house for over 10 years and all the furniture is new and the carpets have been shampooed lots of times (about once a year- we have pets).

There are also the spirits of at least two cats still hanging around. You can sometimes see where they're walking across a bed or sofa, and can feel it when one of them walks across you.

I got to see my dad just before he passed away, and he confided that he was scared. He was a hard core atheist, and was pretty well convinced that oblivion is what's after and the thought scared him but the whole religious "God will make everything okay" is just not something he was able to accept. He insisted on a theological debate with a priest who came to see him in the hospital... Who argues with a priest that God doesn't exist on their literal death bed?? The point I'm wandering toward is that I told my dad about the ghosts in my house, and that I don't know what's beyond this but I suspect there's something. Thing is, I don't need a god or heaven or hell or anything like that to explain it. My viewpoint seemed to comfort him a lot, and for that I'm glad.
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

My old place in NOLA -- Growing up there tends to make one at least be open to the possibility of the supernatural being real

Lived in one side of a duplex for ~20 years. Our side had once been the landlord's apartment, so the only access to the attic was on our side. Note that none of us used the attic (it was mostly the LL's old crap that we didn't bother with). Every so often, we'd hear footsteps from up there, even though we knew there was nobody present. We'd be downstairs and hear it sometimes, even when we knew that the people in the other side of the duplex were out at work, and neither of us had any pets.

We eventually came to terms with it, and we called our house spirit "The Colonel." No physical sightings, and we just figured it was best to let him be.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

We have an attic space above our apartment that is big enough to be an apartment itself. Michael is convinced we have a ghost living up there and I'm inclined to believe it as we do live very close to where a man was murdered by his wife in the late thirties. We also live by a river and if my brief experience with a paranormal group serves me, bodies of water are great conductors of paranormal activity.
            Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

Quoth TheWolfEmperor View Post
              We have an attic space above our apartment that is big enough to be an apartment itself. Michael is convinced we have a ghost living up there and I'm inclined to believe it as we do live very close to where a man was murdered by his wife in the late thirties. We also live by a river and if my brief experience with a paranormal group serves me, bodies of water are great conductors of paranormal activity.
              Whoa! What was the murder case? Sounds fascinating!

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                *snip*

There are also the spirits of at least two cats still hanging around. You can sometimes see where they're walking across a bed or sofa, and can feel it when one of them walks across you.

I got to see my dad just before he passed away, and he confided that he was scared. He was a hard core atheist, and was pretty well convinced that oblivion is what's after and the thought scared him but the whole religious "God will make everything okay" is just not something he was able to accept. He insisted on a theological debate with a priest who came to see him in the hospital... Who argues with a priest that God doesn't exist on their literal death bed?? The point I'm wandering toward is that I told my dad about the ghosts in my house, and that I don't know what's beyond this but I suspect there's something. Thing is, I don't need a god or heaven or hell or anything like that to explain it. My viewpoint seemed to comfort him a lot, and for that I'm glad.
                If any animal were able to haunt a place, I'd put my money on cats.

I'll bet the priest was rather staggered as well by your dad's insistence on debating the issue of an afterlife, LOL.

I have a couple of "not-really-ghost-but-well-who-knows" stories. One involves my maternal grandmother. Grandpa worked shifts at a foundry that was right behind their house, so he often came home for meals even in the middle of the night. Grandma would get up and either make him something or heat something up for him.

So one night she woke up and heard the back door open. She called his name but got no answer. She called once or twice more ... no answer. So she got up and went to look. Nobody there, the door was closed and locked. I don't remember asking but it's possible that she checked the basement as well (it was a VERY small house; if he was anywhere on the main floor, she'd have seen him).

I remember saying to her, "So what did you do?"

Grandma: "I went back to bed."

Me:
                I would have ended up UNDER the bed, LOL.

Second story involves me, many years ago. I half woke up to hear a tapping on my bedroom window. "Oh, it's just a tree branch" was my first thought.

Then I woke up completely and remembered ... there WERE no trees outside my window, at least none close enough to have a branch hit the window, no matter how windy it was.

And it couldn't have been a person because ... I was on the third floor of an apartment building. So if somebody was tapping on my window ... shades of Stephen King's Salem's Lot ...

I remember being far more frightened than the actual incident warranted, and I still don't know why. Nowadays I tend to look at any cats in the vicinity; if they are sound asleep, I assume that I didn't actually "hear" anything.
                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                  Whoa! What was the murder case? Sounds fascinating!
                  Here's a semi-sufficient wiki article on it. If Michael is up to it, I'll see if he wants to do another episode of our vlog to explain it in greater detail.

Also, I guess I was off about exactly when it happened. I thought it was the mid twentieth century for some reason. I only know Mike showed me the cemetery they refused to bury her in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Rogers_(murderer)
                  Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

I have a few interesting stories since I've seen ghosts most of my life...

Story 1:

I'm visiting family in Maryland, and we're having dinner in this OLD OLD hotel in the middle of town. Off to one side and behind me slightly, is the waiter area (not hostess stand, pitchers of tea and water and roll silverware kinda place), and it wasn't uncommon for the staff to slip back there quickly and disappear (I think the kitchen access was back there too). Well, I kept feeling like someone was looking at me and pointing at me, despite no other occupied tables in that section and it was always out of the corner of my eye. Finally, I managed to get a good look, and it was an old man and a little boy (8-10 maybe) dressed in wet weather boating gear. Keep in mind this was the kind of place that you didn't dress casually in, so no person would have been dressed like that at that time....plus when I blinked I swore I heard laughter and they were gone.

Story 2:

I'm living in this old house in the basement apartment, and I'd never really felt anything down there before...but I've had my cat now for a few years, and he's 2 or 3 at the time. his favorite place to sleep was either between my knees or at my hip (if he was under the covers with me). it was either REALLY REALLY late at night or REALLY REALLY early in the morning...I just know I woke up from a sound sleep, wide awake because it felt like someone was watching me. I turn my head around (I was on my stomach, had faced the outside wall, the cat was sound asleep at my knees) and see a woman standing half in and half out of my solid pine wood dresser. She was dressed in what i would call victorian upper class (high necked dress, long sleeves, poofy shoulders). I told her to go away I was sleeping and I'd deal with her in the morning....and rolled right back over to sleep another few hours.

Story 3:

Parents and I are having dinner with some friends in this OLD hotel way up in the mountains of North Carolina/Tennessee, which used to be an old house/mansion. Mom told me that this place may have spirits cause of its age. Nothing seemed out of place when we were sat down at the table for dinner, but I kept hearing someone giggling but sounded far away, and to faint to be from the general table conversation. Never did see anything at that time, but I got the very distinct impression there was someone there, and they were just observing.

Story 4:

This one I can't explain since generally I see them briefly and rarely again...and even rarer that someone else sees them...

I have a ghost cat that is haunting me currently....yes you read that correctly...a ghost cat...

After the basement apartment, I moved into another place with a roommate, bringing my current cat with me (he's still alive at this time). My cat is STRICTLY indoor since most places I've lived, is way to close to a busy street.

So I'd see shadows running around the house and first thought just my cat...and never thought anything of it...

in hindsight, it didn't happen till after the fire burned down a series of old abandoned houses across the street and behind us...

Well, one weekend I'm out of town and my roommate is cat-sitting for me. He'd left my bedroom door open so my cat could sleep in his usual places while I'm gone. to lay out this apartment....you walked in the front door immediately into the living room, just beyond that laid a galley style kitchen with the bathroom access immediately across from that, just beyond the kitchen/hallway were the doors to the 2 bedrooms, with my room being the most direct line from the hall into the living room.

The roommate was standing in the kitchen, in an otherwise empty apartment, and swears he sees my cat race out of my room into the kitchen (as he was apt to do cause...well...cats...), but when he looked into the living room the cat was nowhere in sight, and my cat was still curled up on the corner of my bed.

See it a few more times before I move a few months later into a house I bought...

And it has been more active since I moved here, at least a mile or more from the old apartment. I was sitting at my computer desk with the cat sleeping along the top of my chair, and I saw something run from under my desk into the bedroom (the next room over). Mom was staying the night because we were leaving VERY early the next morning for a vacation, and she sleeps in my office on my spare sleeper bed. I'd semi closed my bedroom door so my cat could enter and leave as she pleased, and as I was settling down for the night she asked if Mala (my cat) just walked into my room? I said no shes asleep here on the foot of my bed.

I could keep telling stories of this ghost cat, but I'd spend all night typing...but I've never known a ghost to follow me.
                    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
                      I could keep telling stories of this ghost cat, but I'd spend all night typing...but I've never known a ghost to follow me.
                      Proves that you're a good cat owner slave.
                      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Here's one I'd forgotten about. I was babysitting a cousin. I was sitting on the sofa, which faced the front door. Beside the door was a small table with a lamp on it, which was lit.

The wall behind the sofa separated the living room from the bathroom.

The bedrooms were upstairs.

I was reading a book.

All of a sudden (not at the stroke of midnight, that would've just too cheesy), three things happened: the light beside the front door went out, the toilet flushed, and a radio upstairs came on.

Me: *does an amazing example of somebody turned to stone*

It took a few minutes for me to decide to breathe again, and I tried to look at the situation with some logic. The light might've been on a timer. The radio might've been set for a wakeup call but somebody had accidentally set it at PM rather than AM.

The toilet? Well, I couldn't entirely explain that, but I'd never heard stories of ghosts showing up to use the loo. I thought a slow leak might explain it.

No, I didn't go over to check the lamp. If it wasn't on a timer, I didn't want to know. No, I definitely did NOT go upstairs to check the radio. Sorry, cuz, but if there's some kind of creepy up there ... you're on your own (great babysitter, aren't I ... )

Oh ... and the book I'd been reading? The Exorcist.

I very quickly swapped it out for a Ladies Home Journal.
                        Last edited by Pixelated; 10-25-2020, 02:28 AM.
                        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                          The toilet? Well, I couldn't entirely explain that, but I'd never heard stories of ghosts showing up to use the loo. I thought a slow leak might explain it.
                          If there is a slow leak in the toilet tank, after a certain amount has drained out it can make a sound while refilling. It can be startling if not expected.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            If there is a slow leak in the toilet tank, after a certain amount has drained out it can make a sound while refilling. It can be startling if not expected.
                            Under the above-mentioned circumstances, "startling" was a bit of an understatement.
                            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                            X