This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
    That show is crazy with computers. I think at one point a virus infected a computer and then instantly blew it up, like with sparks and everything... Also a virus escaped through a power cord and infected everything in the building, including land line phones. People just stood around looking at their computers and randomly hitting keys which resulted in loud beeps.

I'm way more paranoid, or at least I don't get as irritated with conspiracy theorists as a lot of folks here. I also don't deal with it daily. Yet! Started back at school in server admin, Powershell, and Apache classes. So my day is coming, and I am a little afraid.
    the scary part? I CAN actually see how PART of that could actually happen. It IS possible to run a network over power lines, you just need the right equipment ( which isn't expensive- it's comparable to the cost of a wifi dongle) which could allow the virus to infect the PCs.

and Argabarga, there is an even simpler way fo stopping a hack in progress. if you have Wifi, turn the wifi off, and the hacker should be immediately kicked out of your computer. if you have a wired network, unplug your pc from the network.

Comment

Speaking of coax cables... I learned yesterday that the cable company installed the wrong kind of coax cable in my house. They installed a kind, called "flooded" cable, that is meant to be installed underground and not wick water into your house if the sheath develops a crack.

It accomplishes this by filling the cable with some sort of goo that is about as sticky as dried syrup, but cannot be removed with water, and it expands when heated over 80 degrees (like my attic.) So my guest bedroom has this sticky goo dribbling down the wall and baseboard.

Joy.

Comment

Working...
      X