Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How dare you clean your conveyor belt!

This happened yesterday; and to me, was ample demonstration of how sucky some people can get over nothing. -.-

The story begins with an incredibly sucky, but unidentified customer who apparently picked up a leaky milk bottle. Whoever it was spilled a huge puddle on the belt, then buggered off so that I didn't see it in time to catch it before it went underneath and therefore all over the belt. -.- There was a slight lull, which I used to wash down my belt in order to remove all traces of milk. I had to wet the belt a lot to make sure that the belt was milk free, as just wiping it with a dry cloth does not eliminate the smell.

Anyway, sod's law would decree that just as I was about to dry off the belt, a veritable swarm of customers appeared. Every single one whined about the wet belt. Firstly, it's food friendly harmless cleaner. It's also so weakly diluted that you could probably drink it and not come to harm. It's not bleach, and it won't hurt your shopping; most of which is so over packaged anyway that nothing short of a pair of scissors could get thru to it. Second, it's a bit hard for me to dry it off when you all keep coming to my till. And finally, would you prefer it if I'd left the milk on? Nope, you'd all be whinging about that too.

Just wish some people would just get a life; if you prefer a dry till, then go to another one and let me dry mine off. -.-
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Sucky customers bitch about the most trivial of things.

Comment

God, people are so impatient and ridiculous. If I was a customer, I'd be happy to wait for you to wipe off the belt so I wouldn't get icky, stinky milk all over my purchases.

I worked as a grocery store cashier in high school, and I feel your pain. The belts get very dirty, VERY quickly, with leaky milk jugs and bloody meat dripping all over the place and they have to be cleaned often, or else it becomes a health hazard.
      My Myspace, add me!

Comment

Milk Maid

If it had been my milk carton that leaked, I'd have offered to clean it up myself!
        Of course, I have a conscience, so there you go.
        ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

Quoth Demonoid Phenomenon View Post
          If it had been my milk carton that leaked, I'd have offered to clean it up myself!
          Of course, I have a conscience, so there you go.
          Reminds me of the other day when my boyfriend was at Dicks trying on shoes close to closing time. (I worked in a shoe department for far too many years of my life which I will never get back) And while I was waiting for him to finish, I caught myself straightening the displays and tucking in the shoelaces. Needless to say, the sales guy didn't stop me

I think I'll be a retail slave long after I stop working retail, lol.
          "What size can I get you, ma'am?"
          "Red."
          "Okay...I'll check the red for you, but what size do you need?"
          "RED!"
          "..."

Comment

Geez, I was in Lowe's a couple weeks ago and the lady before me was buying a bunch of plants, which leaked mud and dirty water all over the checkout counter. The cashier evidently didn't see it, and I spotted a roll of paper towels at the unused adjacent register. I grabbed them and did a quick mop up of the mess.

Cashier didn't even take the dirty paper towel and toss it. I just wadded it up and left it on the counter, as I didn't have much choice. She just stood there with a blank look on her face.

I mean, geez, I'm trying to be helpful, here. You don't need to give me the keys to the city, but you could maybe toss the trash for me. I didn't even hold it out to her the way some people do. Technically, it wasn't even my trash.

Comment

Quoth IHateStupidCustomers View Post
              Reminds me of the other day when my boyfriend was at Dicks trying on shoes close to closing time. (I worked in a shoe department for far too many years of my life which I will never get back) And while I was waiting for him to finish, I caught myself straightening the displays and tucking in the shoelaces. Needless to say, the sales guy didn't stop me

I think I'll be a retail slave long after I stop working retail, lol.
              I catch myself facing things on shelves when I'm grocery shopping. Makes the people who actually work there give me funny looks.

Comment

I'm always fronting/facing/straightening ... you just can't get rid of the retail in you. Actually, I've been doing that since I was a kid, since my mom was the type that would decide she didn't want that ice cream when she got to the cashier and would stick it in the magazine rack. Guess who always ran it back to the freezer? *sigh*
                I love mankind ... it's people I can't stand. -- Linus Van Pelt

Comment

Count me in as someone who faces and folds at retail stores. I just can't help it, even when my mom laughs at me - if I find something all messy, I straighten it, when I find clothing strewn about, I tend to refold, and if I find something misplaced in the store, I'll put it where it belongs. I've been known to spend 10 minutes rearranging nail polish or lip gloss back into the correct slots before.
                  "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Glad I'm not the only one who catches myself fronting and zoning in stores that I don't work in! I'll also scold people I'm shopping with if they don't refold the clothes they look at properly. As for dirty conveyor belts, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you don't clean up that chicken juice ("OMGBBQ that's yucky and I'll die if I touch it!!!eleventy!1!"), they'll complain about it, and if you do, they'll complain that the belt is wet.

Of course, every now and then you'll get the laid-back people who are perfectly content to stand there and wait patiently while you clean and dry the belt; they love the idea that they can know there's nothing icky on it, and usually use the time to dig out their method of payment and so on.

Then again . . . you'll also get the dickheads that just can't wait for you to finish, and will proceed to plop their purchases smack in the middle of the chicken juice puddle without a second thought.
                    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Pesonally when I get to a wet till I always go "Please tell me this isn't something gross." But always with a laugh so I get one out of the cashier.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                        Sucky customers bitch about the most trivial of things.
                        Which is one of the main things that make them sucky customers.

I agree, that was a no win situation. Those customers no doubt would have bitched if the milk was just left on the belt.
                        "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                        ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Quoth Triscuitty View Post
                          I catch myself facing things on shelves when I'm grocery shopping. Makes the people who actually work there give me funny looks.
                          I do that too. Fiancé felt the need to explain my behaviour to the cashier (our favorite cashier, BTW! He alone made us decide to switch stores permanently, but he doesn't know it of course.) after I put a cart back to its place (it wasn't ours, it was just in the way of the queue...) and took some wrapping plastic I stepped on during our shopping and to the trash can while Fiancé loaded up the groceries... I came back just in time to hear fiancé sigh and say "...she works in retail too. Sorry!" Cashier laughed and said it was awesome, and thanked me.
                          Customer (on the phone): YOU ARE DUMB! D-U-M-M!
                          Me:

Comment

Ewww... milk smell...
                            Stupid customers... just be glad you don't have stinky milk residue on your food!

This reminds me of when I was little - just tall enough to see over the belt. I was absolutely obsessed with how the belts would be wet sometimes! I always wondered, did they get wet when they went underneath? I was also intrigued by that metal zipper thing that attaches the two ends of the belt together. I couldn't figure out what it was for!
                            All that glitters has a high refractive index.

The meat is rotten, but the booze is holding out.
                            -> Computer translation of "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

Comment

I, too, am a compulsive straightener. Sorting through movies in racks, if I find one in an obviously wrong place ("Saw" in the kids' section), I will put it where it belongs. I've even answered questions that the service guys don't know ("Need to plug your DVD into an old TV? Use this over here...")

What's worse, because part of my current job is 'proofreader', I find I am looking for mistakes in texts. I'll flip through a menu and note changes in fonts, bad grammar, etc. It'll even catch me when I'm watching the crawl on CNN and find a mistake.
                              "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Working...
                              X