This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At least I tried

My brother was dropping me off after hanging out at another brother's house. On the way we stop at Walgreen's to pick up some cough medicine to hopefully alleviate this cough that's been bugging me for a week.

In front of the store was a guy asking for money for a bus. I told him I don't have cash, but I do have some bus passes that I offered him. He declined. On the plus side, at least he didn't cuss me out like what I've seen happen to people on this site who have offered food to someone asking for money to buy food.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Well that's because he isn't going to use it for the bus, and people that yell about being given food aren't truely asking money for food. They want drugs.

But you tried. More then I normally do.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

I had an incident in which a guy ran up to me. He immediately showed me a large scab on his arm (ewww) and claimed he had just been assaulted by a gang of youths. I'm no doctor, but the cuts I was being shown were not new. He wanted money so he could go to the nearest payphone and call the police for help. There were two problems

1) We were on the same street as the police station

2) It does not cost money to call the police from a payphone

He stormed off into the nearest pub.

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
        I had an incident in which a guy ran up to me. He immediately showed me a large scab on his arm (ewww) and claimed he had just been assaulted by a gang of youths. I'm no doctor, but the cuts I was being shown were not new. He wanted money so he could go to the nearest payphone and call the police for help. There were two problems

1) We were on the same street as the police station

2) It does not cost money to call the police from a payphone

Wow, not even a good try. Wonder if anybody else fell for it.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
          Someone must have if he can afford some drinks.
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post

Unfortunatly...some people do fall for it. And it encourages them to keep scamming people over and over again.

Comment

We have a guy in town who's sign reads "Why lie? Want a beer." Hey, I can respect that.

Saw one kid once with a sign asking for a cheeseburger by the local Golden Arches. I actually went through the drive-thru to get him a cheeseburger. He seemed totally stoked that someone actually got him a burger, and he happily wandered off munching his food.
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

i've seen those signs too, bhskitty; at least they're honest in their advertising.

there used to be a group of kids that would beg people for sushi money (in the restaurant), but considering they were clean and (reasonably) well dressed with clothes that aren't cheap, most people declined.
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Last week, I can't remember what day but it was before Friday, I was driving home from work and I was turning from one of the main drags onto the side street, and there was a man in the median with a large cardboard sign that said "Disabled Veteran Needs Bus Fare!"

Disabled? You're standing in the middle of a concrete median. You have all your arms and legs. You're covered head to toe in decently warm clothing. You even have a cigarette in your free hand.

No bus fare for you. I hope no one stopped. I was a little worried, because that intersection, the light to turn left takes forever to turn green, and if he would have came up to my window, there would have been a bad scene.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                    Last week, I can't remember what day but it was before Friday, I was driving home from work and I was turning from one of the main drags onto the side street, and there was a man in the median with a large cardboard sign that said "Disabled Veteran Needs Bus Fare!"

Disabled? You're standing in the middle of a concrete median. You have all your arms and legs. You're covered head to toe in decently warm clothing. You even have a cigarette in your free hand.

No bus fare for you. I hope no one stopped. I was a little worried, because that intersection, the light to turn left takes forever to turn green, and if he would have came up to my window, there would have been a bad scene.
                    You probably would have made his sign more accurate though the "veteran" part would still be questionable.

Comment

Actually, things like posttraumatic stress disorder and the like are disabilities, and just from a glance, you'd never be able to tell.

However, that being said, why wouldn't he be at the bus station/stop if he honestly needed the money for a fare?

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

When I see people begging on the corner, I give them actual food. Glad to help out, but won't give money. Some seem genuinely grateful; others? Not so much.
                        Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Andara, that makes too much sense, doesn't it?

The bus terminals are downtown, about 3-3 1/2 miles away from where I live.

That also struck me as odd.

Granted, last summer in the Dells, we were eating outside at IHOP and a guy interrupted our meal by leaning over the fence and trying to beg my bf's parents for bus fare out of the Dells, playing the disabled veteran card as well.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                          X