This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We won't break the law for you!

[BG: I work in a UK Supermarket that has its own mobile phone network. Today I was working in our Phoneshop End BG]

Customer comes into the shop and says that she was told that if she paid £amount she could upgrade her phone, could I tell her when she could upgrade it for free

Me: Sure, can I just get your phone no?

Cust: Number

Me: And is the account in your name?

Cust: No, it's in my mum's name

Me: Well, unfortunately, due to the Data Protection Act, to give you that information I would need to speak to your mother, as it is her account.

Cust: I only want to know when the contract finishes!

Me: Unfortunately, either your mother would have to come into the store to get that information, or she could ring Customer Care and after a couple of security checks, they could tell her

Cust: OK [Leaves]

5 mins later, Cust returns and asks for a manager. I get manager explain problem and he speaks to her. She then leaves.

30 mins later, I get a call from the Store Helpdesk. It seems the customer has gone home and asked her DAD to ring up to get this information. I explain to helpdesk that it is illegal for us to give the customer any specific info on her mothers account and her mother will need to either come in to a store, or ring Customer Care.

Why get your dad to ring up when I told you we need to speak to your MOTHER?

Mom, Dad, what's the difference?

It's too bad that some people don't think.
    This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
      Mom, Dad, what's the difference?

It's too bad that some people don't think.
      And also think that a manager will break the law for them

Comment

They think that a manager will break the law because they've seen managers give in to whiners and not back up their employees. Store rule, law, what's the difference?

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
          They think that a manager will break the law because they've seen managers give in to whiners and not back up their employees. Store rule, law, what's the difference?
          Major point, if the manager had said to give her the info, there ws only 1 person in the store legally allowed to look at her account, guess who

Comment

Because Mom is deceased and they want to find out how long they can use the phone?
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Or Mom had already told her ass no and she decided to play Dad against Mom. That's not an uncommon tactic. Especially if the parents are divorced.
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                Or Mom had already told her ass no and she decided to play Dad against Mom. That's not an uncommon tactic. Especially if the parents are divorced.
                Indeed. There are good reasons these laws exist. I mean, my step-dad is Not Good about technical issues (I refuse to talk to him about computers, period) so my mom is also listed on as many accounts as possible. That way no one has to deal with my step-dad over the phone, as he has a tendency to go complete SC. I think that a story on here someday will be about him. However, if for some reason he needs to be the one to authorize something, we deal with it. We don't argue about it, we just get him on the phone for as briefly as possible.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                  ... we just get him on the phone for as briefly as possible.
                  ... after fitting him into the shock collar ...
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth SimonF12009 View Post
                    because it wasn't really her father, but her boyfriend pretending to be her father; which is more impressive than her calling herself and pretending to be her mother

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      ... after fitting him into the shock collar ...
                      That would be amazing, like that episode of Cheers with Cliff getting the shocks. But I don't live near my parents anymore, so I don't have to deal with him very much. He's a classic older guy who has worked for himself nearly his whole life, and has no clue what it's like to be employed by a large company. He doesn't know what it's like to have many corporate rules and managers/bosses watching you all the time. So I can see where his attitude comes from, but it doesn't make it okay. It's not like he's stupid, he just doesn't even try to understand, and would prefer to jump to the conclusion that the other person is stupid.

He's a freaking nightmare for phone support.
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                        I had a cousin who was a master at this trick
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                        X