Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to time servers, but then it's my luck to usually have poor service. On a slow night they get 5 minutes to take my drink order, on a busy night 10-15 minutes depending on how busy.

For you servers - I know it's hard. To make almost any customer happy, just apologize! Even if you have to pass me without helping me, take the 5 seconds to say "I'm sorry, I haven't forgotten you, just let me take care of this and I'll be right back." It "resets" the customer's clock and usually elicits some sympathy for poor busy you!
    WoW addict: Rogue, Paladin, Hunter, Priest!

Comment

*gasp, shock & surprise* I had someone thank me for telling them about the no-smoking . Poor addict was standing by the door, but not under the awning despite the rain, and I had to tell him that no smoking is allowed within 100' feet of the building. He was so horrified and moved so quickly to put out his cigarette that I volunteered the nearest location (that I knew about) where it was safe to smoke.
      I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Quoth TryNotToBeThatOne View Post
        I had to tell him that no smoking is allowed within 100' feet of the building. He was so horrified and moved so quickly to put out his cigarette that I volunteered the nearest location (that I knew about) where it was safe to smoke.
        100 feet? dang, where are you? In Austin, it's only 15 feet, at least where I work. I always (nicely) inform new students/instructors to my campus that they need to stay outside the yellow lines, especially if Officer R or G are working. C will issue a warning, but R and G will immediately give tickets.

BTW, I am an evil smoker myself, but even at home, I smoke outside only....but it's only about 5 feet, depending on the weather, and I own the place!
        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth NightWatch View Post
          I like you in a bad mood, you're brutal and it makes me giggle.
          My writing is always better when I am angry. That is why in college I went 2 for 2 with getting letters to the editor published. One of which dressed down one of the editors herself....who later I ended up becoming good friends with!

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
          In my opinion, what happens in some of these cases is the SC gets embarrassed and some people don't know how to handle embarrassment. He probably felt that way when he was informed...and he reacted badly
          Or perhaps he was just a douchebag.

Quoth trunks2k View Post
          In somewhat defense of the second guy, I would never ask for a server to wait on me. I don't think I should have to flag a waiter/waitress down to be waited on, except if it's for something a bit out of the ordinary. I once waited over a half an hour for a waitress to wait on me, she even came over to our table.... to ask us if we were using the extra chair.

After 45 minutes I ended up getting PO'd enough to get up and leave and complain to the manager...

That said, I'll wait a good 10 minutes before I start getting annoyed that I haven't been served yet.
          These people had not been there for more than a few minutes. And perhaps you shouldn't have to ask to be served, but sometimes it is just possible people don't see you, as they are having tunnel vision. It happens. A simple "Excuse me..." usually does the trick. But these people didn't give us a chance.

Btw, if they had waited 30 or 45 minutes, I would have fully backed their right to complain loudly and vociferously. That is totally unacceptable, and I have been the customer in that situation. But they didn't. So, yeah, fuck 'em.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            Um....what?!?!??!

In Florida, while you can smoke at open air establishments, you cannot smoke inside an enclosed restaurant. The law has been on the books for several years now.
            Actually if the establishment does more than 50% of their sales in alcohol purchases you CAN smoke inside.

This basically limits it to Bars and Night-Clubs, because restaurants do most of their business in food-sales.

I'm not sure of the exact wording of the law though, but by that reasoning it seems that you can also smoke inside of liquor stores
            <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Lingering Grin, not quite.

See, the original law was GOING to be all bars and restaurants, but of course the bar and restaurant situation fought that tooth and nail. And they got some exceptions:

--Open air establishments, regardless of their food/liquor sales.
              --Establishments that don't serve any food.
              --Establishments whose food sales are below a certain percentage of their total sales....I do believe it's somewhere around 10%, not 50%. Of course, as always, I reserve the right to be horribly and embarrassingly wrong. I don't think I am, though, as I only know of a couple places in this town that serve food but meet the exemption.

Still A Customer."

Comment

I read the title and thought, "Because you like it?"

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  Lingering Grin, not quite.

See, the original law was GOING to be all bars and restaurants, but of course the bar and restaurant situation fought that tooth and nail. And they got some exceptions:

--Open air establishments, regardless of their food/liquor sales.
                  --Establishments that don't serve any food.
                  --Establishments whose food sales are below a certain percentage of their total sales....I do believe it's somewhere around 10%, not 50%. Of course, as always, I reserve the right to be horribly and embarrassingly wrong. I don't think I am, though, as I only know of a couple places in this town that serve food but meet the exemption.

I think it might be a bit higher than 10%. There was a hookah bar near where I used to live that did a LOT of business in food/coffee/tea sales. Sure they did a lot more in renting hookahs and selling alcohol and tobacco, but I'd say they definitely did more than 10% in other stuff. Lots of yuppies buying tea, and they actually had decent food, not that unusual, hell the best chicken tenders in town were made by the bar I use to frequent. I went there for lunch on more than one occasion and didn't order a single beer.
                  Last edited by Lingering Grin; 04-01-2008, 06:44 AM.
                  <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

"According to the law, if a restaurant's patio is enclosed 50 percent or more on the sides and at least 50 percent above, smoking is not allowed.

Smoking will be allowed in stand-alone bars and nightclubs where food sales provide less than 10 percent of the establishments' revenue."
                    Taken from an article about the Florida smoking ban, which was printed the day the new law took effect.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
                      I think it might be a bit higher than 10%. There was a hookah bar near where I used to live that did a LOT of business in food/coffee/tea sales. Sure they did a lot more in renting hookahs and selling alcohol and tobacco, but I'd say they definitely did more than 10% in other stuff.
                      Perhaps they have a special exemption? I don't know Florida laws, but Philadelphia has a bar & restaurant smoking ban that is absolute but bars that are geared towards tobacco, i.e. hookah bars and cigar places, are exempt.

Comment

Working...
                      X