X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I should be punished for how I feel

UPDATE AT BOTTOM OF POST

It was 10 minutes before I left when a guy who works in the mall came to the cafe. He asked how it was going and I said, "It's OK." Now, he's been in before and he always gives me a funny look when I answer that question, whatever my answer. I suppose he was expecting something different than what I said because he challenged me with, "Just ok?"

<record scratch> You all KNOW how I feel about that. If you do that to me you are either calling me a liar or telling me how I feel isn't good enough.

I decided not to even get into this with him at all, so I simply answered "Yes," which was a perfectly valid response to the second query.
    He countered with another "Just ok?" to which I replied "What can I get for you?" because I was not getting into this argument. At the third "Just ok?" I lost it. With a definite angry edge to my voice I responded, "YES, just ok" wherein he immediately wanted a manager.
    While she was on her way he told me I should "be punished for being in a bad mood." I said "I should be punished for how I feel?" and he answered affirmatively. I said "OK..."

When Manager Lady came over all kinds of things I'd supposedly said came out of his mouth, which I challenged. ML tried to kind of smooth things over and said she'd take care of it and she could get his order for him.

When she took me in the back room she listened to my side thoroughly, said he was the one who was argumentative and would've kept arguing with her if she hadn't cut him off. I told her his behavior was sexist and why, and that I don't appreciate someone arguing with my honest answer to a question, and that it's happened with other people. She determined that what I'd said (repeating "What can I get for you?") was the professional thing to do and if it happens again, don't even let him get that far before calling a supervisor over. I told her I feel like I have to plaster a fake smile on my face for him so I don't get in trouble and she said "You are not in trouble. You do not have to do that." She agrees that no one should tell us how to feel, and that if I'm ok or fine, that's how it is.

I love my managers, but I dread having to deal with this guy again. I'm going to make sure I have a radio every time I work in cafe from now on. I think "Hi, would you like a manager?" should be my immediate greeting.

UPDATE: It's 4 days later and this 45+ guy is STILL on this. Now, I had no idea where he worked, just that it was in the mall. I was coming back from lunch tonight, in a hurry to get back, so I didn't see him at his phone kiosk. I did, however, hear "THERE GOES THE 'SASSY MOUTH'!" I guess he was pointing me out to his coworkers or whatever. I did not even acknowledge that I noticed at all, didn't even skip a step. As soon as I got back I found Security Guy and told him immediately. He said, "I'll talk to him" and "you're good" and when Security Girl walked up (knowing I had an issue and wanting to help), he said to her "Wanna go give him a word?" She readily agreed, saying, "Hey, I'm in plainclothes." I suspect I'll hear flack about "telling on him," but you know what? Don't harass me, then. And now I know where he works.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 09-20-2015, 01:12 AM. Reason: update
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

At my work we've been told that if we can't at least project (read: fake) a positive attitude, we should either go take an extra break, or go home. This hasn't been enforced to my knowledge, but I have gone to the back multiple times to take a breath. Or to actively avoid a SC who I know is evil. There used to be a super horrible SC and I would do about what you said except I wouldn't ask. She'd come up and I'd say "I'll call a manager for you."

That being said, I don't know if in that situation I'd have gotten in trouble. You were professional and he was a nosy McPushy face. I think possibly Newer Manager would have sided with him, as she is so peppy all the time. I mean, I think saying that I'm okay is fine, but she wants to hear me say "I'm great!" The other managers would definitely have told him off, though.

Also, your area has some of the most controlling people! By that, I mean they try to control your mood... This doesn't happen very much here. Maybe they comment on how tired I look (gee, thanks), but that's only the older crowd. I haven't even had anyone tell me I should smile in a really long time. And I know I haven't started smiling more, or gotten less tired. So maybe people have gotten a clue? Naw...
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Yeah, in my state they are nosy and controlling. It is beyond ridiculous. I wish I'd said "What answer were you looking for?" or had just kept saying "yes" and nothing else. I am so mad at myself for backing down and calling the manager, actually. I should've gone over to her and explained first. I guess no matter; she was on my side. I just dread dealing with him again.
      Last edited by Food Lady; 09-16-2015, 02:30 AM.

Comment

I don't see that as backing down. You were getting someone with the authority to tell him to go fuck himself if that was what was needed. You can't get in trouble for offering to get whatever he wants (in food, anyway; apparently he also wants to control your personality) and you shouldn't get in trouble for getting the manager.

I cannot STAND people like this. It's a form of passive-aggressiveness and it's control-freak stuff. And it's totally unnecessary. All you owe him is to serve him at the counter in a polite and efficient manner. He has no right to ask for anything else. Frankly, I would say he was harassing you.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

As he also presumably works as a retail peon, maybe it's worth contacting HIS manager?
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I have been known, when asked 'How are you?' to reply with 'Do you want the truth, or a lie?'

Responses do vary, but those who ask for the truth at least can't complain when they get it.
            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I'd have been tempted to ask the customer "Is your name Prozac, sir? No? Then you don't get to control my mood."
              -
              Sorely tempted.

Comment

And really, how is punishing you for your mood supposed to help? I don't know about you, but getting reprimanded or written up does nothing to put me in a more cheerful frame of mind.
                Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

I would not dread that guy now that you know they have your back.
                  AkaiKitsune
                  Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

"How are you" is a conversational pleasantry, and it has the same meaning as "good morning." Nobody (or at least very few) people get all uppity about standard greetings, but for some reason, "how are you" is taken literally.
                    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                      As he also presumably works as a retail peon, maybe it's worth contacting HIS manager?

This. Please, this. Better if you and your manager go together.

Even better if you go together to tell them he's banned.

(My employer has banned people from our services for being abusive to employees. There's no doubt this was abuse. He was actively looking to dominate you and/or have you punished.)

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                        "How are you" is a conversational pleasantry, and it has the same meaning as "good morning." Nobody (or at least very few) people get all uppity about standard greetings, but for some reason, "how are you" is taken literally.
                        And the "de-facto" response is usually "Fine", or "I'm good".

Quoth wordgirl View Post
                        My employer has banned people from our services for being abusive to employees.
                        This is freaking AWESOME!
                        Last edited by EricKei; 09-20-2015, 03:41 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
                        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth Teysa View Post
                          And really, how is punishing you for your mood supposed to help? I don't know about you, but getting reprimanded or written up does nothing to put me in a more cheerful frame of mind.
                          The beatings will continue until morale improves.
                          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

...he told me I should "be punished for being in a bad mood."
                            But you weren't in a bad mood, even. You just weren't in a good mood. What a jerk.
                            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                            -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                              But you weren't in a bad mood, even. You just weren't in a good mood. What a jerk.
                              I was just ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X