Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slang and catch phrases -- what are yours?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slang and catch phrases -- what are yours?

So... What sort of catch phrases and slang words do you find peppering your everyday conversation? Here are most of mine.

"Good heavens!" -- said in a old-ladyish manner such that you can imagine a withered old matron with her hand to her deflated bosom after having seen something shocking on television.

"Oh dear!" -- see above

"My word..." -- see above

"How delightful!" -- also said in an old-ladyish manner, but used to denote sarcastic pleasure in something going fuck-all wrong.

"How extraordinary!" -- said in a faux British accent, used in much the same manner as "How delightful!"

"Meow!" -- usually said at the end of a yawn. When meowing, I usually attempt to emulate Gir from Invader Zim.

"Delicious!" -- gleaned from a Castlevania game where this was what the succubus said every time she latched on to your neck. Used to denote pleasure, sarcastic pleasure, and in many other ways.

"Dude, srsly!" -- pronounced "dude, surslee!" -- usually used when witnessing someone committing a traffic stupidity, such as the two cars that plowed through the crosswalk this morning while my boyfriend and I were out for a stroll.

"Teh ebuls" -- pronounced "teh e-bulls" -- used when sarcastically denoting displeasure, as in "We can't go to that restaurant because their sushi is teh ebuls. I puked for a week after that last time."

"What a strange bit of buggery!" -- used when witnessing an unusual occurrence.

"Hmm... queer." -- also used when witnessing an unusual occurrence.

"Because you fail at life." -- used when sarcastically slamming someone for a minor slight or mistake.

"I thought I smelled failure..." -- also used when sarcastically slamming someone for a minor slight or mistake.

"...of doom." -- used on just about everything because everything is better with doom, as in "Kittens... of doom;" "Fried, breaded shrimp... of doom;" and "First Congregational United Church of Christ... of doom."

"Everything is ruined forever!" -- used when witnessing something of minor or comical unpleasantness.

"Oh, God, I have to go wash now!" -- also use when witnessing something of minor or comical unpleasantness, especially if it happens to be of any perverseness.

"w00t/woot" -- used to express minor approval or pleasure.

"Meh." -- Used to express indifference.

"Oh noes!" -- used to express feigned disapproval or horror.

"Grunties" -- underwear, as in "Ah... a basket full of nice, clean grunties straight from the dryer!"

"Beast/Beastlet" -- Cats/kittens

"Fanged Beast" -- Cats

"Dogma" -- Dogs

In addition, I'm also fond of interjecting random snippets of the song "The Bulbous Bouffant" by The Vestibules into everyday conversation.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Noms- "Let's go get noms!" Or "I am going to nom upon you!"

Awesomesauce- "You rock like awesomesauce!" or "Awesomesauce over spiffy noodles!"

Rawr, and various other animal noises. Depending on tone the meaning can be everything from 'I love you" to "I'm hungry" to I am so bored please save me.

I say things like Nifty, and Indeed alot in everyday converstations as well

Comment

I'm kinda boring, so I only have a couple:

--a bazillion (a big number)
      --deers (plural deer); every other animal gets the correct plural word, but multiple deer are always deers
      --oi means oh, my
      --dude means wow
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I'm psychiatric now...
        While digesting Reader's Digest in the back of the dirty bookstore...
        Cold pizza for breakfast, warm Coke to wash it down...
        You're the dead corsage that's in my Figidaire...
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I also use awesomesauce!

Most of mine are on the vulgar side. "f**kmonkies" is one. "Douchenozzle" is another.

I refer to my trusty YakTrax as "tractionful".

"You just think you're all that and a side of fries, don't you?"
          ("Side of fries" can be replaced with "bag of chips", "chicken chimichanga", or whatever else I feel like subbing in there at a whim.)
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Four words:

That's what she said.

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

scrumptious
              oh my damn
              holy biscuit
              cocksmoker
              orgasmic

I'm sure there's more, but I've been horrifyingly sleep deprived lately, so...
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                I also use awesomesauce!

Most of mine are on the vulgar side.)
                YAY! Another awesomesauce person! I seriously did not know it was a thing until I found a shirt with the phrase on it at Dragon Con!

As far as vulgar one, I say douche canoe a lot.

Comment

Dude
                  Awesomeness
                  Indeed
                  Douchenozzle
                  Bitch
                  Wha? (my standard response of confusion... one of my coworkers purposely tries to get me to say this. lol)
                  What the fuck?
                  Fuck
                  Weird
                  Gah!
                  Ugh!
                  Lawls (lols)
                  Bitches (when trying, and failing, to sound ghetto)

I use emotes and emoticons like crazy.
                  I'll even emote out loud on occasion.
                  Like, in conversation with someone: 'Idk, shrugs.'

I call my boyfriend alternately: love/my love or mate/my mate

ETA: Dude is usually said in one of two ways: 1) Dude, as in addressing a person. Only someone I'm familiar with. 2) Duuuude, elongated u, to emphasis something.
                  Last edited by dragon_wings; 01-28-2012, 02:33 AM.
                  Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                  Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Ewwwwwww - used when I find something old in the back of the fridge
                    GAAAAAHHHHDDD!! - used most often at work in regard to the POS computer system
                    Razzaaay!!! - Just a silly way of saying "Razzie" which is my boycat's name
                    Schmiggie-Schmaggie-Schmoo - Our favorite way to referring to the girlcat, Maggie
                    Hello Bunny Wackets! - my way of greeting my sister's three rabbits
                    Where's the coffee fairy? - used at home all the time
                    I'm ever so pissed! - stolen from an episode of The Simpsons
                    Remember my innocence! - stolen from Benny Hill
                    Fuck this - muttered at work every time the computer crashes
                    Also a couple of rather vulgar phrases that pop out when I'm pissed. Won't repeat them here.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

"That. Was awesome." is probably the most self-explanatory one.

"Dude!!" used as an exclamation.

"That was *number* kinds of/all kinds of *adjective*." I've heard it used by other people before, so I know it's not just a 'me' thing, but it means 'That was extremely *adjective*'

"That ain't right/You people are not right."

"Aaaaaand food coma."

"Good night!" Again, an exclamation.

"For crap's sake!"

"Hee!", "Fweep/Fwee", "Squee!" = All generally mean the same thing, but with varying degrees- I have seen something cute or something that has otherwise made me happy

"Myar?", "Huhwhatnow?" = Confusion

brbnoms! = Frequently said in chat and on IM. Used to indicate that breakfast/lunch/dinner is ready

"Oh fer cryin'..."

"Uhm...really?"
                      Last edited by firecat88; 02-01-2012, 04:18 PM.
                      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Dude, really?!! - in disbelief or annoyed over somebody's stupidity

Aw shitballs! - dropping stuff, forgetting something or to do something

Fuck me running! - same as above

Hell Naw! - self explanatory

No way! - disbelief or emphatic answer for no

Meh - disinterest

Sweet!

Awesome!

Fuck Yeah!

w00t!

Duh!

Ugh
                        Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 01-28-2012, 04:36 AM.
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Bonerific = sexy

Dayyyyummmh (damn but spoken like a rapper) = to mock rappers and dumb white kids who try to act tough.

Shawty (shorty) = same as above, pretty much.

Hot dish = casserole. Apparently, Wisconsin is the only place where people say HOT DISH.

Supper club = a little fancier than a restaurant.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

tropicsgoddess reminded me of another:
                            Occasionally, when really pissed/frustration/tired I'll say 'fuck me sideways'
                            Usually followed by roomie saying something to the effect: wouldn't that be painful?
                            Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                            Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Brains= Said when ever my mind goes blank.
                              Snugs! = Hugs. Snugs for the dog, snugs for the human, snugs for the plane.
                              Puppy = anything remotely dog like. In one case a guy I know who once it reaches a certain temperature doesn't shave until it gets warm again.
                              Booger= my dog, it started as bug, then went to bugger, then went to booger. Her name is Lucy, I've no idea how I even got to this point.

I make up ways to describe aviation things, since I don't know what a lot of things are yet. "Hat thinger for the plane" for example, oddly enough most of the time pilots know what I'm talking about.
                              I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Working...
                              X