This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In which I make a mistake and unleashed hell

I try hard to avoid digging my own graves but I end up doing it anyway.

Half an hour before closing time and I get a call for a room for the night. Due to COVID restrictions, we need a staff member on all times for walk in bookings. The guy's just across the street from us so he'll come over.

10 minutes later, one guy walks in and asks for a twin room. Immediately, I'm alerted by many things. He looks really bogan-y (white trash) and he only had a digital license on his phone and a one use digital credit card as well. I'm really focusing on the card when he mumbles something. I ask again what he said and he mumbles again. I say 'okay...' and he gets his mate for a debit card.

As he walks back in, I notice he's being trailed by two dogs so I tell him we do not allow pets into the room. Then hell occurs.

Apparently the guy mumbled earlier if our rooms were pet friendly and I said yes. Naturally the guy and his (as bogan like) guy friend flipped out and proceeded to try and guilt trip me into giving them a room. I admitted my mistake, but I had to stand my ground on the policy. After a few minutes of back and forth and my knees about to give out, they left but not before the guy friend threatened to review bomb the place and start a crusade to have me fired.

I immediately called my supervisor to report what happened and she was on my side. I told them the guys might come back to throw a hissy and she would stand her ground on the policy as well. Although, there might be an issue with her broken English. I feel guilty for putting this on her plate.

I get the feeling that even if I did say no to the pets they would still cause a scene but it's done. Then again, these guys look like they literally came off the street and had nothing but the clothes on them. I hope nothing comes off from this but it's hard to tell when these people are being serious. Seriously, screw this area's night life.

Learn one lesson, do not answer mumbles with anything but "Speak a little louder, I did not hear you clearly.", repeat as often as needed until you get a clear answer/statement.

You are a hotel, not a hearing center.

Comment

I had a customer in the olden times who was always mumbling. Our intercom system was awful at the best of times, so when you spoke intentionally low and muffled it would get lost in the background noise. If someone spoke clearly enough, we could hear them from across the concourse, but if you were right next to the mike and facing slightly the wrong way, nada.

After three or four "I'm sorry sir, I can't make out what you're saying"s I got shouted at. "Oh, so you can speak clearly then? Thank you sir. Now, where was it you wanted to go again?" Took the wind right out his sails!
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Why do people always resort to "you inconvenienced me so I have to get you fired!" Why they always gotta try to ruin people's lives?
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
          Why do people always resort to "you inconvenienced me so I have to get you fired!" Why they always gotta try to ruin people's lives?
          If I had to make a guess, I think it's because they believe that they are engaging in a win-lose transaction with the service worker, where they have to feel "superior" to the worker else they somehow lose. When they get "inconvenienced" (usually, of course, through their own stupidity), they need to do something to recover and get back to the 'win' side of the transaction. The quickest way to do that, in their minds, is to threaten the service worker's livelihood.

TL;DR they're buttholes that need to be on the 'win' side no matter what.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
            Because the SC have learned that if they throw a big enough temper tantrum someone will cave somewhere and they’ll get what they wand and/or free stuff.

As someone who both works in service industry and has started a new business I have a policy that if someone yells at my employees, threatens them, is rude in the extreme, berates them, touches them in anyway, makes them cry then they are kicked out. Since I’m the owner when someone pulls the “I’m never shopping here again” or “you’ll regret it I’ll...” my answer is always the same. You treat people how you want to be treated and if you can’t be respectful of my staff then you aren’t the kind of customer I want.

People forget that every time you’re a customer you are advertising that store. The bag you got to carry your stuff in? Odds are it has the store logo. When someone asks you where you got it and looks at the tag to see x brand store? Guess what! There are numerous other ways. The last thing I want as a business owner that’s still in its baby stages is to gain a reputation for having snobby asshats who walk all over others. There’s certain things that one assumes if you’re wearing/using certain products... sometimes they are very true. Especially since my business already is expected to cater to people with money to burn. (Jokes on them, the fancy horse they’re buying costs a little more then it should (again paying for the ‘brand’ none of my horses have come in less then third place at time of sale) so that the difference can be used for funding camps and charity programs for people who would never otherwise have been able to afford the experience. After all, I only got into horses because of a camp one of my PE teachers paid for out of pocket for the class. 20yrs of riding some at the international level. I probably only made it through high school because of my riding. And now I have a business in horses. It’s amazing how someone’s path in life can change just because they were given a chance at something otherwise out of reach due to money)
            Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

"My mistake.. Of course you're allowed to have the two dogs, which in turn means that you'll be paying three times your price, non-refundable, non-disputable. Here's your receipt from the charge I just put on your card. Come on in!"

Comment

Quoth PoliteBoy View Post
                I ask again what he said and he mumbles again. I say 'okay...' and he gets his mate for a debit card.

Apparently the guy mumbled earlier if our rooms were pet friendly and I said yes.
                It seems like you said okay and not yes.

Are your rooms pet friendly?

Okay.

Doesn't really make sense, does it? As someone who is softly spoken, you can tell if someone understands me or not. He was using mumbling and miscommunication as a con, which is so annoying because in a lot of cases it ends up working. Oh, I forgot to add, he thought you said the rooms were pet friendly and then you didn't tell him of a deposit or any other policies? What hotel is just like "yes you can bring a pet." Without anything else? None that I know of...
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                X