Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to have a backup phone, but with AMPS gone it doesn't work anymore.

Comment

Having been working in the transport business for a few years now, where we've moved things for the oil industry... i found out which kind of people actually can lose money if the phoneline dies.

If my boss' phone provider died, he would have backup in the landline... but he used the same company for both for a while... so both went down, a ship was waiting for goods, and the goods were late, and he had to arrange for express pickup... the ship staying at dock costs about a million norwegian kroner a day (only about a 130K USD :P )
      So it CAN cost a lot of money... but usually they have redundancies, my boss had to fix his to not be the same provider. :P
      Rawr

Comment

The provider I have my phone with will give loaner phones if you have to send your phone in for service. You put down a deposit - $75 for non-smart phone or $150 for a smart phone, swap your SIM card and transfer your stuff to that phone and you're good to go for a few days while your phone is being repairs. You get the deposit back when you return the loaner and pick up your phone. And that is even for pay-as-you-go folks like me. And thankfully if I ever do need to switch to a regular plan I can keep my number, but nobody really calls me so what I have works. And no, I don't have a cheapy pay-as-you-go phone anymore...I forked over the bucks recently to outright buy a decent phone - my kid now has the cheap phone as we don't have a landline and we don't work at the same place anymore.

Comment

Working...
        X