Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ugh, Transient Component Fatigue almost occurred today.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A company I worked for used TRS-80 model 100 for years. They finally retired them and bought some Dell OptiPlex 170L on closeout. I know the TRS-80s had a bad rep, but they ran for more than 20 years while the Dells started blowing motherboards in 3 years.

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
      A company I worked for used TRS-80 model 100 for years. They finally retired them and bought some Dell OptiPlex 170L on closeout. I know the TRS-80s had a bad rep, but they ran for more than 20 years while the Dells started blowing motherboards in 3 years.
      The Model 100 was actually made by Kyocera. Sturdy little buggers.
      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Coolest thing my High School computer club ever did was take a Commodore Superpet that had died, wire the keyboard to run the Atari 400 & make it compatible with an Apple disk drive. The Atariadore Mergabite 600 ran for a total of 1.5 minutes before the magic smoke escaped. 1986
        My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
          I do not believe I have ever had a PS/2 mouse work after a hotplug without a reboot. Keyboards? Sure.
          I used to work at a company that wrote drivers for pointing devices -- at the time (this was a quarter-century ago, dunno what they're up to now), if a PC mouse, trackball, tablet, or more exotic device wasn't Microshaft(*) brand, it probably ran our software. (We did the drivers for the first touchpads, too, and some of the early POS signature pads.)

Our drivers most certainly responded to a mouse/etc's "hello" call upon being plugged in or signal-reset. I remember there was one Honeywell model where their manufacturer had used the wrong capacitor, and we had to drastically change the timing limits, but we did get it working.

(*) This was also where I first picked up my outright hostility to M$, dealing with their dirty tricks to try and lock out any other manufacturer's hardware or software. They'd do stuff like scanning the mouse driver for their own copyright notice, or implementing and checking for undocumented responses from their hardware.

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
            seriously, why are those STILL used in a office environment?
            Some data security environments disable the USB ports.
            ludo ergo sum

Comment

Working...
            X