X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't cross the line, or me.

My charming customers,

Being as this is a small more formal restaurant, you are usually rather polite and warm. I appreciate this. But because I serve you every other Saturday night does not make us buddies. I serve plenty of people in my shift. You are not an unique snowflake. Hell, an unique snowflake would tip me more than 15%. You do not get to grab my arm, you don't hug me, don't offer suggestions on my appearance. When I have been off of work for almost 15 minutes and am lighting up a desperately needed smoke at the bus stop 200 ft from the restaurant, do not lecture me. I am 23, I am aware of the health hazards, I am about to kick you in the throat. Queen, please.
    This is the line. You cross it, I will punt you back across it.

Respect is a two-way street,
    Lauren

P.S. Just because I am the only white person working at a Chinese restaurant does not mean that I will agree and/or sympathize about those "stupid Chink waiters". When you take my thick Southern accent into account, their English is probably better and more comprehensible than mine. Also, they're so nice and sweet, it makes me want to hug them until they pop. Suck it, grizzly, take it elsewhere.
    "I don't have to take this abuse from you, I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me."
    "Free at last from my vegetable prison!"
    X-Strike Studios: Video game movies done RIGHT!

Wow, they fail on so many points.

They're condescending, bigotted, personal space invading, minimal tippers.

We all hate them.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I don't understand their problem with their so-called "stupid Chink waiters". I mean, didn't they choose to go to a Chinese resteraunt? And frankly, I didn't think a Chinese resteraunt would be taken very seriously as one unless actual Chinese (or Chinese American or whatnot) ran the resteraunt. I mean, if they're going to be bigoted, at least try to make it make some sense.

Comment

Quoth unclejampuff
        Also, they're so nice and sweet, it makes me want to hug them until they pop.
        I'm not sure why, but I thought you wrote poop when I first read this. I had a good chuckle at myself.

I hope that these are only a tiny percentage of the people you have to deal with.
        "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

Quoth unclejampuff View Post
          When you take my thick Southern accent
          ....chilipepper, what the FLYING FIG are you doin' waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up there? Get your fanny back down here before the yankees kill your accent.

Has anyone tried to bug you about a "Tennessee Twang" or do you have an Atlanta dialect?
          Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth unclejampuff View Post
            P.S. Just because I am the only white person working at a Chinese restaurant does not mean that I will agree and/or sympathize about those "stupid Chink waiters". When you take my thick Southern accent into account, their English is probably better and more comprehensible than mine. Also, they're so nice and sweet, it makes me want to hug them until they pop. Suck it, grizzly, take it elsewhere.
            Oh my dog, you're me! I was the only white person working in a Chinese restaurant in my hometown! Does the cooks hit on you too and bother you about your significant other?
            I quit the job after two months because they gave me my own room in their house thinking I would move in with them and marry the cook! At that point, I really missed my (then) boyfriend and wanted someone to beat up the cook.
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I don't trust Chinese restaurants that AREN'T staffed by nearly exclusively Chinese ... they're almost never good. And often go so far as to being bad.
              "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Hugging waiters till they pop may be a felony in New York. I would be upset at having a waiter at a chinese restraunt since the waitresses tend to be so hot. But complaining about the staff being asian? Do these asshats go to a BBQ place and complain that the cooks are black? Do they whine that the guy making their burrito doesn't even know english? Hopefully they don't complain about the color of the silverware.

Comment

I've only gotten racist comments from one regular, though others love to point out the race difference ad naus. Ferreals? I'm not Asian?? Does Mom know?? Arg.

RetailWorkhorse- awwww. Southern looove. ^_^ I was born in NoVa, but I lived most of my life in Culpeper, Virginia(which made the chilipepper term even more amusing). The Yankees aren't killing my accent... the Canadians are! I get mistaken for Canadian(usually Newfoundlander) a lot more often than the correct Virginian. I had no idea Canadians said y'all or reckon. I came up here for my boyfriend, stayed for the garbage plates.

Evil Queen- YES. UGH. Most of the time, they're cool, but sometimes it gets annoying. The other day the head cook was joking about how I'm too tall for him(I'm 5'11", he's maybe 5'2"?). Then all the other staff HAD to point out that I'm the tallest person there, AND a girl! I can't stop laughing, really. I hadn't really thought about being too tall for the staff, I figured having a very serious boyfriend took me out of the running well enough. These shoes were made for walking, but they can handle kicking your ass in a pinch.
                  "I don't have to take this abuse from you, I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me."
                  "Free at last from my vegetable prison!"
                  X-Strike Studios: Video game movies done RIGHT!

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                    I don't trust Chinese restaurants that AREN'T staffed by nearly exclusively Chinese ... they're almost never good. And often go so far as to being bad.
                    Agreed. Thankfully those kinds are an oddity as they should be.. we had friends whose daughter was waitressing at an Italian Restaurant who was owned and operated by a New Zealander with no Italian heritage. That was a bit odd.. and as expected, they didn't do anything too well.
                    - Boochan

Comment

Working...
                    X