This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So now I'm a racist

Here in the land of we don't need more stinking sun, folks can apply for benefits online. This is great, they don't have to come to the office and sit around for hours waiting to see an EW. They can learn online at once if they might qualify. We never need to see them because it can all be done online or on the phone. How easy is that?

Last week, I worked an online application. A man with 2 children. In our office, we want to do our best to get everyone the benefits they qualify for, and I'm a sucker for kids.

(I rarely even notice names except if I have to look at documents to see if the names match.)

I had to deny the claim because the parent was well over income limits. I tried this and that, but still couldn't get his claim approved, so hit the deny button.

I felt bad, but moved on to the next case.

The parent filed a complaint that I only denied him because he was black. How I would know what color his skin was? Because he has a black name. WTF is a black name? How does he know what color I am? Why would he think I hate blacks?

My Sup says to not worry about it because this happens a lot, but I'm still upset. I'm so color blind that when I'm doing electronic fingerprints and the screen comes up with race question, I have to look back at my customer (which usually makes them laugh...you had to look to see what color my skin is?!?)

ARGH! If it wasn't for the bennies, I'd think about going back to retail. Wait, I'm still doing retail work but the disgruntled custies have more options to complain.

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
    This is great, they don't have to come to the office and sit around for hours waiting to see an EW.
    I assume that EW in this context doesn't have the same meaning as most of the times it's used on this board (Entitlement Whore). What does it mean here?

ARGH! If it wasn't for the bennies, I'd think about going back to retail.
    Again, I'm going to assume that "bennies" doesn't mean the same as it did back in the '70s (cf. the song "Night Rider"), namely benzadrine tablets.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Welcome to the club!

I "earned" this dubious title way back when I was doing tech support for Red Checkmark. I was trying to schedule a dispatch for a guy and he didn't like the time frame I gave him, saying "It's because I'm black isn't it." Well, no? It's just the first appointment date available. You want me to give you a later one maybe?
      Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Sorry for being so unclear. EW means Eligibility Worker, as in the person who works the case. Bennies are short hand for benefits given to government workers for putting up with all of the shit. My bennies include a steady schedule (except for overtime), vacation and holidays.

otakuneko I so understand. You looked through the phone and saw that he was black and instantly hated him, right?

Seriously folks, if you are going to play the race card, do it right. Come in to the office and speak to someone face to face. Bonus points if you are blaming someone with your same color for being racist.

Comment

I got denied because my gross income (BEFORE $400 in taxes per month) is too high. I'd qualify if they consider actual take-home pay, but Nope, We Don't Do That. Maybe I should try playing the race card? Oh wait, white. Can't do that. Damn.
          "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I had someone make a claim like this one time at the pizza joint -- over the phone. They were well out of our delivery area, and within another store's, which would have made delivering to them a contract breach due to how our franchise agreements worked. They promptly accused me of being racist, and hung up before I could give them the number to the store that DID go to their house, which was much, much closer to them anyway.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Race card declined....try another lame excuse.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I got called one for calling out a guy who parking in the firelane infront of the door of the store.

I looked back at him as I was in the doorway and said-
                Gee that's funny last time I checked ASSHOLE wasn't a race.
                (I got applause)
                AkaiKitsune
                Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  Again, I'm going to assume that "bennies" doesn't mean the same as it did back in the '70s (cf. the song "Night Rider"), namely benzadrine tablets.
                  Not in this case. In this usage, it's short for "Benjamins", which is slang for U.S. Currency on account of Benjamin Franklin being on the $100 bill.

With regards to the racism accusation, I get that at <red checkmark> too, which is hilarious because I can't see anyone through a phone line!

And I long ago learned NOT to make assumptions about people based on the sound of their voice. Through my life, I've talked to women who sound like men, men who sound like women, 20 somethings who sound like old geezers, 60 something old ladies who sound like college girls, white people who sound black, black people who sound white, the list goes on and on. If I can't see you, regardless of what you sound like, you could potentially be anything.

I did have one of my reps accused of racism awhile back. The name on the account wasn't something like Tayshaun or Tyrone that might have suggested a black guy, it was something innocuous like "Robert James". I told the guy straight up that we can't see anyone through a phone line so it's kind of hard to be racist. He didn't totally go along with that, but it was enough to placate him at least.
                  Last edited by CrazedClerkthe2nd; 09-15-2015, 05:07 PM.
                  "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I get it too because apparently, I can tell the race of someone who's car I tow..... and would've left it sit right where it was in the handicapped firefighter's lane had it been a white person's car.

Fun times! Fun times everywhere!
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

The parent filed a complaint that I only denied him because he was black. How I would know what color his skin was? Because he has a black name. WTF is a black name? How does he know what color I am? Why would he think I hate blacks?
                      Don't worry about it. Playing the 'race card' is something entitled idiots of all shapes/sizes/colours do.

And it's weird what people think you can see through the phone, I've had a chap who couldn't believe I couldn't tell him if his wall insulation was safe over the phone.
                      After all, _he_ was looking at it directly, so I should be able to psychically link with his brain and identify any asbestos in the wall telephonically...

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                        I got denied because my gross income (BEFORE $400 in taxes per month) is too high. I'd qualify if they consider actual take-home pay, but Nope, We Don't Do That. Maybe I should try playing the race card? Oh wait, white. Can't do that. Damn.
                        This really upsets me. Gross income doesn't equal take home pay. There is nothing I can do about it, but its why I try hard to find other expenses that might help the case get approved.

Today, one of my black co-workers got called a racist because she had to deny a Hispanic man's claim. (Tech tip here...if the application says that cash is for families with children and you don't have children...you probably won't get cash.)

We know that we should just let this sort of things roll off our backs, but that's hard to do.

Comment

Wow, that's one thing I've never been accused of. So my day is coming.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                            Wow, that's one thing I've never been accused of. So my day is coming.
                            Give the SC's time.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                            X