X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non customer entitlement whores

Change Vultures

Someone who comes to the store with no intention of making a purchase, but expecting the clerk to make change like a bank. I generally refuse to open the drawer for any reason except customer purchases or safe drops. There is no other valid reason I can see for a store clerk to have the drawer open, and management does monitor the number of no sales registered per shift. So, I tell anyone who asks in plain English that I only give change for purchases. I will, however, allow an occasional exception for regulars or people wanting change for the air machine or payphone.

So, I get this guy in my line yesterday during one of the rushes. All he wants is to trade a $20 bill in for a $10 and two $5 bills or four $5 bills. I'd already shut the drawer since the customer in line before him, so I tell him that I'll see what I can do next time I open the drawer. He just stands there looking expectantly at me until I finally ask him to move aside so the next customer can come up. He grudgingly moves aside, just barely, sighing to let me know that he's put out because I won't just open the drawer for his change request. I really don't give a crap, though, as I ignore the hoofstamp dance he's doing.

The next customer steps up to the counter, and I ring her up without incident. I take her money, give her change, and she goes on her way. The change vulture barely give her time to get out of the line before he scoots back in front of the customer behind her, and demandingly blurts out his request again as he tossed his $20 bill on the counter. I quickly evaluate what's in my drawer, and notice I only have three $5 bills. I offer him two $10 bills for the $20.

He acts put out, and starts whining that he needs $5 bills more than he needs $10 bills. He even tries to lean forward to look into the drawer as if he has the right to second guess my offer. I push the drawer almost closed, and restate that two $10 bills is all I can offer, take it or leave it. He rolls his eyes, muttering, "Fine, but that doesn't help."

I just shrug and snatch up his $20 bill, throw two $10 bills on the counter, and shut the drawer without another word to him. He storms off almost shoving his way through the line of customers waiting at the other register. The customer behind him made a comment about the nerve of some people, and we both laughed about it. I just commented to her that jerks like him aren't important enough to ruin my day.

We're greedy because we don't give out plastic utensils

This is a complaint I'm hearing more frequently. Like most c-stores, we have a small grocery section with things like tuna salad kits, vienna sausages, canned soups and stews, etc. Of course, we also have the pre-packaged microwaveable sandwiches. We also have pints of ice cream in our freezer. The one thing these foods have in common is that you need utensils of some kind to eat them. We used to get courtesy plastic ice cream spoons, but we no longer even get those. All we have are the packages of plastic utensils for sale on the shelves.

Every so often, we get someone wanting plastic utensils for food they purchased. I used to direct them to the ice cream spoons when we had those since they were free. Now, all I can tell them is that we have the boxes of plastic utensils for sale on the shelves. The people who grumble that they don't want to have to pay for plastic utensils just grate on my nerves!!! First of all, I didn't ask what you want. I just offered the best suggestion at my disposal based on your request. Don't whine to me because you're too cheap to buy a set of utensils, or not smart enough to keep your own utensils handy. As for me, I usually bring my lunch (and my own utensils from home to eat it). I could grumble that we don't have any fresh brewed tea, which I much prefer over bottled tea, but instead I just buy tea bags and bring a ziploc baggie of them with my lunch to brew my own iced tea by the cup at work.

Even so, we get a few whiners who carry on about it like we're expected to furnish plastic utensils as a courtesy in the same way fast food restaurants do. Sometimes, if I or one of the other clerks decide to bring take out, we might leave the extra napkins, utensils, condiment packets, etc., in a box we keep in the supply cabinet for such odds and ends. However, it's hit or miss what's in there. I usually leave whatever can be reused like that in there for just in case, but others may take it, too. The point is that it just really drives me nuts that people whine about something so stupid rather than just buying a box of utensils, saving what they don't use then for later, and moving on with life. I guess because that's what I would do, I would think everyone else might also.

Here's what inspired this particular rant, the manager had a cup of yogurt she'd just finished yesterday. She'd brought her own spoon (her actual everyday silverware from home, not plastic), and a customer wanted to know if he could have it when she was done so he could eat a can of soup. She told him it was hers, and pointed him to the boxes of plastic utensils. He refused to buy the utensils, and left in a huff. A few days ago, I had a guy whining around for five minutes before he finally left (after I got tired of hearing him and told him to get a life) because he bought a pint of ice cream, and we had no ice cream spoons for him. I told him there were utensils on the shelf, but he didn't want to buy them.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

While I understand their pain...I can understand your stores pain. I have seen people go in, not buy any food and wander away with several sets of silverware.

Also at a icecream shoppe I treated Mom too, a guy was standing there with his daughter who had gotten a bit of chocolate on her cheek. He grabes about two inces worth of napkins, hands them all to her she dabs off that one spot and proceedes to throw every single napkin out. The servers in the store noticed this and pulled the napkin dispensor back behind the glass and when the guy went to go get another handful her was given two and the window was closed.

Comment

It's because of people like that that at my dairy store the employees are the only ones to hand out spoons, straws and napkins and No One is allowed to give out change, unless they are manager in a good mood. So almost never.
      "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

I am glad that I keep a roll of paper towels in my car. I also keep a box of utensils in the side pocket of the car also. Hey you will never know when you might need one.
        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
          Change Vultures

She'd brought her own spoon (her actual everyday silverware from home, not plastic), and a customer wanted to know if he could have it when she was done so he could eat a can of soup.
          Thats just over the top rude!

Sure we can offer free utensils but your wait in line will be 10 min. longer because we had to fire 2 cashiers to make room in our budget just so you dont have to wait till you get home to eat your precious ice cream.

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
            I am glad that I keep a roll of paper towels in my car. I also keep a box of utensils in the side pocket of the car also. Hey you will never know when you might need one.
            I do about the same - I keep extra napkins and such in my car, and have a bucket 'o' utensils on my desk at work, filled with plastic silverware, along with a pack of paper plates in my drawer, so I have dishes if I bring dinner to work with me. It's good to be prepared.
            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

My work provides plastic utensils, styrofoam cups for coffee, and those little paper cone cups for the water coolers. Also tea bags, coffee, sugar, powdered creamer, stirrers, and even half&half dispensers. All this is free in each of the breakrooms (which there are 5, including the main cafeteria, which has the coffee station in the dining area, outside the actual food-buying area). The cafeteria also sells Starbucks coffee, Tazo teas and hot cocolate packets (Starbucks and Swiss Miss) if you want to pay for it. I gotta say, though, that the utensils from the cafeteria (provided by the company that runs it) are a lot better quality than what's in the break rooms.

When I worked in the stores they always kept plastic utensils and cups in the breakrooms, but they were bought out of the store budget from Sam's or Costco or wherever.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

There are only maybe 10 employees total in the pharmacy. We all usually take one for the team and buy it out of our own pockets, and put it back in the kitchen area. So far, the one pharmacist bought a coffee maker from the floor when it went on sale, and buys coffee, filters, cream, and sugar for it ( as she's the main user of said supplies ), and everyone else buys the other bits, such as spoons, knives, forks, plates, cups, etc.

It works out well.

Being the pharmacy, we don't have any asshats who whine about not having forks or whatever, which is also nice.

Comment

Many convience stores are becoming half-assed fast food joints. I think it is unreasonable to sell prepared food (or prepared by the customer on-premises) and not provide utensils. You could buy those little packages that have all of them and a napkin, keep them behind the counter and hand them to the customers when they pay. You could add the cost to the items.
                  Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Single packs of plastic utensils should be sold IMO. Sure its a major waste, and would probably have a large markup, but at least it would keep people a bit happier then normal. On the change thing, we don't do it unless its a nearby store that we are friendly with asking (just like with our ladder, we are the only store down our end of the mall that owns a ladder) with. Customers..? No thanks, as we run out of denominations very fast during the day as we have a seemingly endless amount of people paying for transactions under $5 with fifties or hundreds anyway that we can spare to break your large note?

Thankfully nobody ever complains when we are out of change (It happens very often that we run out of $10 & $5 Bills, $2 and $1 Coins) and we have to hand them a huge amount of silver coins.
                    - Boochan

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
                      Many convience stores are becoming half-assed fast food joints. I think it is unreasonable to sell prepared food (or prepared by the customer on-premises) and not provide utensils. You could buy those little packages that have all of them and a napkin, keep them behind the counter and hand them to the customers when they pay. You could add the cost to the items.
                      Actually they can resell those prepared utensil packages......

But I am cheap sonofabytch and always carry my own and would hate to pay extra for the benefit of others.
                      SC Motto "I am more important than you and others and don't you ever forget it"

Comment

I have literally had people come in and ask for:

napkins
                        spoons/forks/knives (plastic)
                        mustard and ketchup packets
                        a pack of matches
                        a few coffee cups
                        a couple of plastic bags for their garbage
                        ask if they can eat their pre-packed lunch (and all the stuff they wanted for free) on our patio...

AND NOT BUY A DAMN THING!!!

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
                        ~Clerks

Comment

Bit of a confession here, but last year me and two freinds bought three pints of ice cream at a dollar general, and stole three spoons to eat with, the package of spoons was stuffed in the back of the shelf and half-empty, we probably weren't the first to have this idea.
                          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!
                          What does it mean?
                          I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Comment

Doesn't sound like very smart business practices to me to sell ready to eat items without having free plastic utensils to go along with them. You're going to sell things ready to eat right then in single servings there should be some small provision for something to eat them with, even if you have to charge a dime or so for them. Mr Calulu and I used to own and operate a convenience store in a rural area and without question we had plastic forks and spoons for free but I never recall people coming in to swipe a spoon that weren't buying something too. Factor it into the cost of the item and raise the sticker price to reflect a cheap crappy plastic spoon.

The change deal is a little bit tricker, if you don't have change how can you be expected to provide it.
                            "No, I will not poop a shopping cart out for you." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Quoth calulu View Post
                              Doesn't sound like very smart business practices to me to sell ready to eat items without having free plastic utensils to go along with them. You're going to sell things ready to eat right then in single servings there should be some small provision for something to eat them with, even if you have to charge a dime or so for them.
                              If it makes sense, it's not allowed. The higher ups generally won't give anything away for free, as it "affects" their profits and therefore their oversized bonuses.
                              And of course, if you charge for them, you will have people bitching and moaning about it.
                              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Working...
                              X