Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

~I've got a lovely bunch of students, diddly dee, there they are a standing in a row~

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~I've got a lovely bunch of students, diddly dee, there they are a standing in a row~

Lazy ones, dumb ones, some as dense as a rock...

----

So, school started, working, and yeah, here's some stuff.

What, I'm tired, and got a Mid-term tomorrow, leave me alone. XD

Little to no editing yet, will fix as seen.

The Student who waited:

So, student walks up, and this is the conversation.

Me: Hey, need some help?
    Student: Yeah, I need help.
    Me: (Slight Pause) Okay, with what?
    Student: I need to register.
    Me: Okay, for college, or sign up for classes?
    Student: College.
    Me: Okay, so, we have a Paper application, and an Online application, which would you prefer?
    Student: I already applied.
    Me: (Of course, so glad you could remember) Ah, so you want to sign up for classes?
    Student: Yeah, but I never got my student ID number.
    Me: Okay, we can look it up over here.
    (Shows him how, everything goes okay)
    Me: Okay, so, I’ll show you how to search for classes, but as a heads up, any class that’s already started will require a permission number to join it, you get those from the professors, and from the professors only.
    Student: Ah man, that sucks. Wish the school had sent me my student ID number sooner.
    Me: When did you apply?
    Student: Back before I graduated.
    Me: (...) Last May?
    Student: Yeah, if they’d gotten that to me, I coulda signed up. Had to come in myself, take care of it myself. (Shakes head disapprovingly)

You waited for 4 months for the school to send you, by email, you ID number.

Something that should only have taken a day.

You waited 4 months.

Wow.

You’re either amazingly Patient, or a ridiculous Procrastinator.

It’s starts with a “P”, and it’s one of those two.

Well, let’s see where the next story leads us, come along Pond.

I have put far too many ranks in Diplomacy:

Brief overview of the SC I mentioned briefly last post.

I’m a Diplomancer, it’s what I do, I’m really good at being Friendly, and most SC’s end up thinking I’m their best Bud by the time we’re done.

I hate interacting with them, but any Difficult Student, I usually make sure I take care of, in a professional setting, I make an excellent social tank.

Well, I took the day that we put my poor Beagle down off. And, of course, that’s when one of those students comes in.

She always spend the whole time trying to badger her children (Hence, why I call her the Broodmother, mentally of course), trying to criticize them, belittle them, act like they’re generally incapable. the Daughter ignores her, and the Son just gives back as good as he gets, though thankfully quieter. It never goes beyond that, because I help process those kids as fast as possible, and every time she starts laying into them, I’m really good at disarming her.

Well, my coworker isn’t. In fact, he’s only helped them once, and it wasn’t pleasant for anyone.

It ended with the Mother having Campus Security/Police called on her, for screaming at her kids, and my coworker (Apparently, amongst all of it was a demand for me to help them, not likely, was cuddling my dying beagle you f%$king ego-centric b^%$# on the other side of the city). My coworker was significantly verbally abused (You can’t help us, you can’t speak english (ESL student worker, yeah, not sure of the wisdom myself for the position, but he’s a nice guy and he tries hard), you’re incompetent, etc.) , but, they calmed down enough as the Security/Police got there that they were simply removed from campus for that day. I’ve seen them around since, but, they’ve ignored us.

I felt pretty bad, effectively set my coworker up for this. Always took the problem students, as I was training him (That day was also his first solo day), and I didn’t want him to have to deal with them yet.

Heard about this later that day, friend was there, filling out a financial aid application while we were saying goodby to another friend.

I won’t mention it again, but god, I miss that beagle. Went through so much with her.

Is that things about repetition and insanity true? Cause… yeah…:

I can’t type this student's words, I… just can’t. No script for this one.

So, student signs up for classes. Student waits two days, and gets a cashier's check from bank. Student shows up. Student is directed to correct line by a certain someone, and, upon being questioned and their purpose analyzed, student is informed of the same policy they should have read/heard at least twice. That, since the semester has started, and they didn’t pay within 24 hours of signing up for classes, that student was dropped. Student ignores it, as they were in their classes last they checked, until they get to the front of the line, and discover that, since the semester has started, and they didn’t pay within 24 hours of signing up for classes, that student was dropped from their classes.

Student immediately raises voice, complaining that this college always gives them problems, that this college doesn’t care, and this happens every time.

The smart amongst you are likely rolling your eyes.

I wish I could have.

But no, I needed to peel her ire off the poor Clerk, and take it myself, and I can’t do that if I’m honest about my opinions on someone.

So, it takes a fair amount of time to reassure the student they can get their classes back. I’m unsure how many times I had to say, “Just get new permission numbers, we’ll re-add you, and then you can pay and be done”, and how many times she griped about how bad this college was, how we don’t help, how we always do this to her, etc.

And of course, same song and dance when she comes back, re-adds the classes, and pays.

As well as a few days later when she wants to add new classes, and pay for those.

The kicker: She’s unsure which of those classes she will actually take all the way through the semester. She’s intentionally overloading herself, so she can pick and choose what she wants after the fact.

Oh, and as always, she think’s I’m her greatest buddy and helper.

Someone please drop that Bass, I’ll pay good money:

Have had students in the cafeteria (Connected to my lobby area) bring in 1 foot by 2 foot speakers/bass, and play music surprisingly loud.

Of course, when approached about it, people are “Narks” for complaining, and the school is “racist” for the policy enforcement.

Nevermind that the Police (And the college president) involved were of the same ethnicity, nope, Racism all the way up in here, totally.

Now, if we could just get rid of that stupid frikking piano…

Well… that’s a new way to game the system.:

Couple comes in, had all their ID’s stolen, needs it for a cruise. So, they apply to the college, enroll in classes, pay for classes, and badger the campus into issuing a Student ID (Considered legal photo ID, and always requires other Photo ID to get) without existing Photo ID, all so they could still go on their cruise, as everything would be too slow and they’d have to cancel.

Bonus points: They even dropped the classes afterwards and, I beleive, applied for a refund.

What the everliving f%^$.

Quickkies:

“Why is the line so long, and WHYYYYY don’t you have more than one window open?”
    “Likely on Lunch, or break, will be back shortly.”
    “They should have made better plans, and made sure there was enough people here! Everyone knows that the first week of school is the busiest!”

The why the FUCK are YOU here? Physician! Heal thyself!

“I need these classes, and they’re all full, show me open ones!”
    “There aren’t any.”
    “But I need them!”

Well, then you really needed to get your ass into that class earlier huh, say, nearly 4 MONTHS ago?! But no, I’m sure 2 weeks LATE will be fine.

“My Financial Aid won’t process for a few more days, will I be dropped from my classes?”
    “When did you apply?”
    “Today.”
    “When did you enroll in your classes?”
    “Yesterday.”
    “...yes, you’ll be dropped.”
    “That’s not fair, my financial Aid won’t be processed yet!”

No shit. Perhaps PLANNING might be a good idea?

----

Sorry for brevity, and lack of entertainment. Will have some better ones next time.

I’m just… done, wiped out already. The little dancing monkey needs new batteries, until then… I’m just done.

Didn’t even post the worst, can’t remember the worst, I’m good at forgetting the worst, never remember the worst. Makes everything brighter.
    Last edited by Tee; 09-23-2015, 12:59 AM. Reason: thbbbbbttttttttttttt
    I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
    In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Didn’t even post the worst, can’t remember the worst, I’m good at forgetting the worst, never remember the worst. Makes everything brighter.
    I'm good at forgetting them in general (that's why I post so few threads...). I suppose that's part of why I'm still able to work in a support role. The other part being the horror stories my colleagues tell from their enterprise days... Pro Tip to IT folk: JD Nickel sucks.
    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Sorry about your dog. It hurts to lose a beloved furry friend.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Frankly, the one who didn't pay within 24 hours...I'd have lost it with her. "Next time try following instructions! It's your own fault!" But I suppose she'd go crying to mumsy and daddy, and they'd call the school and bitch about the mean person who didn't hold their widdle baby's hand and overlook her stupidity.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          Frankly, the one who didn't pay within 24 hours...I'd have lost it with her. "Next time try following instructions! It's your own fault!" But I suppose she'd go crying to mumsy and daddy, and they'd call the school and bitch about the mean person who didn't hold their widdle baby's hand and overlook her stupidity.
          No idea, but, eh. She was actually older, 50's or so.

Got dozens, maybe hundreds of people like this, she was the worst though. By far.

Quoth XCashier View Post
          Sorry about your dog. It hurts to lose a beloved furry friend.
          Thank you.

It was real strange when I first came back to this forum, and saw my title, "i has a beagle". Felt weird, couldn't decide what to do with it for a while.

Ill never forget her, or my first dog, it's the least I owe them.

They give so much.

Quoth otakuneko View Post
          I'm good at forgetting them in general (that's why I post so few threads...). I suppose that's part of why I'm still able to work in a support role. The other part being the horror stories my colleagues tell from their enterprise days... Pro Tip to IT folk: JD Nickel sucks.
          Yeah, it can just all catch up to you some days.

Here's to continuing to forget the worst of the bad. XD
          Last edited by Tee; 09-23-2015, 04:22 AM. Reason: Mergin stuffs
          In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

The cruising couple using your school as a fast way of obtaining Photo ID may have had a rude surprise at check-in. I just checked Carnival's website as an example, and they only allow School ID's to suffice for those 16/17/18. Normal adults have to have a driver's license, military ID, etc.

Comment

My mom always expected me to deal with college myself... She did not attend, and neither did my dad or step-dad. So they would have been on the same level as myself, which was pretty clueless. I managed to muddle through the process, though at the very start I messed up because of financial aid. It didn't come through in time, so guess what I did? I started school the next quarter. I didn't get mad at anyone or try to blame it on someone else. There are many ways (here at least) to get help with college, if you even bother to look. I didn't, which was why my first quarter had to be pushed back.

Oh, I wanted to ask, the person who was whining about her financial aid... Did she mean she just applied for financial aid a few days ago? Or that she just applied to the school? 'Cause it took over a month for me for FA to come through.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                Oh, I wanted to ask, the person who was whining about her financial aid... Did she mean she just applied for financial aid a few days ago? Or that she just applied to the school? 'Cause it took over a month for me for FA to come through.
                She signed up for classes the day before (meaning she'd possibly already been dropped due to the 24 hour rule), and filled out the FA application for the specialized state FA online just a few minutes prior.

The type she filed for is really fast, usually a response within 2-3 days, and if you qualify at that time, it instantly applies to your account, covering your tuition fee completely. For a community college student, it's amazing. From what I hear, much less so for a State University student.

2-3 days is insanely fast, but it can't beat a 24 hour timer that's either already run out, or is about too.

From start to finish, with a degree of awareness, you can go from not being a student (as a first timer), to having classes with tuition covered by this FA in 3-4 days. If you're a returning student back from being gone for a term, 2-3 days.

Naturally most students turn it into a weeks to months long process.

Comment

Wow, my state must not have anything like that. For my school, which is a technical school, you pretty much have to both apply for to the school and also your program. There are gen eds, of course, but I was able to transfer all but one of mine from the CC that I attended years before. So that was what messed me up, because I wasn't sure what program I wanted to go into, and thought that I couldn't do anything until I knew that. I could have applied for FA and to the school much earlier than I did.

My school started just a couple days ago. I'm not sure if it's because my classes are at different times than last year or what because it seems way more crowded than before. Some things I've seen:

-Many, many people texting while going up/down stairs, going sooooo slow. Bonus points to the girls wearing scary high heels.

-Omg, I was thinking about Arga because of how many parking tickets I saw! Yellow line means no parking, also it shouldn't need to be said that blocking a private residence's driveway is not allowed, either.

-Groups of really young looking kids walking in giant rows down the hallway. This is not high school, nobody will move for your super cool clique.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

My state is very "Progressive", in this case it worked out very nicely in terms of efficiency (Something rare around here), but, not so well for security. I've posted elsewhere that they've finally now just started to add academic qualifications to it, before you could have amazingly bad grades and never accomplish anything and usually be fine as far as it was concerned.

We have very few programs that you apply for (Most, you just follow the steps to completion, no applications, just do the work), but the few we have always confuse people. The can't seem to understand why they can't take the classes they want, and why they can't turn an application in whenever they want after the cut-off date. Thankfully very little entitlement, more just a massive brick wall of ignorance.

And the "education" of how to go about doing these things is sadly lacking. I get asked questions daily that boggle my mind, questions every College student should already know, most High Schoolers should already know. I don't typically post these because they're not stupid questions, they're good ones, but they reveal that students are really NOT being prepared for even just a Community College.

And more importantly, they aren't being encouraged to find this information on their own.

Critical and logical thinking are the most important skills you can learn, and I have met alarmingly few with that.

Of course, I AM the Info desk student worker, so, if they know what they're doing, they don't likely need me. XD

I'm not sure how many parking tickets were given during our first week, but from what I saw, it was a fair number. Lots of mad students, the bi-annual "Parking Grace Week" rumor made its way around, and had a sizable harvest.
                    Last edited by Tee; 09-24-2015, 06:40 PM. Reason: spelling, editing, formatting, grammar...thbbbtttttttttt

Comment

-Omg, I was thinking about Arga because of how many parking tickets I saw! Yellow line means no parking, also it shouldn't need to be said that blocking a private residence's driveway is not allowed, either.
                      If the private residence is home to a beat-up F350 with a "brush bar" on the front, a ticket is the least of the student's worries.

-Groups of really young looking kids walking in giant rows down the hallway. This is not high school, nobody will move for your super cool clique.
                      Where's a member of the football team when you need one? Someone who's also being blocked by the mob of dawdlers, and wants to get in some tackling practice.

Quoth Tee View Post
                      And the "education" of how to go about doing these things is sadly lacking. I get asked questions daily that boggle my mind,

And more importantly, they aren't being encouraged to find this information on their own.

Critical and logical thinking are the most important skills you can learn, and I have met alarmingly few with that.
                      When I was in college for my second career (machine shop), I spent a semester as a TA for a class of mechanical engineering technology students (mostly as a tool crib attendant). The number of times someone would come to the crib with a list of tools including "tap" (their project had ONE threaded hole, so I knew what tap they needed, a 1/2-20). I'd hand those students a 1/4-20 tap (harmless - it would drop straight through the hole), since they hadn't specified WHICH tap they needed. If they asked for a 1/2" tap, I'd show them both the 1/2-13 and 1/2-20 and ask which they wanted - pointing out that the wrong one would ruin their project. The instructor never called me on it - I'm guessing that he agreed with my assumption that part of what they were supposed to learn was how to specify what they needed.

What gets to me is how they ignored advice. They were making a C-clamp, where a slight misalignment on the threaded hole would result in a large misalignment where the pad met the fixed jaw. For one group, as I handed them the best tap handle in the crib (had a "pilot" on the top), I explained to them how if they brought the drill press jaws to barely touching the "pilot", it would help guide the tap straight, so the way to go would be to drill the hole, remove the bit, tap the hole, and then do the same with the next guy's clamp. They wound up doing it assembly-line style, drilling all the holes and then tapping them - losing the benefit of the "self-aligning" tap wrench.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                        When I was in college for my second career (machine shop), I spent a semester as a TA for a class of mechanical engineering technology students (mostly as a tool crib attendant).
                        I work in a machine shop right now. So I understand your pain.

I never went to school for it though (company believes in in-house training), I have been thinking about getting additional education. What degree program would you suggest?
                        I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

It's not a degree program. This was the equivalent of all the academic terms of an apprenticeship program taken all at once, rather than some every few months. Been out of the industry for a while - what sort of area do you want to advance into?
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                          X